Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What are you talking about? They've released two complete armies (Nighthaunt and Deepkin,) the new Stormcast (pretty much a complete army on its own), AoS 2, the new magic system and spells, Malign Portents, a handful of Battletomes, and just announced Goblins, all in 2018.

Yeah, they blew the AoS launch, but they've certainly recovered and have been picking up the pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bango skank posted:

chuck tingle

"Powerfisted in the Imperial Butt by the Talon of Horus"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Why are they springing for such talent for kids books? Audiobooks don't strike me as big for that market.

Apparently, Audible would say otherwise.

Audiobooks can also help kids who are currently struggling with reading and, especially with the Warhammer books, allow for a shared experience with a mom or dad who also enjoys the hobby.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

Some parent is going to think "oh hey, my kid likes Dr Who - this must me something to do with that".

Oh boy...

I doubt that. It doesn't say "Dr. Who" all over it. That would be like "Daisy Ridley reads "Sense and Sensibility'" and thinking "Oooh - this is some good Star Wars!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Plavski posted:

The quality of the Warham audiobooks on Audible is very good and there are tonnes of them so they must be popular. More kids into the hobby can only be a good thing right?

Gotta get new blood, or else it becomes hex and chit wargaming or model trains.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dog_Meat posted:

You are vastly overestimating the doddering grandma who sees "that nice girl off the telly program that my grandson puts on". It's spaceman stuff. That's where her perception ends.
I think you're vastly overestimating the doddering grandma who knows what the hell her grandchild is watching on TV. Also, if you thinks kids even watch TV anymore, you're way off.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Goddammit. Now they are making e-shorts of Inferno stories? I thought the whole point of Inferno was to decrease the excessive amount of ebook shorts that were coming out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

I am sure I have seen it somewhere on :filez: sites. It's a great book and it's a shame GW didn't make it more easily available.
Yeah, it's definitely available as :filez:. It's not a great scan, but it's readable.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Xun posted:

But why did it have to be space marines :argh:

Because they have to appeal to 80% of their base.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Galvanik posted:

I just finished Magos and enjoyed it a lot. One thing kept bothering me though. All these years I'd always thought "magos" specifically meant a high ranking ad-mech priest who'd mastered one science or another. Is it a more general term equivalent to professor?

From the Lexicanum:

quote:

Members of the Order engage in the Quest for Knowledge as other Tech Priests, though differ in that they regard flesh not as inferior to metal, but instead as a different type of machine

So it appears to be ranking of a senior member of the particular sect.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Honestly, if you have a passing knowledge of Ravenor and Eisenhorn, you'd be ok with Magos. I thought Magos was alright - I had heard and enjoyed most, if not all, of the shorts before, and the novella was serviceable, but I didn't think it was great. I liked where it started off being kind of a spooky ghost story, but I thought the second half was a bit too long and drawn out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Production delay?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm two stories away from The Magos by now I think, and now I'm intrigued as to how they're gonna tie in.

Also, I'm digging Toby Longworth, I already liked his bits in the Garro collection, but he's narrating this entire Magos collection by himself, and it doesn't get dull.

Two things, though:
a) Eisenhorns dystaff are apparently all from New York with one exception
b) Good lord, his rendition of Patience's voice is awkward, he makes her sound like a gnome

Yeah, Longworth is really good for Eisenhorn. He's got that gravely gumshoe voice down pat. And I agree that Patience is terrible. I honestly don't know what he was talking with that one.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Dodoman posted:

If it's not too much trouble, is it possible to get a synopsis of what has changed?

What's really changed is that GW actually gives a poo poo about the setting now and is actively devoting time to fleshing it out and grounding it to a perspective that the reader can associate with. Even the Stormcast have personality and are interesting now.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

susan posted:

Agreed with the above thoughts on Ravenor. It also had some weird... I want to say 'anachronisms' but I'm not sure that's the right word for 40k incongruities, but I'm going with it. Like, servitors with personalities who could speak in full sentences. And starships with crews of around 50 people, not 50,000. And the three-way-door bit felt more Harry Potter than Grimdark. It was enjoyable and I'm glad I read it, but it's so weird to me that this was written *after* Eisenhorn, so many of the elements felt less fleshed out to me.

The galaxy is a big place. Depending on the servitor role, it's perfectly understandable for them to be able to speak in complete sentences. They could still be mind wiped and have other cognitive skills disabled though. As for the ship crews, you can run a ship on a skeleton crew. Most of our reference is for battleships which are naturally going to have tons of people just by their nature. I don't remember the example you're referencing in Ravenor, but transport ships could easily get away with smaller crews because they don't need a lot of infrastructure support. Also, depending on the ship, more or less of the crew functions could be served by whatever stands for the ship's machine spirit.

Also, unreliable narrators.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

Anyone have a handle on The Strange Demise of Titus Endor? I read the book and am working through the audiobook now, but I still can't figure out what happened to the dancer. Was it being implied that Endor sacrificed her in his dementia?

It's been a little while, but I think she is either someone from his past, or just someone he sees and has built her into his dementia.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bango skank posted:

I picked up Sacrosanct, the short story starter book for AoS and I can't really put my finger on it, but I feel like I'm bouncing off it pretty hard for some reason. Like I'm really into 40k, and I feel like in theory I should be down for what basically amounts to the same thing but with fantasy flavor, but I just can't bring myself to care about any of it.

If you sat me down and told me about these warriors who were plucked from the moment of their death and reforged into holy champions of their god, crazy mage-knights who lose a little bit of who they were every time they're pulled back from the clutches of death whenever they fall in battle, I'd be all about it. But in practice, the Stormcast and what I've seen of the other factions so far all just seem so bland to me.

While I'll read both genres I've always been more interested in sci-fi than fantasy(the last thing I read that was high fantasy like AoS was probably a random Dragonlance book 20 years ago in middle school.) So even though 40k is more fantasy-in-space than actual sci-fi maybe it's just the genre that I'm getting hung up on? I'll power through the rest of the stories in this and the two AoS shorts from the BL Celebration collection but I don't think any of it is going to stick with me.

40K has had about 30 years to get to the point where it's at now. AoS has only been good for like a year, and they are still really fleshing things out. To be completely honest, if you can get your hands on the Battletome army books, you're going to get much better reading out of them. The Spear of Shadows was good because it was from a human POV and had a distinctly WFB feel. Anything from a Stormcast POV is going to be pretty bland until writers really start running with the "each time I come back, part of me is lost" thing.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

Seems the young adult novels have been out for a while now and I didn't notice. Has anyone read them yet?

They came out and 40K and AoS (an already dead game, so it didn't really matter anyway) crashed and burned due to the influx of children and women and GW went bankrupt immediately. The chuds were right all along...

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Did the Fantasy horror book come out? Is it good? Old World or Sigmar?

There are two horror books. One is strictly 40K and the other (Maledictions) is both 40K and AoS. And AoS from the ground-level view is pretty close to the old world nowadays, apart from some name swaps.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

D-Pad posted:

I enjoyed Maledictions but I thought The Wicked and the Damned had better horror stories.

Oof. I thought Wicked and the Damned was serviceable, but other than ‘Woman in the Walls,' I didn't think of the stories as being what I would consider horror.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pistol_Pete posted:

I thought they were all pretty good. There was a much greater focus on the protagonist's internal struggles - it was very clear that these were all ordinary human beings with their limitations and weaknesses, stuck in a brutally unforgiving universe. And in each story, as well as the physical horror, there was also a psychological aspect: The commissar driven mad by isolation and endless deployment but completely unable to see it, the officer gradually mentally disintegrating as she has to deal with not just being chased by a pissed-off ghost but also with her guilt and her superior's increasingly open suspicions of her and a priest who ultimately abandons the woman he loves to a hungry chaos spawn (but feels really bad about it afterwards, ok?)

I think we saw these a little differently. The commissar was already insane - he was killing animals as a kid. The officer was a ganger scumbag who wasn't feeling guilt, just fear that her actions were actually going to have actual repercussions this time. And the priest was just selfish - again, he didn't feel any guilt for his actions, and was constantly justifying them by saying "You would have done the same thing!"

All in all, I thought they were mediocre, serviceable stories. I've read the first two stories in the Maledictions and feel the same way about those so far. It could be that I'm a bit jaded in the realization that the Warhammer universe as a whole is a truly awful place for everyone involved, but with the exception of the second story in Wicked and the Damned none of the stories have really evoked a sense of dread or horror in me.

"The Widow Tide" in Maledictions is especially frustrating to me because it had promise but had the terrible non-horror ending of the Deepkin stealing the soul of the main character for no particular literary reason. It was just a typical Warhammer story that could have been in any collection.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arquinsiel posted:

That's kind of the problem with GW's general tone. How exactly do you ratchet up the horror when it's already at 11?

Exactly. If you're not a Space Marine/Stormcast, every waking moment of your day is pure, unadulterated horror. It's overbearing to the point where it gets blase.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Taerkar posted:

Celestial Lions are natural prey for Ork Inquisition Snipers.
Fixed that for you.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Yeah, I started listening to the Soul Wars audiobook, and quit about 1/3 of the way through. Try Spear of Shadows. It is more of a traditional Warhammer story from the viewpoint of "normal" people. I've heard that Plague Garden is good too, but I haven't read it yet. Callis and Toll: Silver Shard was alright, but I was listening to the audiobook, and I thought it got a little annoying at times, but was probably just me having issues with a narrator. Gloomspite is on my list, because Gitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Miguel Prado posted:

Wrapping up Plague Garden, it’s my first ever bit of AoS and except for a bit confusion over all the different types of sigmarines, I thoroughly enjoyed it

It's a surprisingly good book. The audiobook is a good listen.