Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

jadebullet posted:

I actually enjoyed the Soul Drinker books, at least the ones that I read. (2nd and 3rd) They weren't amazing, but I was entertained.

Did they ever use their titular soul drinking ability in any of those books? Or do they continue to act like generic Chaos Space Marines?

In the first book, as far as I recall, it was offhandedly mentioned at the very beginning (when Sarpedon consumed the soul of some mutant) and then completely forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Well yes, in theory there isn't anything that is stopping your from growing a marine for 10 years, killing him, then growing 2 for 10 years, killing them, etc, getting an exponential increase in geneseed and creating a massive number of space marines. A mere 200 years would give you a million marines, 300 years a billion, and 400 would give you a trillion.

Sounds like a perfect evil plan for a Black Library antagonist - probably a radical Inquisitor Lord or an Arch-Magos with an interest in bioengineering.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Just to be clear. He didn't 'put paedophilia into a book,' he made an oblique allusion to it for the sake of character background and an insight into the deeply imperfect culture of the 'Perfect City.' To counter the impression that the Emperor was laying waste to a wonderful city that Lorgar, who thought himself the innocent party, had created.
I concur. Cyrene’s tragic fate is consistent with the book’s themes, provides valuable insights into Word Bearer culture and is treated by both the author and the characters with sufficient tact and respect.

No such excuses can be made for Abnett’s Legion, which features Imperial loyalist cohorts of girls explicitly stated to be between 13 and 16 years of age, whose “technical inability to conceive made them grotesquely promiscuous... all thinking about the next soldier boy they’d hump”. Apart from providing pedo-titillation to readers and author and serving as the butt for slut-shaming jokes scattered throughout the book, their primary role in the plot is to let John Dramaticus Grammaticus (who is using a false identity and pretending to be a person they trust) telepathically spy on their “feeble immature minds” and “moist unwholesome mental architecture” and be “repelled by their lurid, shallow thoughts”. So according to Dan Abnett, if a creepy old manipulative predator spies on underage teens, it’s they who are the Real Perverts.