Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Can anybody confirm or deny the rumors that are springing up about the upcoming Vulkan Lives?

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

UberJumper posted:

What rumours?

At the end Vulkan apparently dies due to teleportation malfunction and burns up in the atmosphere of a planet, the last two words of the novel being "Vulkan Dies".

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Well Konrad got assassinated and his legion got its poo poo kicked in by the Ultramarines. A couple of the chaos legions also splintered pretty drat hard too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Sandweed posted:

Some of the legions got shafted that's for sure but I'm talking about the primarchs specifically.

All of the loyal primarchs are either dead or missing, Konrad and Horus is dead. Looks like the chaos primarchs got the better deal overall. Alpha legion turned to chaos, but one of the twin primarchs remained loyal, do we even know what's really going on there?

I thought it was canon that Johnson was still in stasis/sleeping in the Rock? Also yeah most of the chaos primarchs are alive but a lot of them are loving around with the Long Game in the warp and pretty much don't have any part in running their legion or anything in general really.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

That's his whole gimmick. He allowed himself to be killed by a tool of the Emperor to show the hypocrisy of the Imperium: by using a the punishment of death delivered by a tool of fear (a Callidus Assassin), The Big E was showing that Curze was no different in how he enforced compliance on his worlds: through fear on pain of death should you be anything but compliant. Pair that with his batshit crazy mental illness of being plagued with visions of his own death for his entire life and you've got the makings for one kind of super Batman/Joker hybrid: a whacked out vigilante with a flair for cavalier chaotic murder.

And Dorn is dead as poo poo. He was killed while single handedly storming some Chaos battle barge. Now the names of IF chapter masters are engraved on the bones of his skeletal hand remains.

Nope, Dorn's death was never confirmed, only one of his hands was found on the ship but no body, and since this is kinda pulpy scifi the implication is that he is either running around with sweet bionics somewhere or is a prisoner somewhere. Seriously he is literally the loving primarch of siege warfare and assaults, I doubt he died from that.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 25, 2015

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

You joke but there are only two actual confirmed deaths IIRC, and all of the others are just in stasis or 'vanished' in conveniently vague fashions.

Sanguinis: Dead
Ferrus: Dead
Roboute: Sitting on toilet
Lion: Laying on a toilet
Dorn: Missing hand
Russ: Took his first company and left
Khan: Warp
Vulkan: Find my stuff and I'll come back
Corvus: Flew into Eye of Terror
Alpharius: Still loyal obviously

Some of these are more likely death sentences than not but the point is there are a lot of deliberate open ends.

Also factoring in how GW handled the End times in fantasy and its pretty much guaranteed that they are all alive.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

They created a cannon to blow up the moon too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

DirtyRobot posted:

Fixed to better represent the book.

Edit: My favourite Nick Kyme writes Salamanders fan fiction example is that Age of Darkness short story with a Salamander and an Ultramarine. The Salamander is constantly described for his "Nocturnean temper" or whatever, yet never displays it. The whole story is the Ultramarine just being an oafish, hot-headed moron who constantly gives in to his temper and handles every part of every situation in the worst possible manner. Like it's literally a diplomatic mission, which is what you'd imagine an Ultramarine might show some skill at handling, based on anything in the fluff, but nope. The Salamander is there to be the voice of reason and be the good guy the entire time, regardless of the fluff or Kyme's own description of the characters in that very story.

Forgive me since I have not read the short story but from your description it is fairly plausible that he does describe
it accurately and by "Nocturnean temper" he means that the salamander isnt super violent at all which does indeed kinda line up with their fluff.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

Magus is the worst loving primarch, I swear to god, he just fails at everything ever. :orks:

I always felt that Magnus kinda doesn't want to succeed and wants to be stopped in some way but Tzeentch does his thing and somehow keeps him going despite this. Granted he pulls wins when he wants to but yeah.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

lenoon posted:

Traitor General and Blood Pact have a lot of insight into how chaos operates. Traitor General in particular basically shows that life on a chaos occupied planet is more weird but only slightly less lovely than life on a lot of imperial planets. Just instead of the administratum and church keeping you down you have a weird worm implanted in your arm and your boss at work now speaks to you through a mouth in the side of his neck and has sewn his eyes shut.

Ehhh, almost every time we see an "average" imperial citizens life its either in a city about to be under siege, a city already under siege, the lower levels of a hive, or a menial in a factory world. We get a reeaaaaly skewed view of how the imperium day to day life operates because of this but most imperial worlds are pretty chill. A couple of the one Cain stops off at are fine and pretty much every agriworld is nice. I mean yeah lower levels of hives suck but you are in the literal slums so its not like thats the norm.

On the other hand Chaos held worlds can be fairly chill but there is the whole "reality can spit out a literal rape demon any second if I sneeze the wrong tone" deal. Plus in those books you forgot to mention the ever present giant eldritch glyphs that floated around in the sky and that hurt to look at. Or the metal werewolf scarecrows that would kill you if you left the city.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Most hive cities are poo poo holes because they have to deal with all the pollution from mining and factory work that comes with running the day to day life of the planet. Terra literally just deals with the paperwork and religious side of things so while polluted its probably not the horrible.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I thought it was pretty much canon the Russ actually looked sort kinda clean shaven and normalish and it was just the rest of the Space Wolves that dialed the whole viking thing to 11.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Hmm i guess the implication being that all the rampant gene-seed mutations 10k years after is just the natural degradation taking effect.

That and people not super understanding how it all works.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ehhh, there have been many canon possibilities that can have the imperium win or stalemate everyone. Finding an intact STC would be one of them. Space Wolves unfucking the Wulfen Gene and/or Blood Angels fixing the black rage would also go a long way. Loyal Primarchs coming back would help, Vulkan probably functions as a partial STC library himself besides being an immortal super supersoldier. The revival of the Ultramarines primarch could help the Imperium unfuck its self. Mainstreaming the process that creates the Exorcist chapter would totally gently caress Chaos over since they are essentially a space marine chapter of blanks. A dedicated actual blank chapter of marines would wreck most of the other factions and given the population of the imperium its feasible. 2 of the fragmented eldar gods could reform and help gently caress up chaos. Eldar could die off, triggering the birth of their god of death which could gently caress up Slaanesh. The Emperor could die, become a literal god fueled by the worship of trillions of humans and kick the gently caress out of everyone. The process to create more space marines is finally hammered out by one of the like thousands of people working on it, solving that issue.

Tldr: There are as many ways for the Imperium to survive as there are ways for it to crumble.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

This going to be kinda vague but does anybody know of the Warhammer book (It might be 40k or fantasy) that had a giant chaos mutated tree/trent thing that was needed to construct something? I think it was called a trollwood or something. The memory has been bugging me and I can not tell it was real or not.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Wait did Cadia actually explode? Or was it just conquered?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Isn't Vulkan kinda not all right in the head?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I was under the assumption that Realms are essentially different Planes of existence and as such are essentially kinda like parallel worlds

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The two white scars book talk about mort falling.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Just make Flesh Tearers into Australian Marines, their world is already Australia pretty much.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Over and under odds on the eventual Magnus redemption arc?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

The blue skinned gods of ancient india was kinda clear. But yeah the other one is not so much.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I honestly think that if he got the chance to repent and come back he would. He knows Horus hosed him over, he watched most of his sons turn to dust. I have not read the super latest books like the new Fenris ones but from the Horus heresy books he seems pretty depressed with what he eventually becomes and basically is resigned to it since he has no other options.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Also Tzeench being Tzeench I totally see it as plausible that Magnus swaps even after being a daemon prince.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tzeench literally is the god of plans foiling his own plans. Its plausible. Also Magnus has his whole shards thing going on and most of his shards seem decent so they could do a arc about his shards merging into the one true magnus or whatever.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 22, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ferrus Manus being a mutant is one of the weirdest claims I have seen. Like he has weird possibly xenocrafted bionic hands but that doesn't make him a mutant.

I feel like a lot of the claims that they are beings of pure warp covered with a thin veil of people is from the Battle of the fang when Magnus gets his shitted kicked in and his skin rips and basically just reveals pure warp. I doubt GW planned ahead but if they did it would totally fit the idea proposed in The White Scar books where Magnus basically gets shattered into a bunch of warp reflections, one stronger one which goes the planet of sorcerers , the others futz about and act as deus ex machinas to help the Imperium.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 25, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

mllaneza posted:

In The Beast Arises, Vulkan fights the biggest, meanest, toughest Ork boss in the whole drat galaxy and loses. It is strongly implied he is killed. That's M33 or so.

Have you read the HH books about him, he dies and then comes back to life, thats kinda his gimmick. Did they address that in the novel or?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I thought Dorn just kinda gets shot to death on a random ship somewhere

They just found a pair of hands on the ship, shrugged, grabbed them and said "Well i guess he is dead and these are his hands".

I forgot what actual cannon source it is but its suggested he might be loving around somewhere on Terra.

I think all of the loyal primarchs who died actually have built in "He isn't really dead" fluff. Ferrus's body disappeared and Angel

Mechafunkzilla posted:

....without hands?

Bionics I guess? He is apparently tricky bastard so he might have vat grown fake hands but thats just a wild guess.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 25, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

They have him dying and regenerating leading up to them finding him, (and obviously the fact he's still around) but yes it's implied he didn't come back after getting obliterated by the big mean ork

Obviously we wont know until they make new fluff but since the Horus Heresy books had a huge subplot line of trying to get him to stop being immortal involving maguffins which ultimately failed I doubt he is dead dead from a generator explosion, dude probably did what he did before and hosed off to go do stuff.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I think whats his name baulks at the last moment and so it means he still is a perpetual.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

He is dead when they find a body. :colbert:

Apparently Vulkan essentially straight up tells a dude in the Beast Arises that Dorn is alive too.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 29, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Wait how do the Minotaurs sound. I need to know.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I am more amazed that people fall for it, like the tonal difference is staggering.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Wax Dynasty posted:

A reminder that Games Workshop put a depection of sexual assault, complete with anal rape using an anal pear, in the Primarchs anthology. It's OK though because I think Fulgrim liked it.

Thats literally slannesh's shtick though, and honestly its kinda weird that people point that out as an example with all the other super hosed up things that happen in universe, like servitors. People falling for the super sexual fake pages would be understandable if it was talking about Slanneesh or whatever.

Someone earlier in thread posted a page where Rouboute literally powerfists someone, with cheesey dialog to boot and they thought it was real.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 8, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Source is the War of the Beast series, and yeah its canon.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's lame. The Imperium sucks, most Guardsmen are ready to run away or kill themselves at a moment's notice, Commissars set up machine gun nests behind their own lines.

I know the fun of 40k is that everybody has their own 40k, but one thing that's pretty well established across the fluff is that every planet in the Imperium with a big enough population has to regularly pay a tithe of soldiers. Like, every ten years or whatever a bunch of troop transports will show up in orbit and say "yeah we need three million" and then fly off to get them all killed by Orks. If a planet can meet their quota by volunteers, fine, but I definitely get the feeling that the majority of guardsmen didn't sign up for that sweet I.G.Bill college money

Eh, the benefits of joining are actually pretty great if you live and most scenes of regimental raising in canon make it seem like it has become an honor, that is unless the planets been bled dry. . You get first claim or a high governmental position on any conquered planets after the end of a campaign which is really loving good for say someone like a hiveworlder.

Also canonly most guardsman don't run away unless poo poo has gone real south and/or chaos has appeared. Its part of their whole deal in that they are normal people with lovely equipment and yet they hold the line.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 10, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There is section in master of mankind where the emperor gets called out over it and he basically says "Those fuckers totally knew what they were doing and that the warp was hosed or else they were really really dumb" in regards the primarchs and chaos/the warp and outlines a few examples. Ill try to find the relevant passage.

Here:

Think on this, then. I prepared them all, this pantheon of proud godlings that insist they are my heirs. I warned them of the warp’s perils. Coupled with this, they knew of those dangers themselves. The Imperium has relied on Navigators to sail the stars and astropaths to communicate between worlds since the empire’s very first breath. The Imperium itself is only possible because of those enduring souls. No void sailor or psychically touched soul can help but know of the warp’s insidious predation. Ships have always been lost during their unstable journeys. Astropaths have always suffered for their powers. Navigators have always seen horrors swimming through those strange tides. I commanded the cessation of Legion Librarius divisions as a warning against the unrestrained use of psychic power. One of our most precious technologies, the Geller field, exists to shield vessels from the warp’s corrosive touch. These are not secrets, Ra, nor mystical lore known only to a select few. Even possession by warp-wrought beings is not unknown. The Sixteenth witnessed it with his own eyes long before he convinced his kindred to walk a traitor’s path with him.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 12, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I like how he refers to magnus as the sixteenth, and not his name. Emperor really didn't give a squirt of piss about any of them.

Hours is the 16th, magnus is 15th. I had to look that up because I was pretty sure magnus did not convert any primarchs.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Literally if its any chaos god (its not) it would be tzeench since there is literally an entire legion dedicated to hating the space wolves who follow him and his entire deal is mutations.

Khorne does not do the whole sorcery and insidious mutation deal and wulfen don't go on murder rampages against everything.

Its just a hosed up mutation of their geneseed likely due to the genetic foundation of many of the colonist that they draw from plus the weird Canus Helix they drink. The blood angels have the whole vampire thing going on which is way more khornate anyways. Warp fuckery can cause an increase or spontaneous increase in wulfen but its not the cause of it.

Geneseed poo poo can do weird things, seem the Laminators, the Flame Falcons, and the Black Dragons.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Moose_Knuck posted:

Manipulation and insidious mutation isn't Khorne's thing, it's Tzeentch's--I agree with that. The mutation the wulfen undergo, though, are designed to increase their prowess in battle--something that Khorne is known for. While, yes, they don't go on murderous rampages (yet), I believe it is because Khorne hasn't gotten his hooks into them yet. I'm not 100% familiar with how Khorne corrupts, but I think it has something to do with slowly pouring power into individuals over time until they become addicted to the fury and bloodlust. According to one of the 40k wikis, "The presence of the Canis Helix, it has been argued, is also linked to the Chapter's almost uncontrollable aggression, bordering on frenzy in combat possibly due to violent overstimulation of their enhanced senses." It is slowly working it's way in.

You are seeing it as something that was designed or deliberately induced, its not its literally their geneseed loving up when mixed with the genetic muddle that is Fenrisian genes. The Black Dragons literally have bone swords growing out of their arms and they are extremely loyal to the Imperium to the point the survived an Inquisitional purge with only the non mutated ones being found at fault. And the Flame Falcons literally burst into flame that would not harm them but burn the poo poo out of chaos.

They arguably might fall to Khorne because their geneseed is loving up but Khorne or the warp is in no way the cause of it.

Also it can be argued that the uncontrollable aggression that the space wolves exhibit is a front to throw people of guard. They routinely out plan the inquisition and tzeencth warhosts for example. Russ himself was noted as being extremely brilliant but often relied on his renown and appearance of a barbarian so people would underestimate him. They are politically savy enough that the Navigator houses use them as bodyguards.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 13, 2017