Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

True but the reason they'd say no (apart from shooting down authors who want to overthrow the canon or write things GW doesn't want spelled out, like what happened to the missing legions) is because they don't think it'd sell. If someone pitched the idea of writing a slice-of-life novel about some mid-level Administratum functionary going about her boring job, dealing with ordinary marital stresses and trying to guide her kids through their equally mundane challenges, the editors are going to decline it, not because they're ideologically opposed but because they can't make any money off it. (And yes I know people in this thread would read it but that's an outlier). If Black Library thought they could make money publishing stories in which the most violent scene is when someone raised their voice in an argument, they would.

I get what you are saying but also like a third of Andor was “let’s watch Mon Mothma’s lovely marriage fall apart” and it is regarded as some of the best of Star Wars, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Another third was “let’s watch an incel cop get verbally wrecked by his boss, mother, and woman he is stalking” and also, some of the best of Star Wars, period

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Black Griffon posted:

We gotta get Austin Walker and the gang to make a really, really small season of More Civilized for Titus Endor, that'll get GW's attention and cause them to make "The Andor of 40k".

He's called 'Endor', it's got a Star Wars connection.

AMCA slaps, so yes.

Maybe get them to like read Horus Heresy if this strike goes on longer

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
I’m about 10% in to End and the Death Vol 2 and Sanguinious is so cool. I hope he wins and gets a happy ending here

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

FPyat posted:

I just hope Vol 3 doesn't have the final climax occur in the very last few pages of the book, as he is wont to do. It was particularly crazy how rapidly Traitor General ended.

I think it is a little unfair to talk about “typical Abnett rushed ending” when the final book is the length of 6 books and split in 3 volumes

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
I believe Fo will become Belisarius Cawl

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Man Maximus Thane old af if he fights in the Great Crusade, Heresy, Siege, War of the Beast, and The Beheading.

Or is this a “same name different guy” situation?

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
EatD2: Man, it’s nice to see Abaddon have his poo poo together. So much of Horus Heresy, and even most of Siege, he’s been a mad dog, just your standard hyper violent brute at the villains elbow. Nothing particularly interesting about him, just “angle bargle bad guy roar!” Here even in a situation he is not in control of, he’s a thinking character with goals, focus, drive, and foibles. He’s actually realized as a character. It’s such a welcome change from his usual garbage depictions.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

moths posted:

Huh. I skimmed the Goonhammer review and I'm not sure the writer read the book.

I found myself in agreement with them. Seemed to need an editor very badly. Lots of reputation, subtext just stated, etc etc.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

What makes you think this? The Dark King's aspect is stated over and over to be Ruin, never a mention of Tyranny.

Ruin is used in context to be “all of Chaos”, not ruin as a conceptual area or domain

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

Is that a consistent thing? It could be, but if so I didn't pick up on it.
Yes, in the discussions about the Dark King and ruin, it is always capitalized. Similarly it is always capitalized when discussing Chaos as “forces of Ruin” and “Ruinous Powers”, which marks it as distinct from use of the word to describe anything else. It’s capitalized as a title, just as The Dark King is.

It will talk about how the palace or armor or someone’s face is “ruined”, lower case, but uses the capital R “Ruin” for talking about Chaos

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Demiurge4 posted:

The other is that the Emperor actually did die. He saw what Sanguinius had done and was able to do and did the same thing and has spent the last 10k years piecing himself together to be reborn thanks to his perpetual nature.

Can you unpack what you mean by “ He saw what Sanguinius had done and was able to do and did the same thing ”? Because unless I missed something what Sanguinius did was find his way to Horus and fight him, nothing else super special. Did I miss some crucial bit of lore because I didn’t have larger lore context?

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

moths posted:

Isn't blackstone's thing that it's immune to warp fuckery? I can't figure out why there's a jail made out of the stuff.

Feels like that should be important later though.

Build a jail out of it so you can hold psykers there

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Fearless posted:

If space marine SAMs disturb you, I got real bad news about the installation of a Geller fied generator.

What goes in to that? I am not familiar with that bit

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
My theory is Bastillo Fo is Crawl or at least all the important parts of him.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Just wrapped up The Beast In The Trenches by Josh Reynolds and really enjoyed it. Is his other stuff similar? Or was he given more room to play in prose stylings and atmosphere because it was Warhammer Horror?

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

I swear Guy Haley writes most of his good scenes as if they're meant for the big screen. The crescendo tank fight in Baneblade, the undersea walk in Titandeath...and the weird slapstick comedy opening scene in The Great Work that doesn't fit the rest of the book at all, but it would translate perfectly to a show or movie, two bumbling tech adepts doing everything short of accidentally sticking their :dong:s in electrical sockets as they try not to get shot down by their own allies.

This is true for vast swaths fiction of publishing these days. Authors don’t make use of the traits of the novel as a medium, you can tell that they were writing it as a TV show/movie in their heads. No art or investment to the prosecraft, only sensory descriptions are visual and sound, character reactions written like stage directions, no work with various perspectives or structure that the medium affords, all exposition is dialogue etc etc etc.

Some are more obvious about it than others (Haley in Avenging Son was so bad about this) but it is so common that at this point I regard writers who write books as books rather than books as movies as a rare treat when I find them.

It is somewhat to be expected, you tell stories in the format you study and these days most stories people are exposed to are tv and movies. But I still find it annoying and appreciate the writers who study genres and mediums to take advantage of them

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Yeah, Astartes are superhumanly fast, they're like Jedi in speed and agility (and a lot of their hero types use power weapons, which are basically lightsabers) but built and armored like a tank. I don't recall that many visual things (games or animated) that really show that well, they tend to look more plodding or be a relatively generic enemy. I've always liked the mix of precision and brutality.

The space marines are basically an army of 80s action heroes.

So the visual things that would show their superhuman strength speed and agility would be 80s action movies

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Him becoming a god is the Dark King. It does not go well

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Read Rath’s Fall of Cadia, and it was a lot of fun.

Very clear Rath is a screenwriter, basically all exposition is via dialogue, 90% of the descriptions are visual, 10% audio, and you can basically feel the camera pan/zoom/fade instructions as scenes unfold.

But that’s me being a literature snob, for Warham space shooties it is a blast, the dialogue is punchy, and there are excellent humor beats just like TIATD. (It is still funny but far less funny than TIATD). Also we get some great Trayzen and Cawl bits - honestly I wish there was more of them

Totally worth your $10

Grilled Beef fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 12, 2024

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Trazyn and Cawl buddy comedy. Trazyn shows up in the 42nd Millennium to collect Cawl again (since he only let him go the first time so he could see what the Primarus project would look like and said he’d be back in a few hundred years) and Cawl convinces him to do a team up heist together instead to steal something Cawl wants to study. Meanwhile Cawl has to keep distracting Imperials who want to bring him to account so they don’t catch him working with a xenos

Fall of Acadia laid the groundwork for it. Make it happen

(Trazyn picking apart Cawl’s custom gear for unique pieces while Cawl is trying to get him to stop while on the comm with Creed was a great bit. “Oops, I lost it”)

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
What is the consensus on Joshua Hill and in particular Cadian Honour? In particular I’m looking for good descriptive prose. Is he a solid addition to the BL stable or more like a Haley or French style writer ?

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Orks are asexual aromantic which is why they are perfect.

Their version of romance and love are waugh, and they are in love with the action, rather than using the action to express it to others

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Tanith makes a lot more sense when you realize it is the Brits blowing up Space Ireland

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Thing about being a long time writer is you sold a lot of books and made them a lot of money. And that is what really counts

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Warden posted:

A thing I feel like some people might be missing is that being able to churn out books reliably and within deadlines is an incredibly highly-valued ability and can count for a lot more than "writes good books, but slowly, and missed deadlines".

Yep. To jump to film real quick: Everyone talks about how Kubrick was obsessive about shots and would go 509 times to get a perfect take, no one talks about how he ran bare bones sets and consistently made a ton of money. Michael Bay is praised as only of the only men in Hollywood who can run a $5m/day action sequence set and get what he needs. Clint Eastwood will go all day but he gets it in the can and comes in ahead of schedule and under budget. You know why Adam Sandler still has a career? Because he consistently makes a profit for his investors. You probably didn’t watch The Out-Laws, but Netflix paid $62m for it and it only cost $47 to make. Paul Blart 2 cost $30m, and it made $107m. Consistently turning out a profitable product matters.

It’s like the Moneyball scene. “Why do we like him?” “Because he gets on base.” Why does BL like Gav Thorpe? Because he sells books.

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, this is probably more true than a joke. GW is in the money-making business and they're not exactly chasing literary awards, so a dude who writes the books he's assigned and makes them money doing it is a valuable employee.

Oh I was being totally serious. The ability to do a creative project in a way that you are consistently on schedule, under budget, and profitable is a *massive* skill to have, one that is frankly far more important that artistic merit. You can say it shouldn’t be like that and I agree, but it is, and that is something that is actually quite difficult to master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

lines posted:

Krieg are cool on paper. Unfortunately there very much is a type of guy who is Weird About Krieg in a somewhat sus way: often he will be a little too into their stahlhelms (which of course saw long-standing in the German military, but, crucially, famously that included the Wehrmacht). It's always an issue in 40k, people who are just worryingly too much into Nazi-coded poo poo being weird about it, but I think it especially happens with them for whatever reason.

The irony of course that the Death Korps are meant to be WW1 French, and if someone wants the Nazis that is what the Armageddon Steel Legion is for. But Nazis gonna Nazi so they decided Kreig is about how you are badass for being “hard men” who “do whatever it takes” to “win”, and not about how the dehumanization of lives by officers leading to ungodly and totally unnecessary slaughter