Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Any planet with an Adeptus Terra presence will have astropaths.

Despite despising them, the Imperium can't function without psykers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

As a generalization, the Imperium and its citizens hate psykers.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

They need to steal from Starcraft some more and just have an alpha+ psyker become the Queen of Blades.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I didn't particularly enjoy it for a few reasons. There was a bunch of psyker wizard magicks which is jarring compared to something like Ravenor's psyker stuff. There were explicit quotes from stuff like Laozi and Plato and stuff which definitely shouldn't exist in the 30th millenium. And also it was really awkwardly written as you mentioned.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The Tau resist Chaos mutation because they are the Emperor's favoured race and the true inheritors of the galaxy.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Games Workshop hates money?

I'll provide a rebuttal right after I finish painting my $40 plastic toy that I had to assemble myself.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

jadebullet posted:

Well, I have decided to do something that is incredibly lame, and probably very stupid, but I am going to do it anyway. I have decided to try my hand at writing Space Barbie fanfiction. I am mainly doing it to get myself back into the swing of writing normal fiction since I am a bit rusty, and I figure it will be fun.

Anyway, I want your guys opinion on things that I should avoid doing that seems to be done a lot in BL books. Overuse of adverbs and other grammar issues is obvious, of course. Things like, "reading about combat is boring as hell when the author spends six pages describing every single action of a single marine fighting orks." is what I am looking for.

Pretty much what I am asking for is for you to post every annoying thing that you can think of that authors do in BL books so that I can avoid doing that.

Read Henry Zou's stuff and then don't do that. Make sure all your badass heroes are badass. Have them all die at the end to make it suitably grimdark and to avoid Mary Sue nonsense.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

I've been waiting for the omnibus of Night Lords for what feels like forever now. Come on, Black Library! :(

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The SoB books are fine. Swallow does an acceptable job of writing the Sisters but it isn't spectacular like ADB's Black Templars or whatever.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

WOW, that's a really lovely sentence for prose.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Reynolds's Word Bearers trilogy wasn't too bad.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

They reimplant old geneseed or steal new geneseed. Also, Space Marines have fallen to Chaos after the Heresy.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

The Emperor was some all-powerful superman who watched humans grow as an infant species and got fed up with our poo poo and decided to lead humanity to glory. He doesn't really understand humanity though which leads a bunch of wacky misunderstandings that end up ruining everything for humanity.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

You might be interested in ADB's The Emperor's Gift.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

GamesWorkshop is pretty retarded.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Chaos space marines specifically range in power from "basically already dead dudes inside power armour" to "literally unkillable" that's dependent on how favoured by various Chaos gods and demonlings they are.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Salamanders all have dark skin because they live in a volcanic hellhole. There were those human centaur dudes in Horus Rising. There are definitely short, stout Imperial Guard chapters because their recruiting worlds are all high-G. It's pretty clear that that humanity adapts to the planet it's on (but maybe it's just due to Magos Biologis tampering!)

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Cream_Filling posted:

It seems like the Grey Knights really know very little about what's going on in the galaxy beyond how to fight daemons, and in general they just do what they're told because they dont' know any better.

More like they don't really give a poo poo. A lot of Space Marines don't care about Imperial politics; they just land on some planet, kill the bad guys, and get out. They don't really desire stability in the galaxy or a spot at the political table; they're just killing tools.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

pentyne posted:

From what I can tell they're going to release the Night Lords omnibus any day now, so I've been holding off on buying the individual books.

I've been waiting on this alleged Night Lords omnibus for over a year now so...

edit: I looked it up and Amazon says it drops on 22 May 2014, just over half a year worth of days from now. Also, wow, that cover is bad.

got some chores tonight fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 22, 2013

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Holy moley, Pariah is good. It's really sweet how Abnett uses our assumptions to toy with us obviously, this can't be the Alizebeth Bequin from the original books, but it's easy to accept it until the book throws us for a loop. and creates a far more interesting story than the standard Imperium vs Chaos with Ravenor (with the Imperium's support?) vs Eisenhorn + (possibly loyalist?) Alpha Legion vs Word Bearers + corrupted Ecclesiarchy vs Emperor's Children + Glaw with Cognitae lurking in the mix and Beta and Lightburn not really a part of any group.

Random cool stuff: +Patience, patience, patience+ and the Alpha Legion hiding in plain sight textually.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

octupli octuplae octupla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

There's some mentions about how the arbitrators will only get involved in crimes that affect the tithe and I think one short story in the first collection has a probators working with an arbitrator, but they won't get involved for kidnappings, gangers, and district-level corruption that the stories largely cover.