Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've always loved the notion of a film based on Titanicus. There are giant machine-gods blowing poo poo up, religious/political machinations, and a variety of poor sods struggling to stay alive amidst it all. If ever a WH40k movie is made at all it'll be about SPESS MAHREENS, of course, but a man can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Uroboros posted:

When the gently caress is Warmaster coming out? UGhhhhhhhhhh!
February 2017, apparently. :(

Does anyone here have any experience with the customer service of Black Library? I mailed them a week ago because an order I tried to place didn't quite work out (the only part that went through was my getting charged for the eBook), but other than an automated response I haven't heard back from them. Just wondering if this is par for the course.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MMAgCh posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with the customer service of Black Library? I mailed them a week ago because an order I tried to place didn't quite work out (the only part that went through was my getting charged for the eBook), but other than an automated response I haven't heard back from them. Just wondering if this is par for the course.
For the record, I did call them just now and they sorted everything out within a matter of minutes. So that was some pretty good customer service!

(Apparently the mail I'd sent them went into their junk mail folder. :xd:)

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
You should definitely read those in order so you can grow attached to the characters before they're inevitably, horribly killed. There also are plot callbacks occasionally that won't make any sense otherwise.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I think I'll give it a shot. I don't know the setting that well compared to the die-hards and I've done precious little creative writing in my life, but hey, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, right?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Are there any books other than Titanicus that deal with Titans/the Collegia Titanica? The graphic novels written by Dan Abnett are the closest thing I can find, but they're very much out of print.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Thanks for the Titan-related recommendations, I'll look into them. Something I'm after in particular is a look at the internal hierarchy, workings etc. of the Collegia Titanica (especially the Military Orders), but from what I've read on various wikis it doesn't look like that stuff has ever been fleshed out to any major degree.

jadebullet posted:

Hmm, just in time for the new Eisenhorn adventure game to come out, which looks pretty awesome graphically.
:aaa: I had no idea this was coming out. I hope it'll be decent at least, though with the devs apparently only having one other, iOS game to their name, who knows. The gameplay teaser does make it look a little janky, but they might still nail the fluff/story/characters, right?

…right? :ohdear:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I've been reading the omnibus and was surprised by how good these books are. For being heretical monsters the protagonists are surprisingly likeable.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I finished the Night Lords omnibus the other day and, well, it really was pretty good. The way it ended was moderately depressing in some ways, but that's in keeping with the general tone of the books, I suppose.

Meanwhile there are less than two weeks left until the deadline of BL's short story submissions event, and I can't get what I'm working on to gel terribly well. It's just as well that they're not expecting the entire thing to be finished because that's very unlikely to happen, but maybe I'll manage the summary and sample at least. :iiam: I hope everybody else who's giving it a shot is doing better than I am!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Once I finish my exam tomorrow I'm going to go full tilt and finish my submission. It has to be 10000 words or less, right?
Technically there's no "or less", but it's probably implied? I've no idea how that sort of thing works in the publishing business. :shobon: Here's the link again for anyone who missed it the first time around.

I'm just shy of 1,400 words myself currently. The very beginning, part of the end, and some disjointed bits and pieces in-between. It's better than nothing!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm still struggling with getting the summary just right (the actual sample was child's play by comparison), but meeting the deadline still looks quite doable from here.

I'm not sure I am doing the actual theme terribly much justice, vague though it is, but at this point there's nothing for it but to hope for the best!

Edit: and I'm done. :rip:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 28, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Congratulations on getting to enjoy Eisenhorn for the first time!

It's too bad that the upcoming Xenos game isn't looking very good (although perhaps it doesn't help that the Quicklook I watched gave me motion sickness). I'm not sure even Mark Strong will ultimately be able to save it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
This week BL have an iOS-only event going with a bunch of deals on apps and books. Are any of the latter worth getting? I already own First and Only.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Uroboros posted:

Horus Rising
Even if I have no particular intentions at this time of getting into the rest of the series?

No response from BL to my short story submission so far. As I only mailed it to them on the 28th that might not be saying anything, though, depending on how many submissions they have to work through all in all.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arcsquad12 posted:

Still haven't heard back from my Black library submission. Did they email you with a confirmation they received your entry, or an email with their response? I'm wondering if I messed something up when I sent my email.
I never received a confirmation mail either. It's funny though – on Facebook BL claimed that everybody may not receive a response after all, while on another forum they (allegedly) wrote in a mail response to a poster there that everybody would receive a response. :shrug:

Fellblade posted:

Not really relevant since after a few books in they went with the standard GW move of never advance the story. It's barely a series after the first 3-4 books anyway.
Fair enough. Horus Rising and Armageddon it is!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

UberJumper posted:

[ADB wanted] to make a book about Octavia and Septimus about them trying fit themselves into imperial society, but BL said no.
I know that post is almost two years old, but I just happened across it and…ugh. Why can't we have something like that instead of the umpteenth (limited [collector's] edition) Space Marine novel(la) (audiobook). t:mad:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
My entry for the short story contest finally was rejected today. Which might be for the best because I'm not sure I'd've been ready to deal with all the legal and editorial stuff that comes with getting accepted.

I'm kind of curious now as to which stories are going to end up in those anthologies, though.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I wrote about the amnesiac survivor of an Archenemy assault trying to escape from a ruined city. After a number of increasingly unsettling encounters with other survivors and Chaos soldiery alike, he eventually realises that he is a Warlord princeps, trapped in the engine's dream/nightmare of a city it failed to save from the Ruinous Powers hundreds of years before. By that point he is so far gone that he opts to join with the Titan's spirit; the story's final scene consists of the princeps' casket being ceremonially disconnected in the "real world" after he has quite literally lost his mind to the engine – far from the first princeps so claimed by the Titan, it is implied.

It's probably a fairly weak take on the "Imperium of Man" theme, or at least that's what I think got it rejected. But who knows!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Any opinions on the Sabbat Crusade anthology? I've read Sabbat Worlds and thought it was OK.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Scheduled for February 2017 last I checked. Which probably means it'll actually be released in the early '20s at this rate.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 4, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
If there's no servitor shoving someone down the stairs while augmitting "PAK CHOOIE UNF", you needn't even bother. :colbert:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Waroduce posted:

I'm reading Space Marine by Ian Watson and its hilarious
You know, given that it's been out of print for years I might actually pay $70 for a limited collector's hardcover edition of such magnificent prose. Chop chop, BL!

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I was joking about the limited edition thing, although as a rule I don't buy used either. If they ever re-release it as a reasonably priced eBook (ha ha) I might grab it.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
The Lexicanum lists an ISBN for a 2013 eBook release, but that article is literally the only Google hit for the ISBN given. So close and yet so far. :sigh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Arquinsiel posted:

He's been getting that for years. My guess is that he's just getting so much work that he's only taking the stuff he really wants to do.
But how can he not really want to work toward writing the allegedly horrible death of Ravenor? :mad:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark EU there is only law.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There will be a reveal at the appropriate time.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
At this point I don't even want to try to guess which'll be published first, Penitent or the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Meanwhile I tell myself, "you should probably read one or two of those Ciaphas Cain novels," and go to the BL website, and discover that the omnibus editions still are available as actual printed books only, and that buying the individual eBooks separately would easily be twice as expensive as those print omnibuses, and so in the end I'm like

and don't buy anything at all because god drat it BL. :orks:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
New Abnett! Featuring Eisenhorn no less!

Oh wait, it's an eShort. :negative:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
And sadly, it seems the Eisenhorn: Xenos game is aggressively mediocre at best. I was pretty severely disappointed to learn that. :(

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Now if only Dan Abnett would tweet something similar about Penitent or Warmaster. :sigh:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
That is some pretty sweet cover artwork though, gotta give 'em that.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I hear it's not really worth the asking price. Apparently the game was released well before it was ready, and instead of the Planetside-style persistent world MMO that was touted early on it's basically a mediocre, unpolished Battlefield 40,000 instead.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm reading Priests of Mars right now and couldn't help but note that there are two characters who seem to be named after metal bands. :black101:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kopijeger posted:

I don't remember exactly where it was, but one of the books in the trilogy directly references FM-2030. Now, how likely is this person to be remembered in the year 40k-something?
The omnibus contains a short story in which he's basically described as one of the earliest founding members of the Mechanicum. I suppose that makes it reasonably likely that some information about him would be found in a few Martian data-vaults. They never delete anything, after all. :v:

Of course, the question of how much ancient knowledge and lore have been preserved until M41 is another one of those things that varies from BL author to BL author. In Pariah a small, ancient toy rocket makes an appearance whose provenance nobody knows anything about because the letters CCCP stencilled on its side mean nothing to them, while in Priests of Mars one character finds himself reminded of "the gladiatorial warriors of the Romanii empire from Old Earth's ancient history". :shrug:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Fellblade posted:

I was gonna nerd slap fight about the cultural impact of Rome vs USSR but I dunno if it's worth it.

Just gonna say I think there's a big difference between the two, especially with the clearly roman styling in 40k. Also Emperor was totally Augustus.

It is lame schlock though as well.
Yeah, those were just the two examples that came to mind, and not very good ones either no doubt. :shobon:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Demiurge4 posted:

Also god loving dammit how long do I have to wait for Warmaster?
Not much longer than for Penitent, I'm sure.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Comics in general happened, which supposedly pay considerably better than BL work. If you look at his Twitter there's all sorts of comics talk with hardly any mention of anything 40k ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
In a certain sense the Primarchs were just the Emperor's guinea pigs anyway.