Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Stumbled on some of the lore from E&TD2 yesterday, decided it was wild enough that I had to catch up, read both parts 1 and 2 today in like 7-8 hours. Pretty fun! Absolutely wild! I realise I'm late on the boat here but I'd love to hear people's theories and speculations about it and how part 3 will go down (with the very obvious beats known, obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually got keen enough last night that I read The Infinite and the Divine, and I have a couple of questions.

1) What exactly is the nature of a C'Tan and a C'Tan Shard?
2) Both main characters remember the other having dragged them in chains for bioconversion. Is this a wider "thing" or is it just that one or both of them are too memory fried to remember? I thought perhaps that everyone remembers that they personally had to be dragged in chains, but actually in the end everyone walked willingly to their doom- but this makes less sense for Orikan in particular.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Honestly not worth spoilering as this is fundamental Necron lore. The C'Tan were "Star Gods", horrible beings of pure energy that fed on stars. The Necrontyr discovered them, and placed one into a Necrodermis shell, whereapon it realised that eating fear (and souls) was even tastier than eating stars, and the Necrons were like "gently caress, please stop killing us, we'll worship you and also there are plenty of other species to eat, including those loving Old Ones that we hate (because they didn't give us the cure for Space Cancer)". The C'Tan also hated the Old Ones, so they were like "deal, also we can give you sweet new bodies that don't have Space Cancer and make you better at fighting those fuckin Old Ones".

Obviously this didn't go great for the Necrontyr, and what came out of the forges were the Necrons, soulless robots encoded with the memory and personality engrams of their originals. Szarekh in particular was super pissed about this, and once the War In Heaven was won, lead the Necrons in a betrayal of the C'Tan while they were still weak. They couldn't destroy them, but they could shatter them into a million pieces, then seal those in vaults to use as batteries/weapons. SPOILERS: they might have also somehow eaten one which lead to Problems.

Some did, some didn't. There was even a short rebellion fought against the idea that was ultimately crushed. In the Twice Dead King books, it mentions the Red Marshals, who's job it was to round up shirkers and drag them into the furnaces, breaking their legs if needed.

Oh I spoilered it because it was a spoiler that they turn up at all in the book.

I know about C'Tan (though I know this is the latest version of the lore on them) but I'm somewhat unclear on, metaphysically, how they compare to something like a demon. They are decidedly *not* Chaotic and it seems like they might be energy beings specifically of the material world? But they do seem to have/understand souls so I don't know.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

At the end of the book when Orikan goes toe to toe with the Deceiver shard, transcending his necrodermis form to become an energy being, he immediately gets a mindset and outlook that is extremely C'Tan, almost seeming like he has become one. Afterwards he talks of "the other one", meaning I think the C'Tanic version of himself.

Do people think that's a capacity that, in theory, any Necron is capable of: to transcend physical form and become an energy being and thus a C'Tan in their own right?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah the Deceiver is very nearly called "Metatron" as well which is a classic sort of angelic name with mildly evil vibes. And "Nightbringer" is very close to "Lightbringer".

That said, you could say that "kehtanic". Just seemed the natural way to form the word.

lines fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 19, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The Iron Hands suffer from the issue that I can't remember the difference between them and the Iron Warriors apart from what side they took in the Heresy.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Iron Warriors are about digging, building and tearing down fortresses with machines. Iron Hands are about rebuilding themselves with machines. Iron Warriors are mad that they had to do all the bullshit jobs. Iron Hands are mad that their dad died.

I feel like these are the wrong way round. Iron Hands seems much better for pissed off mole people who have to do scutwork.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

Only one has sick hazard stripes.

Right but which one.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Just grabbed End and the Death Vol 3 at the store. Didn't think it would be out yet but it was there so.

Holy poo poo! I feel like an idiot for getting the eBook preorder now.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I hope the last line is "And then the Emperor became the Warhammer 40,000".

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

"The Emperor sat upon the Golden Throne and chuckled a little wet-leopard growl."

"Oh, now I have truly become the end and the death volume 3".

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Warden posted:

Oh fuuuuuuck.

This just rubs salt into the wound of having to wait until next weekend.

Would you say that it feels like time itself has stopped?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Bohemian Nights posted:

I just hope Sangunius gets better =)

He's only mostly dead!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm about halfway through. Hoping to make it to at least 300 pages before today is over. Hardback is about 500 pages long.

Without any spoilers, how you finding it?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

It has a definite momentum to it and manages to keep the pace up despite flipping between so many ongoing story threads. Relentless would be the word.

Brilliant. Hope he lands the ending!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah, I really appreciated it even though I didn't read it in depth. You literally did nothing wrong.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I agree that Arc Hammer did nothing wrong, I also understand people wanting to dip out of the thread to ensure they don't get spoilered. And you don't necessarily have to click to see what the spoiler is, accidentally moving your mouse over it will do it. There's no baddies here.

Oh, this is a good point (I use the app for browsing the forums mainly so I didn't know it's mouseover).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

poop chute posted:

Iron Hands are the tech weirdos, Iron Warriors are siege perverts.

Unironically kind of disappointing, it was something I was really hoping would be a bigger beat ||and also because I thought the idea of Alpha Legion worshiping the chaos god of the emperor was very funny||

I have a feeling they might not entirely have dropped it... but I would expect it to come up again in 40k if it does.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Okay, it's back up for the people who want it. Pay no attention to the edit times, since time no longer exists.

I thought it had started again?! Make up your mind!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

He's so cute. Just wanna scritch his little Primarch head.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

Ok, some actual discussions:

Lol. Sounds like dude gets the closest anyone will ever get to a happy ending - he gets to repeat 30,000 years of pre-Imperium human life forever, and never have his soul end up in the Warp or have to meet an indubitably bad ending in 40k or later.

Someone is going to have to make a timeline for this guy and every appearance he has because I'm entirely losing track.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Finished it in about 150 minutes. A breezy read! A fun time too. How very jolly. Really enjoyed it, looking forward to the fan reaction (I already know one person who hates it)!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

You read a 500 page book in under three hours? I must be rusty.

It's one of my few talents - it's not quite speed reading and I don't always take every nuance in, but I just have a very fast reading pace - especially for this kind of pulpy well-written prose that bounces along.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Waroduce posted:

big rear end spoiler stuff

so is Loken Samus?

Also gently caress Erebus, seriously.

He's the only name you'll hear. He's the man beside you. He is the end and the death.

(I think he's the daemon born from the betrayal and murder of Loken and the loss of the possibility of redemption for Abaddon and the other traitors). In a sense he is the daemon of the very age, born by this final act of the Heresy.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

To be fair to Emps Horus did strike the first blow. Horus ain't owed poo poo after that and Emps wasn't in a good mood to talk.

Horus is so lost in delusion, it's very compelling. Like he actually just cannot see what is going on in truth, he doesn't think he's the bad guy here.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

I love the repetition of "This is how He—" during the duel as Horus continues to come up with rationalizations in his head for how he thinks things should go before immediately getting swatted down by another attempt by Emps.

I also really like how Emps fights so dirty the entire time. No honorable bouts or respect for your opponent. Just unbridled aggression and psychological cruelty if it means winning.

And I think he only does that because of what he cut out beforehand.

Horus really really has a view for How This Was Meant To Go and it's sad! Poor guy. Shame about all the killing.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress Erebus with a rake :tviv:

Yeah I'm a little miffed by this. Maybe it's a good thing that Bananamonium's developments will be a bit more slow rolled.

I like that he is always the reason we can't have nice things.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

you forgot Erebus

imo he's also instrumental with Magnus losing a very important rhetorical point with Horus

Does he do anything for the next 10k years?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

On the run for 10,000 years avoiding Kharn's axe?

Literally imagining Benny Hill music.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I really liked the second-person Horus portions, but it’s important to remember that in those moments he is completely delusional. All of his statements about what the Emperor is doing, or what he himself is doing, or why he’s doing any of it, are totally unreliable.

I think it's clear some of the more psychedelic stuff is really happening just from how the other characters act and respond, but yes I agree. I think he even maybe believes it in the moment! Or at least whatever is telling him that believes it! But yeah he is totally cuckoo for coco pops.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I appreciate this is a complicated question but I don't really know much about the Dark Angels. What's going on with this Cypher guy?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

I liked the nod to the Bequin books - the revealing of the real name of the archivist of the Hall of Leng and the bits about The City of Dust as the warp disentangles Vengeful Spirit, the Palace, and the Inevitable City. Makes me think the third Bequin book is going to properly push the 40K storyline forward, hopefully.

I really think pushing the 40k storyline forward would be good for the game and the setting. It doesn't need to be dramatic but - well, also, in a sense what else do they start driving books towards? Part of the success of the HH was that it was a narrative which promised actual development and conclusion, at a time two decades ago when I think the main setting was resolutely stuck in a holding pattern.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I was really talking about the modern era as well, I guess. I know things are moving forward but I don't have a sense for where they are going - if anyone has a good notion I would be interested.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I read the Bequin books yesterday, and, uh, wow they really escalate in terms of scale and scope, huh? Don't see how he can possibly stick the landing on that one but I'm looking forward to him trying!

lines
Aug 18, 2013

nesbit37 posted:

Its just the 2 of them out right now yes? I just finished Penitent yesterday as well, and wondering when this 3rd one is going to see the light of day and wrap things up.

Yep. I've bought the Eisenhorn and Ravenor omnibuses to tide me over in the meantime as it's been years since I read them, but it's going to be very interesting.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Looking forward to all the terrible content farm 40k lore videos trying to explain the Yu-Gi-Oh Duel in a way that sounds cool. (It is cool! Because of Abnett's prose!)

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

hell yeah, so it WAS an extended homosexual allegory all along

this was the best possible outcome

The Athames themselves probably could use their own character timeline trackers; like the Perpetuals, they sure proliferated during this entire two decade long narrative spree.

The weird thing is that the one that kills Horus isn't even one of the ones Erebus made.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Mikojan posted:

I liked the scene of big E becoming a big black orb in his transcendence to godhood amidst the city of dust so I attempted to make a few AI generated images of it. (TEATD 2)

I am not really an AI art fan in general but I have to admit these have come out quite nice.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

The afterword is an interesting read, especially as Abnett seems to say that he wrote it as one continuous book before then splitting it into three, which makes it harder to understand how it got so bloated vs if he wrote it as three separate books from the start.

In some ways for me it makes it easier, because at the end of 3 I think all the plot threads come together? So I can see why he felt he needed them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

euphronius posted:

Volume three

It seems like E was talking to the knife

been betrayed. You cannot ask Him for forgiveness. You don’t dare, and you can’t speak anyway. But He can see it in your eyes. You were too weak to resist them then, and you will be too weak in another moment when they relent and replenish you with their abominable gifts. Your eyes beg Him for mercy. A son to his father. End this. End it now, if you can. If that is even possible. End it before it is too late. If you can’t do it, no one can. The burning stops. The psychic beam abates. You sway, gasping. Your father has a knife. An old stone thing. What is it? It’s so small in His hand, so ugly. That won’t do it. That won’t be enough. He seems to hesitate, reluctant. You clench, in sudden spasm and convulsion, and cry out. The power is returning. It is flowing back into you with great rapidity, as though the Old Four are suddenly desperate to restore their gifts. What do they know? What have they seen that makes them act in such haste?

Your father looks at the knife.

+I wait for you and I forgive you.+

He drives it into your heart.

The knife is xeno tech and was destined - maybe - to he the knife that killed E . That was Ollie’s plan . Maybe E knew that it was meant for him and - in the future - he knows it’s his ultimate destiny. The I forgive you is to the knife for killing his son.

He never talks to Horus as E

Anyway just my imho

Thinking about it he could also be taking to Oll against whose destiny is to kill E with the knife

Maybe ?

I don’t think he’s talking to H

Edit

I just remembered that knife is gone ? Well there are other shards like it that skills exist

The knife isn't xenotech. It's not one of the athames that was made from the anathame. It's the one in the John French short story Athame - it began on Terra, it's a Terran sharp rock that's been used for significant murders over time.