Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Both good ideas. That is a good point about the codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, Angron grew on me as well, the actor did a really good job with him. Combine that with the good writing and it really makes you sympathize with him and understand his motivation which goes beyond just rage.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

MrNemo posted:

As for the memory thing, what would happen in the case of progenoids being lost? Would the chapter then seek to induct a wholly new legionary finally? I mean there's no definite reason to since the memory thing is down more the psychoindoctrination than something in the gene seed. On the other hand would that mean that any new initiate would be using geneseed taken from a marine who had already supplied progenoids (so there would be two initiates with the geneseed from one original marine). How would that be handled? Likewise implanatation results in rejection in a number of cases, if the geneseed is rejected is that marine then gone from the record too?

I guess I can see nitpicky lore details with the association of specific geneseed with the donor's identity that seems unnecessary. I would be a bit cleaner to just say that when a brother is lost their memories are brought up to be instilled into the next generation as another takes on their alloted task.

There wouldn't be two of the same Marine running around because they would use any duplicates for the tithe. And yeah, if the geneseed is rejected it would be viewed as the soul, or whatnot, of the previous warrior preferring eternal rest or something like that. (Thanks for bringing that up, I didn't think about rejection)

As for the progenoids being lost, if that is the case then the warrior is viewed as lost as well and the memories are added to the Hall of Honor. While they technically only need the memories and not the geneseed, it is more ritualized so they view the geneseed as being a vital part of the process.

Fresh geneseeds (can they make fresh gene seeds, I forget) would equal a wholly new legionary who would begin the start of a new line of marine heritage.

And feel free to be nitpicky. I like nitpicky because it helps flesh things out better.

As for Angron, I like that it is a bit more than just him being full of rage due to the nails, and angry at the Emperor over being denied his final battle. I like that he disagrees with the Emperor's methods of compliance and likens it to what he was fighting against on Nuceria and that the only reason he fights for the Emperor is because of the nails. It is probably also the reason why he fought against his own captains and has such disdain for his legion since he probably just views them as tools to do something that he doesn't agree with, but has no choice in the matter.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Cythereal posted:

You say that as a joke, but that last bit actually happens in A Thousand Sons. One of the psyker-remembrancers notes that one of the unique luxuries on Prospero is that restaurant staff don't have to ask you for your order.

Somewhat :nsfw:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05hTBAOnDQE:nsfw: (Everything is censored though)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Didn't they then do a similar campaign when Cities of Death first came out? I remember that being a lot of fun, though my battle reports of my Tau army getting its rear end kicked by my friend's IG probably shouldn't have counted because we played pretty stupidly. (No points, no force org, no objectives most of the time, just his armored company against my poo poo ton of rail guns)

Nothing like having a blast trying to take him down by allying my Tau with my other friend's Templars, and another friend's Demonhunters and still getting our rear end kicked. (though like I said, it was still a blast)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

VanSandman posted:

Nobody's written a good death guard book.

I don't know, I enjoyed Cadian Blood. The Death Guard aren't the main focus, but they are the main villian.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
As cool as the art is, and it is very cool, I can't help but feel that Abaddon is screaming "What happened to my hand?"

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why does he have hosing going into his cheeks?

Well, have you ever gone to a sporting event and seen those hats where you can put a beer on either side and drink via a combined straw?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have finally gotten around to reading Fulgrim and I find it interesting that Fulgrim almost hosed up the entire surprise of the Drop Site Massacre in his carelessness. When he is trying to convince Manus to join the rebellion, he mentions that Angron, Mortarian and Lorgar had already joined Horus in the rebellion. Of course, at that point Lorgar and the Word Bearers were still pretending to be loyal. If Manus had been a bit less pissed off, he might have figured out that, at the very least, the Word Bearers couldn't be trusted.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I wouldn't mind reading them.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I dunno, I found her pretty much unremembered. She didn't really make much of an impact on me one way or the other. The wolf, on the other hand, was awesome, as was the origins of the Ragged Knight.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I like it. I didn't really get as much of a Dark Eldar vibe from it, as much as I did an Eldar Corsair feel. He seems more arrogant than sadistic. Plus, I doubt that a Dark Eldar could sustain themselves on that little pain.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I don't know about you guys, but I am really hoping that ADB does more with Kharn post Betrayer. I never thought that he could be an interesting or sympathetic character but ADB did an amazing job, and it has made me rethink the entire character. I know that I, for one, found him a much more compelling character than Garro or Loken.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, you guys are going to make me start reading some Fantasy books, then I will get sucked in, and before you know it I will be spending even more money on plastic dudes. (seriously though, I am intrigued by this whole Nagash thing, and the models look amazing so that is good marketing on their part.)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, wish me luck. I just submitted my short story excerpt for their publication submission. Here is hoping that I get picked.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think that that was the series where the one Eldar shining spear is sorta kinda in love with the one Marine or something. Also Dark Eldar worshipping Slaanesh or something. It has been a while since I read them. They were very bad.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hopefully you guys don't mind me posting this here, but as part of the oath thread, there is an achievement for writing a backstory for your model so I wrote a quick short story to go along with it.

quote:

His lips still mouthing the Benediction of Hatred, Brother Captain Garron forced himself to raise his head as the rough pull of the cruel blades against his flesh finally abated. He doubted that his reprieve would last long. As his head raised, his muscles screamed from days of hanging with his arms chained cruciform. The robed forms of his four ever present tormentors blurred into focus. They had retreated a few steps from him, bloody daggers still in hand. By now he'd grown used to the pale, waxy scar tissue that were their sole facial features.

“Your prayers fall upon indifferent ears,” said a deep, silky voice as the hulking form of the arch-traitor flowed from the shadows. The faceless humans fell to one knee at his presence, their ruined faces pressed to the stone floor, the giant paying no heed to them as he passed. Garron felt his blood turn hot with anger at the sight, his body subconsciously straining against the cruel chains that bound him. The fallen Astartes stopped in front of him and gently lifted Garron’s chin with thumb and forefinger, the sleeve of his black robe slipping back to reveal pallid skin stretched over gene-forged muscle. He leaned in close to Garron. His face was hidden behind a pristine white mask shaped in the visage of a delicate human face, a single black tear drop molded below the right eye. “Don’t worry,” he continued, softer now. “Soon you will have a captivated audience for all of your devotionals, Brother Captain.”

Garron spat, the crimson spittle bright against the ivory of the mask. “You are no brother of mine,” Garron growled, his weary voice sounding pitiful in its dryness. “You left that title with the tattered remains of your broken oaths.” He forced a defiant grin. “And if you think that a few cuts are going to break mine, you are sadly mistaken. I must thank you, in fact. It has been a while since my last proper devotional.”

A low chuckle came from beneath the mask as the hand was retracted, letting Garron’s chin drop to his chest. “It is always a pleasure to have a Son of Dorn. Without a gag, I get to hear all of the empty threats and false piety. Your Gene-Father’s stubbornness is just an added benefit.” One of the faceless thralls wheeled a stained steel table between Garron and the masked traitor. “Not that it will help you in the end,” he paused, laying several blunt instruments upon the table, before adding, “my brother.”

The masked heretic met Garron’s gaze, then slowly produced a small object from within his robes and began rolling it between his fingers. Garron’s wounds began to throb and itch. For the first time, his gaze to fell upon the mosaic of cuts and brands that marred his skin. Seeing that each one formed a profane symbol that intertwined into a blasphemous web of sigils filled him with revulsion, his vision swimming at the sight.

“What—" The words caught in this throat a moment as throbbing agony built in his wounds. He caught his breath and choked them out. "What have you done to me?"

“I was Brother Undariel, Captain of the Blood Angels Fifth Company,” the traitor said, his focus still on the object twirling in his fingers. “Glory and duty came easy. My skill was unmatched. Veldo the Blood Scourge, Warboss Eadsnappa, The Herald of the True Faith, The Hunter of Ruin, all met their end at the edge of my blade.” Undariel turned his attention back to Garron and with a slow, deliberate movement, placed the small object onto the table. He removed his hand from the table, revealing a single service stud. When Garron’s eyes met the small metal spike, the itching, burning, throbbing cacophony of sensation reached a crescendo, and he struggled just to draw breath. Carved into the embossed Aquila on the head of the spike was an intricate symbol of obscene beauty, inlaid with gold and silver. Garron tore his gaze from the garish sigil and met the mask’s empty gaze.

Above the roar of the sensory overload, only one thing was clear. “Pathetic,” Garron said. How dare this scum bother him with such insignificant deeds, “bragging of the empty deeds of a heretic. They mean nothing to me. Give me a blade so that you may witness a true skill and be sent to the Emperor to be judged for your desecration.”

“I was Sanguinius,” Undariel continued, producing a second service stud from the folds of his robes and placing it on the table beside the first. The symbol on this one crude, as if made with a chisel.

“Do not ignore me you traitorous coward,” Garron snarled, his choler suddenly rising at the slight. He pulled at his bindings, his scabbed over wounds splitting and running anew with fresh blood. “Face me!”

“I fell to the curse of my geneseed, imprisoned in the death throes of my long dead father. Cursed with unbridled rage for a death that was not mine and forced to make it my own.”

Garron could feel the hot blood pouring down his arms from where the chains bit into his arms, the pain of these new wounds joining the chorus of agony, but he didn’t care. He had to get free. He had to kill this traitor. His breath was coming heavy now, seething past lips dripping with pink saliva. He flailed against the chains, he had to get free. He had to kill.

His body slumped against the unyielding chains, fatigue winning out over his anger. Temporarily defeated, Garron’s eyes discovered that a third stud had been placed with the other two. This spike looked to be ancient and tarnished, three rusty rings hammered into the Aquila. Garron realized suddenly that the sensations in his skin had changed. Without losing their intensity, they had also gotten duller, as if they had always been there. He looked down at the wounds and saw the skin around them blackening, translucent yellow pus beginning to mix with the blood. He smiled, for in that moment he knew that his revenge would be inevitable.

“I was forsaken,” Undariel said upon seeing Garron’s rage ebb. “My father abandoned us, cursing us even in death. The corpse Emperor abandoned us to obtain godhood, condemning us to serve a bureaucracy that repays our sacrifices only with suspicion and enslavement. Even my brothers forsook me, sentencing me to death for the crimes of our father.”

A fourth stud was placed on the table. A serpentine symbol twisted and writhed on the Aquila, pulsing with unseen power. That power called to Garron. With it, he knew he could restore the galaxy to the Emperor’s vision and strike down those who wish to destroy humanity. Part of him knew the truth in this lie and railed against it, but its screams of hatred were no match for the glorious torment that drowned them out. Garron reveled in the sensation as his skin knit back together, the necrotic furrows replaced with pale pink scar tissue. The fatigue in his muscles faded away, replaced by this raw power. His scars sang with glorious sensation, every twin pulsebeat of his hearts sent strength through his veins. And in his mind, he reveled in the inevitability of all things.

“I was reborn, released from the shackles of the Imperium, my mind free from the failure of the Angel. My fate freed to find my own death.

Garron felt Undariel lift his chin again, breaking the siren hold of the four studs. The skin of his face tingled as the mask slid into place. Inside of his mind, something screamed and thrashed, trying to fight through his clouded mind and regain control.

“I am nothing,” said his forsaken Brother. “I am faceless.” Garron was vaguely aware of Undariel picking something off the table as he said, “I am eternal.”

With a hammer blow, the sound of a service stud punching through the ceramite mask and into the flesh and bone of his skull filled Garron’s rapturous ears and the screaming abruptly stopped, to be replaced by beautiful whispers.

And here is my model of Undariel the Faceless.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well... It was written by Abnett.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I am correct in thinking that there hasn't been a Night Lords Heresy book yet, correct? Just a Novella and an audiodrama, and Curze being a villian, correct?

I really enjoyed Prince of Crows and The Long Night.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I guess that I can give it a shot as well even if my writing is meh. They published Gato, so why not?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmm, just in time for the new Eisenhorn adventure game to come out, which looks pretty awesome graphically.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Klaus88 posted:

Morality systems are always poo poo. :colbert:

Except for Dishonored's take on the system.

The Witcher did it pretty well. You could be the nice guy, and do poo poo for free, but hunting stuff is your job, so you shouldn't really work for free.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Sorry, I am a bit out of the loop on BL novels, but who the gently caress is Slaughter?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Hmm, so that's interesting. Alpharius is on there, but not Calgar. Illuminati conspiracy confirmed.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I hear you on that. I wish I still had my old copy of Chaos Child by Ian Watson. I never read the other two books in the series, as I didn't have them, but it was definitely an enjoyable read, even with all of the odd things likethe Imperial Fist getting captured by the Thousand Sons, turned into a Thousand Sons Space Marine, but breaking the spell at the last second because of the power of friendship. (He lost his entire squad before this and carved each of their names onto his arm bone. These names end up speaking to him and break the spell) Also, there is a Squat character, which I always thought was odd as I had no idea what a squat was (started playing in 05) so I thought he was a midget.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

SRM posted:

Yeah seriously. The Night Lords trilogy are three of my favorite books ever, and I would never drop 75bux on them unless they were all signed by Aaron Dembski-Bowden and we got to cuddle after.

Funny you should phrase such a thing. (No, I didn't buy one. I'm broke)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
They are looking for 500 words or less as an excerpt of your story, not the full thing, as well as a plot and character summary.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I just submitted my short story excerpt to Black Library. Wish me luck.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
For the record though, they do seem to be slowly turning around in their mindset.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kind of a dick move for the Dark Angels to be massing to near Legion strength and shouting at Fenris while Logan Grimnar is over at Cadia kicking rear end and taking names.

Well, if you want to pull the Space Wolves away from the Eye, and thus help Abbadon in secret, that would be the way to do it.

As for things continuing past 40k, I am torn. Part of me wants to know where things go plot wise, but at the same time, I care more about the side stuff like the Badab War, than I care about Abbadon and his Black Crusade. I would love if they came out with a campaign book for a war inside the Eye of Terror. It could be CSM vs CSM, but if they want to add in regular marines, they could always do an Abyssal Crusade(or whatever that was called) Campaign.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 3, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

I have some good news for you, Macha is confirmed for Dawn of War III.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have started listening to "I am Slaughter." So far it is pretty interesting, and I feel like the Chrome enemies are kinda Starship Troopers-esque which is pretty cool. (Novel, not movie)

That being said, the wall-names (war names? Hard to understand which word it is) of the marines came off as a bit silly to me. When Slaughter was explaining it at the beginning by pointing out various marine names, I expected him to call one Side swipe, or Bumblebee, and then call himself Optimus Prime.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So on Spiky bits, someone just posted a screenshot of the plot summary of the next Beast Arises book. It has Iron Warriors teaming up with the Imperial Fist successor chapter from Predator Prey.

Yeah... I really hope that is just the person writing the summary being bad at their job.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

boom boom boom posted:

I'm pretty sure it was Black Templars

Nah, it's the Fists Exemplar from what I have gathered. They are apparently descended from the Imperial Fists that immediately went along with the proposal of the Codex.

Edit: Black Library submission was rejected. Oh well. Good luck to everyone else who submitted.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 10, 2016

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I think it is probably my favorite part of the fluff. Just everything about it works so well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
One of the characters in that comic also wields a bolt pistol.

And yeah, Black Library's pricing pisses me off. I listen to a lot of audio books at work through audible, and on there, $25 is a very expensive book, and one that I save my monthly credit for. The gently caress is with this $50 poo poo? I admit that I did pay that price for two books that were worth it, Talon and Betrayer, but there is no way I am going to gamble that much money on a mediocre book.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still haven't heard back from my Black library submission. Did they email you with a confirmation they received your entry, or an email with their response? I'm wondering if I messed something up when I sent my email.

I didn't hear anything back from them until my rejection. My previous submission for the Deathwatch theme I never heard anything at all. The one thing I did notice is that you were supposed to include your contact info in your email.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Mine was about a squad of guardsmen investigating a mining complex at the requisition of an Inquisitor.(one of many small squads searching this massive mining asteroid) Essentially, the output suddenly stopped, and the local teams sent in never returned.

Essentially it is a Chaos plot, and the squad faces an entity that slowly picks off the team one by one by playing on their fears, and insecurities driving them insane. They also have to go deeper into the mine in order to find an alternative exit after the first member of their squad to lose it collapses the main tunnel by grenading himself out of despair for a tragedy that he has always blamed himself for. (Brought to the surface by the chaos entity)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Khizan posted:

This sounds cool, but I think it's more a novel-scale story idea. I feel like you'd need more time with the troopers for this to really click together.

Thanks. Yeah, I am tempted to just write it anyway and see where it goes. I will probably scale down the mine size and make it in the 1800s or something. If you want to read the excerpt, I can PM it to you or post it in the thread since it didn't go anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Because Space Marines aren't really male, they are weapons made out of flesh. A female marine would be pretty much the same exact thing as a male one. (Particularly since it is established that the geneseed even goes as far as adjusting the appearance of the Marines to be closer to the primarchs)

I would much rather have female heads for guardsmen. (Since that is pretty much the only difference you would see with the armor on)

(And no. This isn't rage, just a quick justification as to why I think that females would be better represented somewhere else)

Technically, there is a very good chance that Nids are majority female, at least if you look at Hive insects like ants and bees.