Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, Astropath transmission rules are all over the place in the books.

It varies from a Freuds "Interpetation of Dreams" approach to sending an email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

jng2058 posted:

For instance, in Malleus Eisenhorn goes around with a personal Astropath who's sending detailed space telegrams, but in Desert Warriors they only get a transmission of danger and a call for help from the target planet without any details. It seems to vary, as with much else in 40K, based on the author and needs of the story.

I've always preferred the whole Astropath transmission is reasonably reliable take myself. Imperial governance seems messed up enough as it is without having to say every interstellar message requires the receiving Picard to figure out "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I just read the short story The Long Games at Carcharias last night. Astropathic signals are positively chatty in this one.

The astropath’s knuckles whitened around his staff as he recalled the message: ‘… encountered a convoy of heavy cruisers out of Fi’Rios – a lesser sept, the Xenobiologis assure me, attempting to contact Commander Farsight. We took a trailing vessel with little difficulty but at the loss of one Carcharian son: Crimson Consul Battle-Brother Theodoric of the First Squad: Fifth Company. I commend Brother Theodoric’s service to you and recommend his name be added to the Shrine of Hera in the Company Chapel as a posthumous recipient of the Iron Laurel…’

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You me and everybody would love a faithful 40K game, Chaos Gate meets Final Liberation with modern graphics. Trouble is that GW seems convinced that this would destroy their bottom line, which is selling real world models.

How true is that? Opinions differ, but as long as GW thinks it'd be bad it's not going to happen.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It is a genuinely interesting question.

It would certainly be immensly profitable in the short term. Pretty much anyone who plays the game would buy it. A lot of people who have left the hobby/been put of by the price would buy it. Add in general sales from DOW franchise fans, you'd sell a boatload.

Would everyone stop buying their plastic space mens however? A lot of people only buy to paint and/pr enjoy seeing their models on the table. Who knows it might even get more people into the physical game?

The interesting thing is that this experiment is taking place. Privateer Press had a big kickstarter for Warmachine Tactics and is basically doing Warmachine, the PC game. It'll be really interesting to see what effect it's release will have on sales of the physical game post-release.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shockeh posted:

And yeah, the Daemon Primarchs spend just as much time plotting against each other, supporting their infernal masters or generally just dicking about (Fulgrim) as they do conquering the Imperium. They have literal Infinite Fun Space to play with in the Warp; Why should they care any more about the fate of the lovely little Imperium they came from?

I like that, the actual material universe is like the elaborate model railway set up in the attic. An interesting hobby you can go have fun with on a wet Sunday afternoon.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I would also recommend the Ciaphis Cain books.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

No, not really. I found it extremely mediocre.

Edit: Damnit! Getting books confused.

I was thinking of Malodrax, which the above applies too.

Seventh Retribution is alright, gets a tad implausible (even by 40k standards) towards the end, but basically a decent read.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 22, 2014

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Owlkill posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for good Warhammer Fantasy novels? I know there's a section in the OP but that's just one person's opinion and I don't know when that was last updated.

A recent published one i enjoyed was Van Horstmann. Secret chaos wizard infiltrates college of light, hilarity ensues.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Warhammer/van-horstmann.html

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I also knew the basic outline of the story from the WFRP 2nd edition Realms of Sorcery background.

Didn't matter, still thought it was a fun story in execution even though i knew the outcome.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So i've been re-reading some of the early Horus Heresy books. Skipped over Nemesis for the obvious reason that it's not very good.

The thing that occurs to me and annoys me about that book, is it should have been great. Basicall it's the dirty dozen, only they're master assassins of different orders, gently caress yes!

The problem of course is they can't succeed in the Heresy. You know they're doomed to fail from the start, and seeing how they fail isn't that interesting.

They should have told that story in the modern 40K setting as a stand alone novel. Get some up coming Chaos Lord, one of Abbadons generals or something similar, who is going to do something crucial for the next black crusade, and they have to go after him.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So i had a long train journey today so having quite enjoyed the Damocles book i picked up the new apocalypse novel Valedor.

TLDR: I wouldn't bother unless you're seriously into the Eldar.

Extended non-spoiler comments:It just wasn't that interesting.

As i say above if you're a big Eldar fan you might find some of the stuff about life on a craftworld interesting, i didn't.
Also if you don't find stuff like the aspect warrior squads all having names like "Pretentious Chrysantheum Descending" not immensely irritating, as i did.

I'm not sure Tyranids work as an enemy in a full length novel either. I'm the first to say i've read some great short stories, even novellas with them as enemies, but they are so literally characterless i'm not sure they work at novel length. Some POV from both sides is always interesting, as they had in Damocles.

All in all i'd give it a D, maybe a B/C+ if you're a huge Eldar fan.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Speaking of stealth how the gently caress do silenced bolters work. Just now reading Vengeful spirit where one's used.

A bolter is basically firing rocket grenades. Propelled by a rocket with an explosive warhead, how the hell do you silence that?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Immanentized posted:

Was Henry Zou the guy who ripped off that veteran's memoirs, or am I misremembering?

I've never heard about this, what did he do?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

This website has another fun look at 'realistic' space marine designs and concepts.

http://www.philipsibbering.com/wh40k/10-01-marine-morphology.shtml

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sandweed posted:

The Emperor could have prevented the entire Heresy by telling some of his idiot sons about the webway project.

"Don't tell Magnus this Horus, but the reason I'm putting you in charge is that I'm going back to Terra to build a new Space Highway straight through the galaxy" *puts on yellow hardhat and telleports away*

Add to that, "Oh and i'm going to have to heavily shield the gate, so go easy on attempting any psychic contact".

Also, "Oh hey guys, the Warp is full of malovelent entities that will try and corrupt you. So watch out for that and don't trust their lies. You might want to mention this to your inner circle of Astartes as well".

That's the thing about the heresy. The whole thing falls apart if the Emperor simply keeps his sons reasonably informed.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually i know the whole idea of the 'imperial truth' is to starve them of worship and influence, which is fair enough. Still, on reflection you should probably brief ALL the space marines about Chaos. They're not that many of them compared to the mass of humanity and it would leave them much better prepared to face a galaxy full of psychic weirdness and corruption on the great crusade. You could even dress it up as lesser men must be lied too for their own good, but here is the 'noble truth' that only the Astartes, the emperors favourite sons can be trusted with.

In fact now i think of it don't one of the human cultures they come across in the early books do this? Everyone recognises the threat and gets fully briefed on Chaos, and how to deal with it.

Edit: I'm thinking of the Interex

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 20, 2014

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh god that Orc novella extract, that really is terrible.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

So just read a copy of "The Damnation of Pythos" I got from a friend.

Wow, as others have said, it is super-forgettable. Basically adds nothing to the overall storyline and is just not very good. Give it a miss unless you're a completionist/hardcore Iron Warrior fanboy.

Edit: I did in fact mean Iron Hands.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 10, 2014

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

Trying to remember who, but another author did a free short story (in his own, non40k universe) riffing on the same theme about post singularity transhumans. With the point that all the traits we see as ideal like super regeneration and turning off pain and being able to survive on a diet of arsenic and uranium dust will lead to people so bizarre from our worldview that they will come off as mentally different and psychopathic.

If you can remember the details I'd like to read that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

maev posted:

The fact that any 'original' Traitor marine is still fighting in the 41st millenium,

Amongst my own personal head canon for 40k, the Chaos marines are the Chaos gods favourite toys, which they like to play with Greek god style. So they bring the more interesting ones back to life, because the games more fun that way. So for example Talos and the rest of his Night Lords have been wiped out a dozen times or more. They just get brought back to life 500 years later on the other side of the Galaxy, with suitably edited memories.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Another piece of my personal head canon is that the progenoids regrow about every 10 years or so, allowing periodic harvesting over a marines career. In both the table-top and the fiction there's far to much unrecoverable gene-seed (not to mention the implants don't always take) to allow one marine only ever producing two progenoids to allow long term viablity in replacing losses.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

If we are talking video game shoot em up books, y'all need to read Crysis: Legion by Peter Watts. Way better than any franchise fiction tie in has any right to be and supremely creepy as well.

Huh, as i was reading through the thread i was thinking i should mention that. It's a suprisingly good book. The authors got a really nice deadpan laconic tone going and some suprisingly clever interpretation of some of the plot stuff.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jesus, the guy who actually writes the drat book only gets 5% on average?!?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dog_Meat posted:

Probably the same reason why the Primarchs all have so many titles, too. "The Gorgon", "The Red Angel" and "Raven Lord" sound better than "Metal Hands", "Angry" and "Crow Dude".

I think the Primarch of the XI was called Dave.

Dave? Oh, you mean "The Awesome McUberCoolest".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dog_Meat posted:

Sanctioned for being too Radical McBadical for the empire

"Nah Bro, that's why the Emperor can't handle me. I keep things too real for him"

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Who knows, Black Library has the worst loving website.

Indeed, what does every other publisher in existance know with their 'Publishing Schedule' and 'Telling people about forthcoming books'. Advance notice is Heresy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

It was awesome read it ASAP

Seconded, or in this case thirded. It's good and the sequel is better.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I liked Nemisis bc you got a look at the assasins, but it would have been better as not a heresy book. Also it was kinda dumb ya.

Yeah that could have been great, Oceans 11 in space, only they're all the Imperiums greatest Assassins working together to kill the toughest target in the Galaxy .

You'd think that would be hard to mess up. As you say making the target someone you knew the Author wouldn't be allowed to kill made the whole book pointless.

If they'd set in in the 40K timeline rather than the Heresy and made it, random example, 'The Dark Mechicus's most dangerous tech-sorceror has developed a meme that can take over loyalist Titans. Someone has to infiltrate his personal Forge World and take him out forever' or something like that, it could have been really good.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Yay or Nay on Pandorax? I remember a post about it but not positive or negative.

By c z dunn

I think that post was negative. I on the other hand really liked it. Nb. This was the audiobook version entertaining me while I was spending the weekend painting the house, so that probably factored into my enjoyment . But still I thought it was fun, the stakes keep escalating in a fashion I found entertaining.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Blood of Asaheim/Stormcaller by Chris Wraight, Ahriman: Exile/Sorcerer by John French. People also seemed to like the Mechanicus trilogy that Graham McNeill just finished, though I haven't read it. If you haven't read Helsreach and The Emperor's Gift by ADB, they're both great.

Didn't care for the French novels, seconding Wraights Space Wolves books. Haven't read the Mechanicus trilogy.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The rumour going arounds is that it's a lawsuit over the name Dark Hunter, which predates the earliest 40k reference with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark-Hunter

A fairly well established urban fantasy series that's been going since 2002.

Note, I neither vouch for nor can confirm the plausiblity of the rumour.

Would it be hilariously ironic Karma (with apologies to Mr Kearney as an innocent party) for this to happen to GW, yes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

In a move I did not expect, it looks like Samus from the Horus Heresy books is going to be joining the tabletop game. Bottom post in the link.

Sooooo, what you're saying is 'Samus is Here'.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

He actually was Spartacus.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I just wish they brought out a decent audiobook version of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books. I mean if you're going to rrelease "Battle for the Abyss" as an audiobook why can't we have those?

Comedy bonus question. They seem to be determined to release the whole Heresy in audio form. I wonder if they'll actually do Nemesis?

Edit: Actually as long as i'm asking for Ponies anyway. I'll have an audiobook of Titanicus as well, and my pony is also a Unicorn.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 24, 2015

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah Ravenor is totally worth reading.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Sandweed posted:

Everything the word bearers do in the heresy is some degree of stupid though.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I randomly (it was a friends copy) read the second Damocles book. I quite enjoyed it. The Rogue Trader subplot was pretty dull. Most of it however is Space Marines first contact with the Tau and battle culture shock when meeting AI Drones, stealth suits and of course Railguns! etc.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Libluini posted:

Nothing of that turns up anywhere in Google. Nothing on Wikipedia, too. Where did you get this stuff?

Here's the link

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/The_End_Times

Arquinsiel was talking about. Pretty comprehensive.

I'm also calling shenannigans on Thanquol being killed offscreen. In whatever incarnation of WFB Skaven that comes next, I bet he'll still be around as a character. It'll turn out T miraculously escaped again and some other clan rat took the fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

Ibgot my hands on Eye of Terror which ima read as soon as I finish Hammers Slammers. What are some other good older ham books? Ive read Ian Watsons space marine and the original space wolf series.

I also got Grunts which everyone in this thread should read, and bill the galactic hero im looking foward to

Do you like Fantasy?

GW released some great Anthologies as far back as 1989. Wolf Riders, Red Thirst and Ignorant Armies. Very high average quality of story and include the first appearances of Gotrex and Felix. Many of the authors are already established guys writing under pseudonyms. Jack Yeovil for example is actually Kim Newman. Steve Baxter is now the prolific Stephen. The stories come with extremely 80's warhammer art B&W illustrations as well.

Dead cheap, used on Amazon.