Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

EyeRChris posted:

It feels like if The EMP just let Angron have his last stand / honorable death and recorded it with Servo-skulls the War Hounds would have been the most loyal of the legions. Angron would have been a martyr of loyalty to friends and humanity and the hounds would have been the line of defense for humanity. They could have been the legion standing their ground against the encrouching Nids.

Instead he denied a man who was losing grip on himself and falling further and further into rage to control a legion of super human killers and infect them with his rage. The real mercy would have been to let him have his choosen death. He was damned by the nails with no hope of becoming himself again.

That, or just dropped to the planet with a bunch of custodians and astartes alongside him and RUINED the enemy. What better father and son bonding experience than swooping in, kicking a planet's rear end, having a beer and saying "good job son, here's your legion of sons who will fight to the death for you and your people. Oh, let me help you with those things in your skull"? If Angron had the same "back to back moment in a huge war" moment that Horus had with his father, who knows?

Then again, if the Big E was a good father none of this would have happened and we wouldn't have much of a story. Which is not to say I wouldn't love to read an alternative, happier timeline with the galaxy conquered and a bunch of wacky adventures with demigod brothers squabbling. Russ and Angron breaking into Robute's wine cellar and getting roaring drunk or Kurze putting chewing gum in the Lion's hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

VanSandman posted:

I liked all those books. :saddowns: They were hardly my favorites but what, really, was so bad about them?

Yeah, I don't get the hate for Graham McNeill. I find some of his work boring (Ultramarines), but I liked A Thousand Sons and thougt Fulgrim was refreshingly different. Admittedly "The Mirrod Crack'd" was goddam awful

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

One thing that annoys me is the ridiculous ways the author tries to play up the divinity of the Emperor and the Primarchs. It's hammy and obtrusive.

I can see how it can feel old after a while, but I actually find myself getting annoyed when Primarchs and the Emperor DON'T get written as almost mythical beings. Part of the lore for me is the fact that laying eyes on a primarch is a life changing experience. Grown men have wept in their presence, etc. I love the scenes in Nikea and Ulanor, where having so many primarchs around with the Emperor is a massive, galaxy shaking event.

There's that scene early in Horus Rising where Loken is advise to avoid looking into Horus' eyes when he meets him because he'll lose his concentration.

Fulgrim should be impossibly perfect, Horus should be regal and inspire loyalty, Kurze should reduce you to a quivering wreck, Sanguinious should make you question your sexuality and so on.

Then you get a book like Descent of Angels where The Lion is a big sulking lummox and a fourteen yearold boy is able to walk and talk with him like he's his football hero and not a god made flesh.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Johnson is the gooniest primarch. Although it makes you wonder what kind of 4chan monstrosities the missing primarchs must have been.

"Oh throne, he's a furry! Sigh... Send in Russ"
"Is...is that wise?"

I HATED Descent of Angels and thought Fallen Angels was 'meh', but I re-read them both recently and Descent was a lot better second time round. Once you prepare yourself for a story that isn't like the rest of the heresy it actually works pretty well. I was still dissapointed in The Lion though, and when you know that a single astartes is a one man army it's hard to reconcile the character in the books as an equal brother of a guy who holds off an entire army at the Infinity Gate and breaks a bloodthirster's spine.

The introduction of Alpharius/Omega was cool as it goes towards explaining why Alpharius was the physically smallest of the primarchs. I loved Legion, but still raised an eyebrow where Alpharius (or Omegon) gets caught with a sword strike from a HUMAN Lucifer Black in a one on one fight. I know the Lucifer Blacks are some of the toughest warriors in the galaxy, but a single human shouldn't be able to blink before a primarch can rip him apart.

In fact, I always wondered how exactly Angron could possibly be a gladiator? In After De'shea he recalls people asking him to let himself get at least cut, but how is having a primarch gladiator any more entertaining than throwing a baby to a lion? Throwing an entire legion of armoured, sword wielding soldiers at him should end up looking like a bloodier, more dismembery version of the "Are you not entertained?!" scene from Gladiator.

Actually, I think I just answered my own question

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Just how goony do you think I am?

The gooniest

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Cream_Filling posted:

The cool thing with the Emperor is that no two people can even agree on what he looks like, and each person tends to see either what the emperor wants them to see or else what they themselves want to see in his face.

Similarly, it would be cool if what each person sees when they see a primarch is actually subtly different, and that their accounts often diverge because of the immensity of their presence. And also that they're not necessarily physical giants even larger than an astartes, but rather that everyone simply perceives them as being taller than anything else in the room because they're not entirely of this world.

In Deliverence Lost, doesn't Corax see him as a normal sized, plain looking man and the Emperor is surprised by this?

MariusLecter posted:

What always stuck with me is that scene in LEGION with John Grammaticus. He doesn't say what he physically saw but that the Emperor and him having a little 'immortal psychics' bro moment makes me think he has a better view of what is behind the psychic mask the Emperor puts up. "Bloodthirsty" was the impression he came away with, wasn't it?

This is also mentioned at in the Last Church. The priest initially thinks the Emperor is the face of god that he saw as a young man in the unification wars, but when the church is burning and he takes a second look he sees the bloodthirsty, naked ambition and focus it takes to conquer a galaxy

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Neurosis posted:

I can see the Emperor being a pretty average sized guy who uses psyker abilities to appear as a 14 foot walking death machine and to emulate the abilities of a physical god of that stature. I would suggest that the primarchs are actually 12 feet tall, being engineered demigods.

And for those saying we don't know much about the Emperor, ADB's 'The Master of Mankind' should hopefully clear some of this up!

If I remember right, in A Thousand Sons the battle between Russ and Magnus has them growing to all kinds of crazy sizs and perspectives. Partially because they're literally fighting in a warp maelstrom, but the clash of psychic energy from the conflict plays havoc with perception and they're literally titans fighting

Which is hillarious to think that they could actually be a couple of 5'5 little guys having a slap fight

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
The Lion is referred to as 3m tall out of his armour in Descent of Angels when the astartes come.

Then you have Mortarion swinging a sythe the size of a space marine, Dorn holding a gladius which is the size of a man, Ferrus/Perturabo swinging a hammer the size of a tank and other insane scales. If a marine is 9 feet tall in his armour a Primarch is going to be a walking tank.

Although the primarchs are always shifting in size. They're always described as "seeming to fill the room with their presence". In Outcast Dead Dorn is causing problems by being in the psyker chamber because his presence is a glowing beacon that interferes with their abilities.

And of course, in the First Heretic a blind woman can see Lorgar

Makes you wonder how exactly terminator marines operate in cramped space hulks.

It's enough to drive a sperg lord crazy...

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

EyeRChris posted:

Not to mention the torture/foreplay of Fulgrum where Fabulous Bile and the other children were fascinated by this chance to see what makes a Primarch and how much they can endure. And then came the butt plugs...

The part that amazes me is that it's the same author. I could understand if some hack had taken the story and gone in a :wtc: direction, but this was the same guy who wrote Fulgrim. He wrote a good long, deep (for BL) back story with a tragic fall and a dark ending. It may not win any awards, but it fleshed out Fulgrim nicely.

At what point did Graham Neil wake up and think "hmm, I don't like how I left Fulgrim stuck in a painting while a demon wears his body , I'll have to retcon that. What's the best way to do this? I know... BUTT PLUGS!!!"

I will happily sit next to my wife reading my books about pew pew spacemen without feeling the slightest bit ashamed (she asks me when my next "Catholics in Space" book is coming). But reading that made me feel like I was standing on the precipice of Hentai or something. She asked if my book was good. I had to keep a straight face as I said "it's...not the best".

I worry that one day she'll pick up one of the collection at random to see what I'm reading and it will be that one...

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 14, 2013

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Azran posted:

Man, I know I shouldn't, but I'm tempted to read it only because I can't wrap my head around a Space Marine buttplug.

Also, how did you guys find Angels of Darkness?

drat you for making me dig it out, but

Graham McNeil, possibly while on cocaine posted:

Fulgrim kicked Marius away and tore loose the opened device the Third Captain had worked upon with a sigh of regret. It fell to the floor of the apothecarion with a wet clatter, and rolled like a viscous flower of red stained iron.

'A pity', said Fulgrim. 'I was beginning to enjoy that.'

This was not taken from some fan fiction from some dark corner of the internet. This is in an actual book. On my shelf. Someone paid an established author with actual money for this.

And I just transcribed it for the internet...

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm pretty sure that in Deliverance Lost, Corax can't really fit into the gene seed laboratory that the regular astartes can. So it is a thing.

Also, the implication is that the Emperor could fit into the laboratory. This is in the same book wherein when Corax meets the Emperor he briefly sees the Emperor as a normal-sized guy.

There's also the custom built quarters in the palace for each the Primarchs where everything is oversize and designed for them. Corax has a serene, dimly lit suite to make him feel at home. Makes you wonder what Angron's quarters would be like. Word is you should also be careful opening Mortarion's door

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 15, 2013

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Nephilm posted:

poo poo PAINTING

Ok, I'll give you that. But an artist going batshit and painting with the blood of people she murders isn't too much of a stretch in a dark Slaanesh story. And it's described without detail, just enough so you know that she's up to her elbows in the 40k version of some Tracy Emin poo poo.

Reflection Crack'd is literally Fulgrim being willingly rear end raped by his sons, with details of his magnificent body and insertion, and through all of this he's taking to them (with the occasional soft sigh)

Fulgrim got gradually crazier until the orgy opera rapey murder party felt like a natural progression. Mirror Crack'd is like McNeil woke up with a hangover, realised he had a deadline and copied and pasted a story from some fan-slash-fiction site.

DirtyRobot posted:

I'm pretty sure that in Deliverance Lost, Corax can't really fit into the gene seed laboratory that the regular astartes can. So it is a thing.

Also, the implication is that the Emperor could fit into the laboratory. This is in the same book wherein when Corax meets the Emperor he briefly sees the Emperor as a normal-sized guy.

Is the star child/sensai still a thing? Because if the Emperor was supposed to have had human children and he's a 12 foot war machine, it's going to raise a few questions.

You know what? Let's not go there. That way lies the path of Slaanesh, tentacles and primarch rear end dildos...

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

Are they talking about this thing?

I've always imagined the Emperor's Children as the Cenobites from Hellraiser.

That was the impression, yes. Although I imagine it would be some Mars crafted dark age of tech version of it with a machine spirit you REALLY want to appease before use. Probably based on the STC design for a drop pod.

And they're definetly inspired by the Cenobites, with the chattering teeth, taught skin and mutilated features. Although I think Pinhead should wear garish pink and rock a guitar shaped cannon in the next goddawful sequel.

I only recently came back to SA after a long hiatus and I'm a little concerned that the bulk of my posts have been about a pulp book describing the anal rape of a demigod

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Mikojan posted:

Also the one where 2 assassins of different temples are siblings and behave like prepubescent children all the way through.

the only thing I remember about that book is an Erversor assasin been given a gun to play with to keep him quiet. Like a baby being given a pacifier.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Pyrolocutus posted:

E: The mass market paperback of Angel Exterminatus is supposed to be out soon, and I liked it too. It gives some character development to Perturabo and covers both the Iron Warriors and the Emperor's Children legion.

I was so pissed off when I inadvertedly brought the oversized version of Angel Exterminatus. It's why I have't brought Betrayer yet. Is Betrayer available in the standrd format yet?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Nephilm posted:

There's no consensus on what the Primarchs looked like because the Imperium is a gently caress huge place and they haven't been around for 10000 years, and even when they were around, they weren't usually keen on being immortalized in sculpture and such, given that such idolatry was against the imperial creed. And when it was done, details obviously changed based upon the perceptions of the artist in question.

It's been a while since I read it, but when Horus is shown the glimpse of the dark future he sees the statues of the Emperor, Sanguinius, Dorn, etc and notices how the proportions are ludicrously oversized and heroic.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I remember that, I think it was in Betrayer in a conversation with Argel Tal.

I think it might be First Heretic. I haven't read Betrayer, but I remember the line from somewhere.

(waiting for a normal sized paperback release before I get Betrayer. Fooled me once with Angel Exterminatus)

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

UberJumper posted:

That makes sense, i just don't see how hiding deep in an underground cavern saves them. Nor how the dreadnaught is all completely fine. I am just guessing Loken has Plot Armour.

I haven't read it for a long time, but didn't the virus eat away at the seals and joints of the armour? And I recall the dreadnaught dying too because he refused to get into the caves. I seem to remember some dying marine saying thathe'd ordered the dreadnaught ito the caves but he'd stayed, and then he realised that his chasis had taken damage and the virus was getting in.
Wasn't it some kind of sealed vault, too? And they only had to stay safe long enough for the second phase of the attack which was the orbital laser igniting all the virus decomposition gasses and burning the planet clean.

Oh sod it, I'm not going to try and defend those books. They should have let Abnett write them all.

I'd re-read it, but I know it would get worse on a second read through. I do remember it being jolting to read Horus suddenly talking with a completely different 'voice' though. Mentioning that Kurze was a moody bastard but useful if you needed a battalion making GBS threads in their britches before a battle, etc.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Cream_Filling posted:

Nah, I'd say Tzeench is the one that's all about hope. Nurgle is hopelessness and acceptance. You've given up on life ever being any better and have made peace with the now. A person can get used to anything. You know you're going to die eventually, so why worry about it? Stop fighting and learn to love Papa Nurgle.

The chaos powers took to patroning the chapters that had traits that reflected them. So Khorne was attracted to the honorable but berserk World Eaters (although would have preferred the Blood Angels), Tzeench went for the curious dabbling hubris ridden Thousand Sons, Slaanesh for the oh-so-pretty-and-vain Emperor's Children.

The fact that Nurgle chose to be the patron of the Death Guard shows that dogged, unstoppable determination and grim acceptance of hardship are aspects of Nurgle. I suppose the Iron Warriors could have also been an option, but the Death Guard literally had a culture of poison and resistance.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

EyeRChris posted:

I agree with this. Its definately not the worst. Its just compared to the other novels, it has the least impact on the overall storyline. They build up Garro as the man who is loyal to the empire to the point that he tells Horus and his entire legion to go gently caress themselves and then regulate him to audiobook status and is never heard from again. I kinda liked the book but am disappointed that I grew to like Garro just to find out I'll never read another book about him unless they do novel versions of their audiobooks.

I'm in the same boat.

I won't do audio books or ebooks (and now I'm refusing to buy those ridiculous oversized paperbacks), so I'm missing a lot of the series. I have no idea what happened to Loken, Garro and I'm missing a chunk of Angron's story.

Eisenstein was decent enough. Some glimpses into Mortarion, a bit of Nurgle, some primarch stuff and an important scene as Dorn accepts that Horus has turned

It's not ADB, but it isn't Battle for the Abyss either.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

UberJumper posted:

Is there actually any indication that Horus is still actually Horus and not a Daemon after Davin? Or we could just blame Graham McNeill :argh:

Well even if he was a daemon in Horus' body, McNeill would retcon it with... lets not go down that derail again

Mechafunkzilla posted:

False Gods should just be replaced with a single page that says in size 72 font "SOME STUFF HAPPENED, HORUS IS BAD NOW OKAY?" It would be an improvement.

"...to be expanded on later by ADB"

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

VanSandman posted:

Should have been Betrayer.

What, no love for Battle for the Abyss?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
It's a shame, because I had actually brought every one of the paperbacks up to Angel Exterminatus (even the bad ones, I'm typically obsessive) - but I've stopped because of the new larger formats and splitting the series into retarded audio books, ebooks, etc.

Now I'm leaving the series because I feel like I'm being pushed out by GW's marketing and insistance on doing things this way. I have a shelf full of half a series that ends with a giant, glossy book that I wouldn't have brought had I realised it was a 'special release'.

Just give me the books in nice, uniform paperbacks and I'll buy the lot. All of them. Even the lovely ones. I own 'The Primarchs' for gently caress's sake. Why won't you take my money? Why can't I waste my disposable income on pew pew space man stories?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Pft! Everyone knows that a facebook petition is the only way to get this done. Remember when we stopped child abuse?

Seriously though, GW have always been retarded when it comes to their customers. But like George Lucas, they know that enough people will keep going along to get their grimdark fix.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Azran posted:

I don't really remember much from Battle of the Abyss. Which were the most stupid bits?

It's one of those books that when you mention some bits from it you'd think it would be awesome (if you're 14). But it's just bad. Really bad.

A Space Wolf (called "Bring a Storm" or something) getting drunk and starting a bar fight with Ultramarines (who drops into the codex approved Guilliman fighting stance). A gigantic, planelt smashing ship (massive even by WH40k standard). Captain Genericus McUltramarine with his amazing dialog ("It [sic] cannot believe that the very ship carrying five companies of my battle-brothers and en-route to Calth was destroyed before reaching Vangelis in a random act of Xenos contrition"). Word Bearers dropping like Imperial Storm Troopers in fire fights with our band of plucky heroes. Space Wolf Growly McAlebeard taking out the ship by jumping into the reactor with a melta bomb and an axe (or something else retarded).

Sounds great. Until you read it. Take out the loyalist marines from the traitor legions and you have a story that would be instantly forgettable in 40k.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Nemesis was dumb in that it was shoehorned into the HH series in order to get more sales. If you can take it out of that series, it's an ok read, though nothing special.

And yet I brought it. Just as I will buy any standard sized paperback with "Horus Heresy" on it.

Are you listening, GW?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Don't forget that the Space Wolf actually drinks ale from his beard. Oh, and the Giant book on the giant ship that is actually a giant pop-up giant gun book that opens to fire the giant metaphorical Word of Lorgar. Giant.

I couldn't remember the exact "xenos contrition" quote, so I copied and pasted it from the first hit on google for "battle abyss xenos contrition". Which was a pastebin entry for Rapey Joe Stalin.

I'm not sure what my point is other than you are clearly better qualified than me to point out the flaws in that godawful book. And despite this compete waste of a post, it is still more meaningful than "Battle for the Abyss".

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

JerryLee posted:

This is reported as having been done with Kor Phaeron, some of the Order of Caliban such as Luther, and presumably if it was done to them it was done with some number of others as well.

The older members of the Caliban Knights were augmented as far as humans can be, but were not given the full astartes treatment because of their age. This is pointed out when someone asks why some of the warriors are much smaller. Kor Phaeron is also not a true astartes, but rather a ridiculously augmented human strapped into massive terminator armour making him a match for a regular marine (and is looked on as a half-breed abomination by a lot of the legion).

Of course, when it comes to fan-fourites like the wolves you get the 13th great company who were so bad rear end they survived implantation because WOLVES ARE AWESOME! And even the kids drink beer and fight everyone and get bitches because WOLVES ARE AWESOME!

I suppose you can understand that a child raised in the harsh world of Caliban, the icy hell of Fenris or a brutal underhive would be the equivilent of a 21st century special forces soldier, but it's something that never quite feels right. As much as initiates in 40k would be killing machines by our standards, it still feels wrong when you read the Dark Angels novels and a 14 yearold is talking to a primarch and isn't soiling himself/lost in rapture/speachless/etc.

I do like how the pre-heresy legions all adopted customs from their homeworlds to weed out applicants and they shunned the older terrans despite being gene brothers. Guys like Garro and Iacton never quite get the same welcome. Apart from the Lion, who can't wait to ditch that Caliban poo poo as soon as he gets the chance.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Baron Bifford posted:

This makes more sense. It's hard to cover up Chaos Space Marines when they keep attacking the Imperium.

The Imperium is huge. Galaxy sized, mind boggilingly, 'curl up and die at the thought of your insignificance' huge. There is a lot of scope between worlds. It's quite possible that some world near the eye of terror is better informed on chaos than a comfortable, tithe paying rich world at the other end of the galaxy (who are one toga party away from Slaanesh). Then you have some dank, industrial forge world where the people literally know nothing but birth, work, attend Emperor church and horrible, early choking death.

Look at how North Korea know nothing of the outside world and worship a loon with a bad haircut compared to the freedoms of the first world. Even the US itself has massive divides in attitudes between it's states.

Now spread that across a pants-shittingly vast empire, throw in a catastrophic galaxy wide disaster in the Age of Strife, a motherfucking intergalactic scale Terminator style rise of the machines war (a mere footnote in 40k terms), an all conquering crusade led by demigods on a scale unheard of in the known universe, a civil war across literally a million worlds and the rise of the most messed up, oppressive regime in the history of the species running on pure inertia of a war kicked off 10,000 years ago.

You can forgive the authors if procedures are different at one end of the galaxy to the other. Especially given the autonomy and total power of inquisitors operating alone and unmonitored. Even in Eisenhorn there are differences. Gregor likes to get down on the planet and sneak about, winning hearts and minds, only bringing the hammer when he needs to. The other older guy likes to arrive with the full Imperial floaty skull flying baby theatrics and his finger hovering over 'EXTERMINATUS' on his speed dial.

Some Inquisitor might exterminate a whole planet in some outer rim world because someone drew an eight pointed star, whereas nobidy is going to execute a bunch of Cadians becuse they know about chaos. It shows how versatile the setting is when some of the worst authors to put pen to paper can't really screw it up to the point of breaking it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Although the Lion thinks he should be the favourite and always makes a point of being "the first". And of course, poor old Alpharius was not only the last to be created, but also the last to be found.

"Yay! We've found the last primarch!! Oh... he's a little bald dude"

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

TheStampede posted:

Eh, that may be putting words or intent into his mouth. I don't think he loves being the guy who has to put his brothers in line. He just accepts his place in life.

I can't remember which book, but I'm sure there's an exchange between a couple of primarchs where they say that Russ was against sanctioning Magnus at Nikea, which apparently came as a surprise. It was part of the hint that Russ was used to wipe out the missing primarchs and he didn't like going down that road.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Yes, but supposedly there was some downtime in the throne room when the Emperor was disconnecting himself and the Sigilite was reconnecting (and again, when the Emperor returned to the throne room after fighting Horus). Who knows how much time passed when no one was "plugging the dam" but evidently nothing bad came of that absence!

From Lexicanum, so not gospel, but

Lexicanum posted:

"Though he was a powerful psyker in his own right, Malcador's mental powers were nothing compared to that of the Emperor, and so when Rogal Dorn brought the severely injured ruler of mankind back to the Golden Throne, he found Malcador sitting wasted, energy lashing across his shrivelled body, tortured by the psychic bombardments of the Webway. He was almost dead. Tech-priests then made the exchange - disengaging Malcador from the machine. As he was removed, the last flicker of life left him and the dust of his corpse blew across the stone floor.[1]

At the instant of Malcador's death, the Emperor awoke from his coma - Malcador had saved a last kernel of strength and passed it on to the Emperor so he could give his servants their final orders."

Which is not to say there wasn't a bunch of techpriests hovering over the cables with Dorn saying "Ready? On three. one.. two... THREE!!"

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 12, 2013

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

One Legged Cat posted:

I can't remember which book it was mentioned in, but the best explanation I've heard is that even though Sanguinius is known and loved for those big ol' wings of his, they're something of a mark upon him by the warp things that stole him from his dad and imbued him with a small touch of their power. More than once, major warp entities (possibly Khorne himself) told him his wings were a sign of their blessings. That, along with the secret of his legion's (and likely his own) problem with the whole blood madness thing, makes him feel inferior and flawed, despite how well-loved he is in the public eye. Sanguinius' deal is that of all his brothers, he feels that he has the most to prove.

Ironically, it's because he's trying so drat hard all the time that he is so successful and loved by the populace. He might have been just an average primarch otherwise. People see him as one of the brightest-shining stars among his brothers, but that's not because he's just blessed with awesomeness; it's because he has a major chip on his shoulder that's making him be all tryhard all the time.

He has his vanity, too. Wasn't there a part in Fear to Tread where he dreams about losing his wings and he's bitter about being "like the rest of them"? His wings are what set him above the others. He's literally the Angel, soaring above them all.

In fact, he seems to have a lot of the traits and flaws of the other primarchs, which kind of fits as he's often seen as a 'mini-emperor'.

He has the black rages that are the equal of Angron's beserk rampages. He has the beauty (and vanity?) that Fulgrim has. He's an inspirational leader (so much so that Horus thinks Sanguinius should have been war master). He's an utter badass in combat, one of the top tier guys that NOBODY wants to gently caress with like Russ and the Lion. The fact that Robute calls him the Angel of Death and the marines have wagers on him being the one to kill Horus tells you something. He has visions and a sense of his own end like Cruze. His legion's seed is flawed like Magnus, making him willing to push further to find an answer. He has a supernaturally inspirational ability like Lorgar.

He was also possibly the most important piece on the board during the heresy. If Sanguinius had turned, Horus would have won. Fear to Tread made out that Horus was actually wary of Sanguinius turning because the powers may have favoured him. The fact that he was the closest to Horus of all the brothers adds another layer of tragedy on top of the grim dark.

Yet despite all these things that make him one of the biggest bad asses in 30k-40k, I can't shake the "angsty vampire" vibe bullshit...

As a side note, I love how so many of the "good" primarchs are mutated in some way that would get the inquisition on them in 40k. Ferrus' Silver eyes and hands, Sangy's wings, Russ' furrie tendancies, Vulkan's red eyes, Corax's black, raven eyes, etc.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I think Perturabo's story is honestly the 'saddest' of all the Primarchs'. He honestly doesn't seem like someone who has drawn over to Chaos so much as he was pushed away from the Imperium. It's like, you take a capable commander and you send him to Space Vietnam over and over and over and over and despite the fact he wins them for you, everyone is so caught up on everything else like Russ killing a warboss or something and Perturabo is left with nothing but piles of dead soldiers and an order to garrison a planet that Horus' conquered and is probably getting a banquet feast about.

Perturabo realized what he was good at, he was very intelligent, and he knew that what he did was vital, but just because something is vital doesn't mean it wasn't worthy of praise. I really think the entire Heresy would have gone differently if the other Primarchs would just pass him in the space hallways and pull him aside and say 'great work on Castle-Planet Deathdoom, I know my legion couldn't have done it. Let's go get a space beer' or something.

Every other Primarch was vain and so caught up with what they were doing that they would fistfight over stupid poo poo and all Perturabo wanted was an occasional 'good job' but even that was too much. Then some stupid loving space painter made a picture of the Imperial Fists marching to victory literally over piles of dead Iron Warriors and he was like whatever. So then the Heresy happened and he got hosed over some more, so he plotted a final 'gently caress you' to Rogal Dorn and decided to flee to wherever he could find safety, which happened to be the Eye of Terror.

Seconding this so hard.

The one scene in Angel Exterminatus that REALLY made Perturabo stand out as a tragic character to me was when Fulgrim did some weird voodoo poo poo to look into his desires and you saw him as a man of peace, living in a beautiful city that he had created with a population who loved him and the world he had made for them. The fact that we see this glimpse of what he could build if he wasn't constantly thrown in the trenches and slogging in ugly, unrewarded wars was heart breaking. It was hinted at when he built the amazing theater for Fulgrim and he was bitter that something else he had made had become a place of bloodshed, but that dream sequence just hammered the point home that he just wanted to create beautiful things and share them people.

Graham McNeil has written some absolute trash, but I thought he nailed that scene (even though I can't remember what the gently caress brought that whole dream thing up in the first place)

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Nephilm posted:

Russ wasn't a furry. Space Wolves develop wolf-like traits from their geneseed's reaction to the Canis Helix, but Russ was as free of mutation as a primarch can be.

I though Russ had the 'wolf like' appearance, the teeth, jaw, etc.

Or is that something he puts on to maintain his image? I seem to recall Magnus commenting on Russ wearing a savage's face

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

AcidRonin posted:

hey wich story was the one where i think it was Angron was fighting his own son's telling them how good they did by actually getting a hit on him? i was going to read it based on the thread but it went and got buried.

Not read it, but was it "Lord of the Red Sands"?

Again, if Black Library would just release all these short stories and audio dramas into a series of books I'd buy them. As it is, I've missed half of Angron's story, know nothing about Loken, etc.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Does the Poe inspired Eversor poem count as an Eversor story?

quote:

The Raven

-By Pat Marstall with help from some dead UVA grad (the only good kind).

Once upon a battlefield dreary, where I cowered, spent and bleary,
Within an Imperial bunker, darkly stained with dust and gore -
As I cowered, nearly shuttering, suddenly there came a sputtering
As some weapon quickly stuttering - firing at my bunker door.
"`Tis some bolter", I murmmered, "firing at my bunker door -
Only this and nothing more."

Ah, distinctly I remember, it was in the bleak December,
And the brightly burning bastions lit the horizion by the score.
Eagerly, on freedom drunker; - vainly had I sought to hunker
In this heavy Imperial bunker - with perhaps a tunnel in the floor -
A safe and empty fortress with perhaps a tiny tunnel in the floor -
Only this and nothing more.

And the mad raving howling of each distant Space Wolf prowling
Thrilled me - filled me with fantastic terrors never felt before.
So that now, to the beating of my heart, I stood entreating
"`Tis some Space Wolf there repeating, firing at my bunker door -
Some common Grey Hunter rapid-firing at my bunker door -
This it is and nothing more."

Presently my soul grew stronger; hesitating then no longer
"Marine," said I, "or Scout, your attention I implore;
The bunker walls are thick - they are made of tempered brick
And your bolters do not nick the slightest scratch or tiny score -
Not a dimple, dent, depression, dip, scratch or tiny score -
Away now, and fire no more."

Then in the bunker slumping, presently I heard a thumping
A pounding - rattling many times fiercer than before.
And soon I began to screech - the bunker wall grenades did breach;
The very gods I did beseech as the ceiling fell upon the floor -
Through the wounds poured light which danced upon the floor -
Danced amidst the sounds of war.

Then at once it stopped the violence - I was left alone with silence
Confused, I spied the reason why the shells did drop no more -
For as I began to shutter, then with many a flit and flutter
a psyber-Raven flew through the clutter to perch above the door -
Perched on the two-headed eagle just above the bunker door -
Perched and sat and nothing more.

At this I grew more craven, for the talons of the psyber-Raven
Were all over covered with bright red blood and crimson gore.
"Wretch!" I cried, "Njal hath lent thee - into this fortress has he sent thee
So that remotely may he here be - and this bunker then explore -
Scry out my exact location and this bunker then explore -"
Quoth the Raven, "Eversor"

Then, methought, the air grew darker, the bunker now a little starker
For the uttered word brought terror as I had never felt before.
As for weapons, I knew I had none - no bolter, sword or lasgun;
No arms to stop the war's son fated to break soon through the door -
The blood-mad crazed assassin fated to break soon through the door-

"Be that word our sign of parting, machine or bird!" I shrieked, upstarting -
"Get thee back into the fire-fight and here spy on me no more!
For as you came unbidden - I would otherwise be here hidden -
Leave my location in this midden - quit that icon above my door!
Take thy shining metal eye, and take thy form from off my door!"

And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting - still is sitting
On the pallid two-headed eagle just above the bunker door;
His metal eye has all the seeming of a psyker that is scheming,
To have my guts lie steaming in a pile upon the floor;
And now all hope has left me, crouched here upon the floor
I await the Eversor!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

CreepyGuy9000 posted:

I completely disagree. Its almost fact now (although they wont admit it) that the British knew there was oil in the vicinity of the islands, making the “tiny little dot of a island” akin to Great Forge World. However this was a Forge world on the fringes of a dwindling empire and the evil xenos tyrant (who was known for putting his own citizens in concentration camps) did not even think the Imperium of man would respond with military action, and thought the war would be good for the moral of his people. The Imperium of man did respond however, and with bolter and chainsword they purged the greasy xenos from the island.

The thought of "Warmaster Thatcher" is so very British comic book.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Cream_Filling posted:

I believe you mean "Warboss Mag Uruk Thraka".

How. The gently caress. Did I not pick up on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Fideles posted:

So who else has been immortalised in GW character names?

Sly Marbo wasn't exactly a subtle homage to Rambo.