Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm about 2/3 through First Heretic, and it's surprisingly good. And now I somehow like the Word Bearers.

I was really impressed with the take on Lorgar's faith and falling: For all of his professed faith in humanity and the Emperor, he doesn't actually have any faith that they'd defeat Chaos. It's all ritual and lip service.

Meanwhile the Emperor's plan of censoring the gods would have succeeded in disempowering them, but whoops.

I don't know if that gets explicitly spelled out in the third act, but I was surprised at the depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Definitely, and thanks for these recommendations. I wasn't really sure where to go next, HH grew exponentially since the last one I read.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Those all sound great! I'll do Aurelian next, and if Know No Fear gets boring I might skip to Betrayer.

Do we ever hear anything more about the Ultras absorbing troops from the redacted chapters? They hinted at it in the beginning of FH, and I'm wondering if that was related to the Landspeeder pilot who took pity on the Blessed Lady in the opening scenes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Finished First Heretic, about to move into Aurelian.

I spent a lot of time wondering just who the "first heretic" title refers to, and I think it's the Emperor, based on the prevailing themes and some cool reveals later in the book.

(I realize that I'm spoiling speculation, but from it you can back-engineer the joy out of some surprises.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's credited as a writer, so I'm guessing...lots?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I hope he makes the Ultramarines a whole chapter of evil twins, each with a sinister goatee.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Re:Horus clone, the point it was trying to make is that whilst genetically identical, it was never going to be the same as he didn't have whatever the chaos gods gave the emperor in return in the big ol' bargain he made with them

Does the Emperor's bargain ever get fleshed out more? I've so far only seen it in First Heretic, and it's from probably the least reliable of sources.

It makes a lot of sense that they'd give him the tools to conquer the universe (and establish churches to Chaos gods) and then he'd gently caress them over by banning all church and deflating them.

E: Isn't Abaddon himself a Horus clone?

moths fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 22, 2017

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If anything, Lorgar abandoning Chaos makes the most sense. He turned to Chaos when he lost faith in the Emperor and humanity, rationalizing that Humanity was doomed without the help of Chaos so it follows that he'd try to walk away when he realizes this isn't the right path either.

I'm surprised the guy's not a spawn already, except they're probably keeping him around to revel in his misery.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Word of Lorgar in the voice of Alex Jones is an entirely plausible, terrifying scenario.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Trump is an aspect of Tzeentch who's only capable of deceiving its followers into thinking they're worshipping a better aspect of Tzeentch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's the rumor, but I'd be unsurprised if the kit also builds the Arch-"heretic" Luthor...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

hopterque posted:

Pretty much. Why couldn't he just tell his 18 idiot sons "hey so we're reclaiming the galaxy from aliens and poo poo but the number one biggest baddest enemy are the warp creatures that want to corrupt our whole society".

I'm pretty sure his plan was to ultimately defeat the Chaos gods by full suppression of knowledge their existence. The Imperial Truth of a godless, rational universe wasn't exactly true...yet.

In a sense, he's telling his kids "there's no monster under your bed." Because he knows there's a monster and it thrives on attention. But of course they look under the bed, and Lorgar builds a church to it. Magnus is like "I need to warn Dad!"

It's not a great plan, or it might have been the best plan. But we'll never know if it works because the primarchs were dummies who thought they knew better than dad.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Horus Heresy has been consistently revisiting themes and aesthetics from Rogue Trader days, and one of the older ideas was full suppression of Chaos knowledge. Inquisitors would round up and execute Guard veterans of Daemon attacks, and mindwipe Marines who had seen too much.

That is, the very existence of daemons and chaos was originally a closely guarded secret.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It would be amazing if the missing two were destroyed out of jealousy for being greater than the Emperor himself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

Best to just keep leaving ominous hints, I think.

Ultimately, you're right. Unless it's something mind-blowing awesome, any revelation is going to feel tacked on.

Given how each Primarch represents some aspect of the Emperor, it follows that the missing two would represent something within himself that he is ashamed of, or causes him disgust or embarrassment. Or something he needed to suppress to achieve what he did.

It would be a peek directly into the psyche of the God Emperor in his prime, which feels like overexplaning. There's a good story to be told about how deleting two aspects of his person sparked the imbalance that fostered the Heresy, but I'm not going to be the one to tell it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Switching to color is a great device, it really sells that poo poo got really real.

I haven't read the book yet, what does the Princeps keep seeing in his vision?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I like the bit in one of the Mechanicus books where the Emperor is like a 17th century knight who fights a dragon. Nefore capturing it and sticking it on mars, somehow.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a regiment in the new codex that's wearing the tricorn caps of Washington's army, which you could probably manage with Cadians and historical heads.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Doesn't look like it, just some NPCs. Also I am a dummy and they appear in the Only War supplement Hammer of the Emperor, which I picked up around the same time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

First Lord of the Imperium was pretty fun, I wish it was a little longer for the money but there are some pretty rad revelations in there.

Totally worth it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would assume that the text of the short gets included in some omnibus or other. It might also not because there's some serious sea change lore introduced and I think they're testing the waters before making it official.

If you just want some of the MASSIVE spoilers:
Malcador and his secret order made the emperor into The Emperor.
The Heresy was planned as an extinction event after the marines had outlived their purpose.
The Emperor curated the Primarchs' jealously and insecurity, but didn't foresee chaos balancing the scales.
Malcador is like 7000 years old.

It's a lot to swallow when you're buying groceries expecting a light 20 minute puff piece.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's a lot to unpack - I'd love to read more about pre Imperial times, but I don't think we'll get Unification Wars or another peek behind that curtain anytime soon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I was curious to see what the reaction to First Lord of the Imperium was, so I checked Reddit.

Malcador at one point said the word "lie" so he's an unreliable narrator and everything he said is lies. Goddamnit, Reddit. How can anyone be that aggressively dense?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's pretty clear what he means in the context of "I tell them lies," but they're using that to invalidate the whole story.

So far this is the best / only explanation for Bad Dad Emperor.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's frustrating af because they clearly put so much effort into the video and then literally phoned in the audio.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

Its not like marines have been particularly understandable since dawn of war came out.

The filter is fine, but the acting was abysmal in spots. It's some random teenager trying really hard to deliver DoW dialogue, and it shows.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Drachenfels is a pretty great way to get started reading the fantasy stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Knight fluff has been revised several times, but I'd love to find stories from the iteration where they wrestled xenos dinosaurs on feudal worlds.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Not only is it still a thing, but Genestealer Cults are now a full army in 40k, Shadow War Armageddon, and have also been indicated for Necromunda.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Inquisitor War also had a cool genestealer cult segment IIRC.

I started reading Descent of Angels and it occurs to me that the Dark Angels don't have a genetic flaw. I assumed they had some degree of innate warp affinity (with the Watchers and high chaos turnover) but that apparently comes from Caliban itself?

Then the main character interacts with a watcher before becoming a space marine, so now I don't really know what to think.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh jeez, yah I forgot that being gay was a "flaw" 35 years ago. That didn't age well.

I remember that the Imperial Fists were masochists (thanks, Ian Watson) and don't the White Scars have something like space restless legs syndrome?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just finished Descent of Angels. I thought it was pretty good, and really liked how the spooky forest was a metaphor for the emperor's crusade. I couldn't figure out why people were so down on it.

And then the book takes a loving nosedive into a Star Trek TNG fan-fiction with bolters. Like, it's seriously a planet of hats.

Is the next one any better?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Old Man Yarrick uplifted to a marine body would be fantastic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just don't want him to get older and die. :ohdear:

It would also prepare him for when Gazgul comes back and he's the size of Mortarion.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

susan posted:

So. Where should I send them?

It could be fun trying to explain to the Custodes how they accidentally infiltrated the Imperial Palace on Holy Terra, but that's likely a campaign-ender.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Warp isn't really FTL though, it's basically just a shortcut outside of reality.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There's also the Callidus phase blades, which I think was the first time we saw "C'tan" in 40k.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They lost something like a full Leman Russ company recovering the wreckage of Fortress of Arrogance and decided it was a net gain.

No baneblades are rescuing anyone who isn't an Inquisitor or High Lord of Terra.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Immanentized posted:

I see, this is absolutely Chimera conscript work.

The most 40k solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The thing your forgetting is the framing device - the book you read exists in the 40k universe.

Somehow the narrative makes it out of the webway and into the hands of the Inquisitor reading it from the introduction. If it's true. That is, the implied story didn't actually end where ther narrative did. Maybe.

It's the most unreliable of narrators, and might be a direct attempt to undermine the reader's beliefs