Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I really liked it.

Loken and horus having essentially a proxy conversation for the emperor and horus was well done and cypher getting the astronomicon lit i didnt see coming.

also yeah gently caress erebus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh cool one of my favorite topics

Cypher

Cypher is pretty much how he is named, a big old gently caress off mystery and he is one of neato-est thingies in the dark angels lore Originally on Caliban pre-terran dark angels, they were known as the knights of caliban. there was a role known as the "lord cypher" basically the keeper of all the great mysteries and secrets of the "chapter" (this was pre-astartes) those chosen for this role lost their name and past and would act as a mentor and advisor to the chapter. during the heresay the current lord cypher ended up lumped in with luther and the fallen and is considered basically target alpha for the dark angels. however no one really knows what his motivations are. he has a big gently caress off sword he carries on his back but never draws. it is rumored that it is the lion sword, and his destiny depending on what theorycraft you subscribe to is A: he is destined to kill the emperor or B: he is going to present the sword to the emperor to atone for the sins of the chapter. or C: gently caress if i know e: oh and D: The sword is a key, much like the other so called "heavenfall blades" that opens... something. maybe the prison of luther, no one knows. Dark angels are pretty much super secret squirrels about everygoddamn thing

In the titular book "Cypher" he legitimately makes it all the way to the sanctum imperialis before being stopped at the very end by a dying custodes telling him "not yet" and he legit walks away, all the while being hunted by dark angels who have murderhoboed their way through the imperial palace looking for him. He gets away, but often pops up in other lore, sometimes helping the imperium, sometimes attacking them. Him playing a critical role in firing up the astronomocon was a really nifty thing lorewise.

a good example of the tone of that book:
"Which is more important, the truth or what people believe? Most would say the truth, but that is too easy. No one actually wants the truth. Not in this universe. Hearing the truth is like looking on the face of a god – you have a moment of pure revelation, and then you are ash carried away to oblivion, knowing nothing, seeing nothing. When people say they want the truth, they mean that they want something they can understand, something that fits, that they can carry around in their thoughts like a relic, to touch and take away the fear of what they are living.

Am I a traitor? Am I one soul, or am I many? Have I had many names or only the one? Do I wish redemption or vengeance? It’s comforting to be able to pick one, and then see everything fall into line behind it – villain-hero, right-wrong, on and on. That’s what people want when they ask for the truth. They want the lie that makes the world simple.

But you are not like that, are you? You know that it is better not to ask for the truth. That what you should ask for are secrets."

Its very pointedly an unreliable, or at best a suspect narrator, often addressing the reader directly

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 28, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i would also submit the whole lore of the the emperor has evolved to where its not just even remotely simple or clean cut anymore.

the whole scene where horus realizes big E isnt even acknowleging him or talking with him at all was really well executed

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yup.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
alpharius grammaticus and persson were def the ones i wanted to see in the people list at the beginning of any/all these books.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ok its been a full day of reflection and re-reading a few parts

gently caress erebus. i know loken dying was thematically appropriate but ugh i hate that loving guy

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
uh doesnt sindermann drop that name as he is leaving?

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 28, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

for real.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you dont have to wade into a pool of sewage looking for corn.

you can just go buy corn at the store.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
perpetuals just even the concept of them are complicated not sure why they decided to add highlanders but welp

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Arc Hammer posted:

Literally a bit from TTS Emperor the absolute balls of Abnett for putting that in.

.... still missed the opportunity for custodes to be just OTT fabulous.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
still should have cut off gooeymans life support. :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Potato Salad posted:

the squats are still missing, so who knows

https://www.warhammer.com/en-US/shop/warhammer-40000/xenos-armies/leagues-of-votann

or are they?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
cant trademark squat or squats, much like space marines.

but uh they are space dwarves.. hello?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
maybe they are just the high techno ones? GW is always a mystery on how they do stuff.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/04/05/the-saga-of-the-squats-from-space-dwarfs-to-the-leagues-of-votann/

but Gee Dubs seems to disagree with your assessment.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

lines posted:

Oh I like this.

yeah. im cool with the old guy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i read the eisenhorn and ravenor books im assuming the bequin ones are worth reading as well?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

euphronius posted:

Yes and also Magos

yeah read that one for sure eisenhorn was like the first abnett book i read.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Fischig.. and its like a :tviv: at that point

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just love the nuance that hey, if you cheat or you take the quick path because "it is required becuase reasons " lol.

dont gently caress with chaos.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
that being said a titan?

poo poo.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
nope sorry

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 1, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
chaos should be a transitive phase.

the weird poo poo that comes between what is and what will be.

its required.

but eternal chaos? LOL

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
finished pariah last night

i pretty much was :tviv: the entire time.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
finished penitent last night. ok when the gently caress is the last book coming out?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
.... i shouldnt have blown through the bequin books :smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Potato Salad posted:

it's not his sword :c00lbutt:

cyphers got that :colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bohemian Nights posted:

Couldn't order TEatD 3's collector edition, I bet

:mad: too soon

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
this is the 2nd 40k meme ive seen frome that interview in as many days.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:ssh: did he really?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Z the IVth posted:

I think he might turn out to be Eisenhorn's new buddy.

ok that would be rad as gently caress and ive been racking my brain about that particular dude.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks i hate it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just want to know whats up with the king in yellow and the immaterial college.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DirtyRobot posted:

Tread softly, Kylaer, because you tread on our dreams.

for realsies. :mad:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phenotype posted:

So I've read my first Warhammer books! Fun stuff, if a little schlocky. Read the first Eisenhorn trilogy (very good) and the first Cain anthology (not as well-written but I think the character is more fun) as well as starting on the Eisenhorn Magos book, which has kinda sucked so far, most of it is short stories that don't actually have Eisenhorn in them.

What else should I try? What are the better series? I'd like more Cain novels but as far as I can tell they're all out of print and overpriced. Do I just have to buy digital for most of it?

ravenor and bequin series if you liked eisenhorn

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Abaddon is a great character as developed because he really shows the limits of chaos, its self-defeating nature and the kind of person it attracts. The one thing he could do that would defeat the imperium is the one thing he can never, by definition, do: unite the chaos powers behind him. They won’t ever let him accomplish his goal because then they have no leverage over him, and he won’t ever give in to them because then he’d never accomplish his goal. He’s a guy running on an endless treadmill chasing a carrot, and by this point he must know it, but he’s too stubborn to change course. He has forgotten how to be anything other than what he is.

just want to magnify this. because :hmmyes:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
apparently they are doing a call of duty crossover as well according to dataminers so hey they might just be whoring that IP around

(yes they are whoring that IP around lol its gw)

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
oh my loving god yall are not doing this

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ooof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Plucky Brit posted:

Abnett definitely stuck the landing with EATD Part 3. Now bring on Pandaemonium!