Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
If I really really like Salamanders can I justify reading Vulkan Lives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm reading the Soul Drinkers: Redemption omnibus and I'm not sure what it is but they are the least likable protagonists ever. Their motives are always loving dumb, the methods they use to carry out these motives are dumb, and the entire thing just seems really far-fetched even by 40k standards. I get that Sarpedon is supposed to be babby's special character or something but the stuff they show the Soul Drinker's doing with 400 Marines doesn't seem to be in line with most other fiction. I mean gently caress in Brothers of the Snake 250 Marines got trounced and they were just fighting Orks on a single planet.

Also the story of their 'decline' is so loving stupid. Sarpedon talks to some rat faced grognard about Fate and ends up an unknowing servant of Tzeentch for a period? Give me a break.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well I'm already like 600 pages in.

I'm going to go back and see how many times 'the few remaining chapter serfs' die.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah, I don't really care about fluff inconsistencies (though there are a lot), it's just that all the characters feel like something you would find in a Red Dragon Inn chatroom on AOL 4.0

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It just seems like the author didn't really know a whole lot about WH40k outside of what he was writing, aside from Rogal Dorn and the Crimson Fists being weakened, there's not a lot that references anything besides what he is writing and common things like the Inquisition. It just feels off. Why would the Chapter's veterans side with a clearly Warp-tainted novice Librarian? How would this same novice Librarian defeat a battle-hardened Chapter Master aside from a lovely deus ex machina? How could an entire Chapter be so loving stupid?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
How much agency do people under the influence of Chaos have? It seems like the earlier Heresy stuff makes it sound like they're making conscious decisions but then some other Chaos stories just make it seem like their heads are filled with darklyrics.com bullshit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There's no real 'test' for Chaos influence, and Chaos influence is supremely, supremely bad. No amount of caution is too much. Hell, even seeing drawings of Chaos symbols makes the Inquisition look at you funny.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A Great Company is like 1,000 marines strong, yeah, which makes it even loving dumber that the Inquistion would give a poo poo about Black Templars who a; basically undertake nothing but penitence crusades and poo poo and b; hate psykers, where Space Wolves are known assholes with a mutated geneseed and are likely only protected due to their status as a First Founding chapter.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think Perturabo's story is honestly the 'saddest' of all the Primarchs'. He honestly doesn't seem like someone who has drawn over to Chaos so much as he was pushed away from the Imperium. It's like, you take a capable commander and you send him to Space Vietnam over and over and over and over and despite the fact he wins them for you, everyone is so caught up on everything else like Russ killing a warboss or something and Perturabo is left with nothing but piles of dead soldiers and an order to garrison a planet that Horus' conquered and is probably getting a banquet feast about.

Perturabo realized what he was good at, he was very intelligent, and he knew that what he did was vital, but just because something is vital doesn't mean it wasn't worthy of praise. I really think the entire Heresy would have gone differently if the other Primarchs would just pass him in the space hallways and pull him aside and say 'great work on Castle-Planet Deathdoom, I know my legion couldn't have done it. Let's go get a space beer' or something.

Every other Primarch was vain and so caught up with what they were doing that they would fistfight over stupid poo poo and all Perturabo wanted was an occasional 'good job' but even that was too much. Then some stupid loving space painter made a picture of the Imperial Fists marching to victory literally over piles of dead Iron Warriors and he was like whatever. So then the Heresy happened and he got hosed over some more, so he plotted a final 'gently caress you' to Rogal Dorn and decided to flee to wherever he could find safety, which happened to be the Eye of Terror.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

I'd expect them to have enough responsibility to tell the inquisition to gently caress off every now and then when it asks them to do something incredibly stupid and counterproductive (like loving opening fire on the Great Wolf's ship).

The Inquisition, and by proxy the Grey Knights, have a lot to gain by weakening the Space Wolves.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think any of the Space Marine chapters are as informed or as powerful, ultimately, as they like to pretend they are.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the alpha legion isn't real, tartarus was an inside job, etc etc

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think I started reading Baneblade in a book store and I got super confused because the scale seemed way off. There was a bit where they were running through hallways in the Baneblade and they're big but I don't think they're like 'we have a Starbucks in here!' big.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I would imagine a lot of that space would be dedicated to the machinery that, you know, moves it around. An M1 Abrams is around half that size (slightly more than half in length, slightly less than half in height) and it looks like its like sitting in stuffy cubicles.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Yeah unless it is crewed by pygmy infant squats or something that's not 20 x 40.

The most productive of derails.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Despite the fact that they clearly are, I always find it rather odd when I mentally try to connect our timeline with the events of WH40k. I don't know why Black Library would feel the need to address something like MLK.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm not particularly religious but are people really saying that it would be a good idea to produce a body of work that says the Emperor is God and Jesus is a spacetraveling magicman?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What kind of video game do they look like they're pulled from? The only one that looks particularly noticeable is the 3rd, the other 2 could pass as hand drawn to almost anyone.

If you want to see really lovely 3D rendering as art, just look at old BL books.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'd like to talk about Deathshroud, and the Death Guard in general. Even before the weird warp calamity that turned them to Nurgle, weren't the signs already there devoid of Typhon's influence? There were 49 Deathshroud or something, and some of their number always remained 49 paces from Mortarion, and obviously they were a fan of toxic weapons and disease and poo poo.

Is this just a weird inconsistency or?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Do the warp spiders not have an Autarch? Or Exarch? Whichever the head honcho guy is.

I think I remember reading about them being 'new' but I don't remember if that was why.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Phoenix Lord?

That is definitely the thing I was trying to say, thank you. I don't know how I botched that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Vengeful Spirit is a Dota 2 character.

Also, I was reading the DoW omnibus while pooping and...christ. So bad.

The Apothecary is named Medicius. Are you loving kidding me?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Aren't the Space Wolves still basically...a Legion? Their numbers were never split the same way the other Legions were, and their only Successor chapter ended up hosed.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I picked up Helsreach last night and just finished it, it was pretty good. The bit about the Salamanders was good but it makes me sad Nick Kyme is their writer.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I did it, guys. I started writing WH40k fiction.

I am the problem.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think it's possible to be as bad as Who Dares Wins.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't think Nick Kyme is a particularly good writer. I just didn't enjoy the prose.

edit: I think I've literally read WH40k fanfiction that read better than Vulkan Lives.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 25, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I don't want to read it anymore either. :smith:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think the real 'best case scenario' is that GW simply makes them take it down and doesn't sue him into nothingness.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Blacktoll posted:

I'm sure I'm mistaken, I feel like Horus has gone from being the outright nemesis of the emperor to the misbegotten-once-treasured, reluctant traitor.

I kind of enjoyed it more when he was purely traitorous on his own accord rather then influence into it.

I'm pretty sure the WB always organized his descent into Chaos.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Does anyone else find it funny how so many BL authors basically ignore Ork personality?

Like, in Helsreach, you'd never tell that Orks shout stuff like 'kill da umies'. I mean, that's good, but it's interesting.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

It depends on the story for me. Them talking is fine for lighter ork-themed stuff but when they're supposed to be a terrifying unstoppable horde, I like the ones you can't understand. I just can't take them seriously if they're all talking like Dick Van Dyke out of Mary Poppins (Chim-chim-cheree a choppa's as lucky as a choppa can be!).

Yeah, if I had to read Brothers of the Snake and they were in 'soccer hooligan' mode it would have probably ruined it for me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I think GW has slowly tried to shift away from the over-the-top pastiche. Yeah, it's still there, but I think they're obviously trying to be less 'slaneeshi space marines ride to battle on demon guitars' and more 'guys take us seriously, please'.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
what is a j, really, anyway

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Keep in mind this is going back 10k years, so 'being shrouded in mystery' doesn't mean there is deliberate deceit.

Plus don't we know the Salamanders recruited from the 7 warrior-houses from their home world or whatever?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Big Willy Style posted:

He's referring to the Terran born marines that would have made up the legion originally. And I have no clue, nothing I have read indicates it.

In C:SM, they say that Vulkan reorganized his Legion into 7 houses, each of which recruited from one of 7 huge settlements on Nocturne.

I don't think any of the original legions have extensive histories about their Terran recruiting, all I can think of is that one White Scars tidbit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Nothing about that excerpts really implies 'consciousness' as we understand it.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Where is that image of the Custodes in the Big E text to speech thing from? Is it actually a custodes?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The last images I remember seeing of Custodes were all the weird shirtless ones, yeah, so I was confused.

How come GW spends so much money making different colors of loving Space Marines and these cool rear end guys get no model love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Typhus is in fact a nice model. Maybe a SM Commander or something.