Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Plus, there have been countless female guardsmen in the fluff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

The Iron Rose posted:

Exactly, I agree entirely!

Which is why I utterly fail to understand the inevitable wailing whenever someone proposes female space marines or increased female representation generally. It makes no difference within the existing universe, so why not make the change through a vehicle that doesn't make it an outright retcon (hence why primaris marines would be perfect). Since they are, as you say, just weapons independent of gender or sex, why not make the change that appeals to more folks in the real world? Let me have my power fantasy, I say.

Heck, I don't even care about any model changes (with helmeted space marines, I expect there would literally need be none), I only ever read the novels.

Because I would much prefer something that has more substance representation wise than just saying "this slab of meat started out as a woman" since the end result would be the exact same. (Even without a helmet.) That's just cheap lipservice, particularly since they aren't human anymore. Plus, there is a good chance that the genetics and geneseed and that would possibly develop them into males along the way anyway. (Seeing as all males started out female and with all the genesculpting and hormones and poo poo)

I would rather have more representation in the guard by giving us some female heads. Or updated Sisters of Battle, which are arguably more badass than the Space Marines. Or even more inquisitors.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I've been reading through Shrike lately. It actually isn't that bad and has kept my interest, unlike Deliverance Lost which I have started 6 times so far and then given up.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just finished Warmaster. It was a good introduction to a book but is that it? That stopping point isnt even a cliff hanger, it's a chapter break.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I liked Lords of Silence, though I wish it was a bit more focused on the characters like Night Lords.

I do like the fact that the Death Guard are portrayed as the Salamanders of the Chaos Marines, being very caring and protective.

The contrast of imperial perspective to the nurglings and plague marines was also great.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, it's on Audible, which is how I'm listening to it.

My only complaint with it is that I wish the main plague marine characters were a squad rather than a collection of different leaders that interact from time to time, but aren't really as connected. With Night Lords I felt like we got to know the members of first claw better and got a better sense of interaction. With the crew for this book, you learn a bit about the characters, but not enough to really care much about them. Only the lord and the tallyman seem to have any real connection.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I've mainly been a 40k guy, but the AOS lore is starting to suck me in. Are there any reccomend novels set in AOS yet, preferably in audio format? (already listened to the Gortex audio drama)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Personally, I'm partial to the chaos genestealer cults and I'm glad they brought the concept back in the first GSC codex. (there is a cult that wound up at the Garden of Nurgle who became amused and grandfatherly toward his new vector of infection)

So if you want you can make Chaotic Genestealer cults and even take it a step further and make a Dark Mechanicus cult.

Which is what I'm working on converting up. (the grub/maggot body is still a WIP and needs a few more layers of detail)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I gotta say that I'm guper glad that I grabbed a copy of the 2018 Black Library Celebration because the short story Endurance by Chris Wraight is very enjoyable. I really do hope that he continues to get work writing Death Guard because he does a really good job.

I've picked up "The Wicked and the Damned" and so far the first novella is very enjoyable.

In any case, the main reason for my post is that I just finished rereading The First Heretic and I want some more Horus Heresy Word Bearers. I already have Aurelian, Betrayer, and Know no Fear on my reading list but does anyone else have any suggestions for Heresy books worth reading if I wanted to go through the series focusing on the Word Bearers?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well I guess that's it for Death Guard then. Is there any other legion that was as shafted through the series when it came to attention?

Eisenstein wasnt really Death Guard centric like Fulgrim was for the EC, and the legion never really got their own focus book until the Buried Dagger, which man that author choice was disappointing when Black Library has an author who has been knocking Death Guard out of the park. All that's left is Mortarion being the whiny primarch when required, the White Scars novels featuring them as a villain and a short story.

Am I wrong in this?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Are the Black Plague novels any good?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Now I'm just imagining a Skaven, but wearing 1800s Robber Baron attire and at the head of multiple human factories/mines with Skaven levels of safety compliance.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

MonsterEnvy posted:

From reading about him that is pretty much the case, except that he is working with a human politician to gain power over the upper ranks of the city. He also has a human child slave who acts like a skaven due to having been with him all his life.

This owns.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I'm about a quarter of the way through the Skavenwars: Black Plague Omnibus. I gotta say, I'm really enjoying it right now. The Skaven are a lot of fun in the novel, and the Empire is very interesting. I'm looking forward to reading the Thanquol books next.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have to say that Avenging Son is pretty good so far, but man did they get the wrong narrator for what is supposed to be the first book in a new Horus Heresy novel chain. His voices tend to make some characters sound like the urgently need to find a restroom, and Gulliman has the strangest voice choice.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have been attempting to start making my way through the Dawn of Fire series because I want to know what is happening with the lore and I think I've realized why I gave up on the first book the last time I tried to get through it.

I'm twelve chapters in and I have no drat clue what is going on in the plot and I'm finding it hard to care. As far as I can tell there is a dead ship where everyone died of laziness but that doesn't matter, Terra was attacked by Khorne but it was just a dream(?), some historian is now part of logistics I guess, and now a random inquisitor showed up for some reason.

Does the plot line actually get coherent at any point or is it just a pile of characters that haven't even managed to stand out enough for me to remember their names.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Chemtrailologist posted:

The whole series so far is just useless filler from BLs lesser authors. They wrote themselves into a corner because the setting has moved ahead at least a decade, so that likely means nothing consequential can happen.

Based on your spoilers, it sounds like you haven't read Chris Wraight's Custodes novels, you should read them instead.

I probably should since I love his White Scars HH novels despite not caring about the Scars and he writes Death Guard really well.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Wait, the guy who wrote Fire Caste wrote other books and they are somewhat connected?

Neat. I thought I was the only one who liked/had read Fire Caste.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Improbable Lobster posted:

And they're all very good

I might have to pick up this collection. Has the price been released yet? (I just bought a house so my budget is currently tied up in contingency funds so that the wife and I can afford any inevitable repairs so I like to plan things ahead.)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Personally I like to view the chaos gods when taken to their extreme.

For example Nurgle is viewed as a god of decay and despair but in reality he is a god of life, and not just selective life like Alarielle. Nurgle rightly views bacteria and fungus as life as well. Bacterial decay and disease are usually at war with a healthy body, but for a worshiper of Nurgle, this war and conflict has ended and the body is able to live in harmony with the microbial and fungal life. In this way, Nurgle attempts to create a universe of homeostasis where there is no death or decay, just stagnation and status quo.

Khorne is not so much endless bloodshed but instead focused on the drive to be better than others in martial prowess and the sense of satisfaction one gets from violent pursuits and besting an opponent. It's not so much the killing, but the fight itself and post fight satisfaction that matters. This is why a Khorne champion doesn't get much enjoyment from, and usually is depicted as being annoyed by, killing weak chaff. It's also why it doesn't matter who bleeds because it is about the fight itself, the blood just being the representation of the energy of combat and testing yourself, and the skull being a representation of victory over a tough opponent. In this way, Khorne favors the weak over those who are stronger.

Tzeench is the true god of excess and overstepping boundaries. It's seeking knowlege without ethics, which includes medical experimentation which in my opinion means that Fabius Bile is more Tzeenchian than Slaaneshi. It also represents creating change at any cost, which is why betrayal and elaborate schemes are in its purview. It isn't the scheme itself, it is the desire to create a change in the status quo that feeds it.

As for Slaanesh, it is the god of obsession and fixation, and how the pursuit of obsession affects the individual. Slaanesh is one of the most interesting gods because ALL worship feeds it. A khorne warrior focusing on martial prowess feeds Slaanesh. The Eldar path system where they obsess exclusively over a single aspect for centuries at a time until they perfect it feeds slaanesh, with those lost to thr path of the exarch essentially becoming trapped by obsession. Even the Imperium's focus on genetic purity, human superiority, and worship of the Emperor ends up feeding Slaanesh. In fact all devotion, in its own way, will feed Slaanesh a little bit. Especially cults like the Adeptus Mechanicus, which obsessed over replacing flesh with the perfection of the mechanical, even to their own detriment.

The focus on sensation isn't so much the essence of Slaanesh but instead the byproduct of obsession where only the product of the obsession will provide the proper feeling of pleasure. It's essentially the extreme version of ADHD, a disorder where the brain doesn't produce dopamine properly and only produces it when the afflicted individual is either working on their current fixation or has surrounded themselves with as much external stimulation as possible in order to trigger dopamine release. Or the use of stimulant prescription drugs to slow absorption of dopamine. Slaanesh causes that in its followers. An extreme need to hyperfixate on the current obsession as well as fill one's every moment with as much external stimulation as possible at the expense of impulse control. Which essentially becomes an addiction to Slaanesh more than any other. It is this combination of obsession combined with addiction that results in the excess that is attributed to Slaanesh, though I'd argue that the excess is more of a byproduct of Slaanesh than its essence.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Quick lore question. Has there ever been mention or depiction of a Celestial Lion being a part of the Deathwatch, or is that just asking for some workplace accidents?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

AnEdgelord posted:

There is a Chaos Stormcast and it's Eternus. As anything other than a one off it's an insanely stupid idea since Slaves to Darkness already fill the role of heavily armored chaos dudes way better than slapping a chaos star on a Stormcast.

I don't want Chaos Stormcast as much as I want broken and disillusioned Stormcast renegades that have created their own enclave kingdoms and have to balance fighting for their ideals with the need to survive lest they be cast back into the forge.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

OPAONI posted:

Renegades: Lords of Excess badly needs a rework. There's something here but the plot loving meanders back and forth in the 2nd half so climaxes aren't climaxes and things just happen.

Yeah I just finished it. It was kinda a mess. It held my interest but after the first act it just kinda feels like it doesn't know what it's doing or where it is going.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Kylaer posted:

I mean. Slaanesh. What's the equivalent term for "method acting" when it refers to an author's writing process?

I mean true. And it actually kinda fits with the plotline and main character.

I enjoyed it and was entertained, it was just kinda aimless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

Miguel Prado posted:

I have been reading Spear of the Emperor again and it is just so good. I really need a sequel.

Can we think of any logical reasons that GW is holding back Spear 2 and Black Legion 3?

I would 100% preorder a sequel to Spears. I really like how ADB portrays the Celestial Lions in his work and I really want to know what is going on with the Veil wardens after the events of Spears. Especially since they have effectively written off the Imperium as a whole and things don't seem to be going well for them.