Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Are there ever kindle deals on 40k books? I miss being young, living at home, having low customs and shipping rates and just buying a bunch of physical books. It's way more expensive now.-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Oooh, never thought to look there. I'll keep that in mind, and hope people shout them out itt.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Just think of it like it's not only authored by several people in reality, but also in the realm of our most holy God Emperor. I'm sure some of the books in the bible were like insanely bad before 2000 years of reinterpretation, like five hundred pages of Jesus having a spear fight with satan but bad.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Magnus is like the primordial Nerd Lord, we have to accept that there's too much of him in us and thus he is elevated.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Good premise for a big RPG (possibly Deus Ex style): Seriously wounded custodian has to build up his skills again, wander the empire helping folks, but without being able to use his status (because he'd come across as too much and/or plot reasons). Of course, being a custodian, even a wounded one, it wouldn't be like "kill this group of criminals!" like in DX, but rather "take out this daemon Prince threatening a planet" or "eradicate an entire stronghold of chaos marines" or "single handedly stop a small hive fleet splinter".

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Snakez is so good. I love Abnett in general of course, but there's something about that book which feels so unique and almost forlorn.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I borrowed the first Grey Knights from a friend years ago and then forgot to read the rest, but I seem to remember being entertained (and forgetting to read the rest has way more to do with ADHD than anything else).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

bagrada posted:

Fantasy novels started in 1989.

forgot this wasn't the F/SF thread and thought "wait what kind of dogshit take is this" for a moment

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

At what point in the Heresy should I read Garro?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

How much do the abridged versions of the first three Hoary Heresy books actually abridge? It's almost a pointless question because duty compells me to re-read the unabridged versions (I read them years ago and I'm hoping audiobooks will make it easier to stick with the series), but I'm kinda curious.
edit: "Duty" is neurodivergence

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Kurzon posted:

Darktide feels like Necromunda Hired Gun. Or Transformers: War for Cybertron. The environment doesn't feel like a place where people actually live and work. Where are the apartments? The public squares? The markets? It feels... like a video game gauntlet with sci-fi greeble wallpaper.

There's a bunch of public squares and stalls and workplaces and poo poo. Not too many apartments, but I'm certain some hive cities essentially don't have them when you get a click down or so. You just tuck yourself into a storage closet the five hours you're not mounting skulls on a skull.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I know we're derailing here, but the bolter almost made my eyes well up with how beautiful it is. The action, the thunder and roar, the way the recoil kicks like a beaching freight ship and the way the shells disintegrate three or four people at a time. It's perfect.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I could swear I got annoyed because Abnett described las shots as bolts with velocity in GG. Was that just early on? Am I misremembering?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah, there's something going on there, and chemically fired lasers would also fire beams. I will simply have to re-read GG I guess.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's all a mess, of course, but I can forgive everything except for c being negatively broken.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It's either "something strange had happened, I feel it in the shivers on my inquisition grade psyker mind and the curios glances of my companions" or "BLOOD gently caress ETERNAL WARRIOR OF THE FORGOTTEN CHAPTER BRAIN HUNTERS GONE TEN THOUSAND YEARS INTO FUTURE AND HAVING THE TIME OF HIS LIFE IN THE HIVE CITY GURMUGRUM"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Gotta be honest, Cavill as Eisenhorn is so far from the Eisenhorn in my mind that it's hard to imagine it. He's supposed to be an ugly, scrunched up poo poo even before the unfortunate events in the mansion, and an even uglier poo poo after. My cast was Mel Gibson for a bit, then at some point I didn't want to think about Mel Gibson.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I recon you've still got some prettyboys out there who keep their good looks until they get merked. They do get merked though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I haven't gotten far enough in my reread, but I think Loken kept his looks!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I haven't read them all, but I can't imagine our friend Ciaphas losing his good looks.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Commissar chat: The Gaunt's Ghosts books aren't bad they're just boring.

Completely wrong, of course, GG rules. Alright, have a good one.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

God drat, Jonathan Keeble is truly exploring the many varieties of So Growly It Sounds Like You're Gargling Phlegm voice in Flight of the Eisenstein.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Fulgrim is delightful. There's more smut in this book than all the rest of the black library put together.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh, no haven't gotten around to that yet.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I have heard that you should read Watson if you want some real weird poo poo, but also his books look like they're straight out of the dumbest era of Star Wars extended universe stuff.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I mean it will have to compete with such things as the impostor of the three eyed son of Palpatine getting laser blasted by a robot Leia bride and so on, but I do believe stupidity is an infinite scale.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Everyone remembers the weird bits of SPACE MARINE but this has always been one of my favourite parts. The three main characters - a Spire-born brat, a Midspire worker, and an Underhive ganger have all been selected for recruitement into the Imperial Fists. After a set of physical, psychological, and psychic assessments, they're all asked one simple question.

Hm, yes. This fuckin rules.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Pray Him on Terra protect me. I am committed to completing the whole series and I have just hit play on Descent of Angels.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

There's one person in here who thinks it's just the best book ever (I won't name them but it's obvious from searching the title) and I will let that carry me. If anything, audiobooks are just as much a way to still my ADHD as a way to actually absorb things, so I can just let it play.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I would like the whole thing to be read by the guy who does the russian ogryn in Darktide.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Wait so Lion El'Johnson is named for the woods, so "johnson" means "wood", which is to say they made it even dumber

Fingat posted:

Im pretty sure thats Toby Longworth

Oh that owns. He needs to do it in that specific accent though.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

It felt a bit samey but I didn't really give it a proper try. Might just play through it on the easiest difficulty so I can watch necrons go clonk.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh dear Gareth Armstrong is doing a poorly restrained asian-voice for a white scar. That seems unnecessary.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I know that some people consider Salamanders the black chapter, but that either seems to stem from a misunderstanding or a desire to make them like that because it fits their own interpretation of the canon, which in turn can either be good for them if it's a personal thing or really weird if it's not.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Well that's the angels done. Nice thing about audiobooks is that they can be read in a day like you're the Tai Lopez of Warhammer, but less of a loving loser.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's pretty unfortunate, as is the general stereotypical asian acccents used for the white scars in general. It feels like a weird throwback, in a bad way.

FWIW it isn't just him, I'm pretty sure someone higher up made that decision. Doesn't make it easier to listen to though.

Yeah I guess it's just a document note that says "oh yeah these guys are Asian" and no one over there has any great reason to do anything about it.

Benagain posted:

I mean they straight up were for a while? This lore was invented by white british nerds in the 80s, which meant that when they imagined a group of superhumans with genetic augmentations including the ability to shift melanin through their skin to survive a staggering array of atmospheres the skin shades they imagined ranged from 'transparently pale' to 'something that might resemble a light tan if you squinted hard'

and then there were the black ones!

edit: sitting in a pub in shrup-on-shire-brook and trying to imagine how fierce the sun could get on a world with no atmosphere. Maybe you could see the sun!

That's fair. I know I've had the impression that they've been thought of as the black guys for two decades, so it obviously comes from somewhere.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

jesus reading Abnett after Descent of Angles feels straight up unfair

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Onto The Abyss. So far I think I like it more than Angels.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

This Brother Debate early in Abyss is so funny if your understanding of brothers is too online.

"The Emperor is brother to no one!"

That's right, the emperor can backyard wrassle with no one.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Yeah but it's fuckin dumb. I just sort of blank it out and replace it with something not-dumb when it comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I will change the universe to fit my whims, it is victim to me, not the other way around. Death to the false emperor (canon). Also the games have pretty much only showed them as beams.

Anyway here's a fun thing I like to do: who's your face casts for major characters? To me (add the prefix "very muscular" to any suggestion), Horus is Arnold Vosloo, Ferrus Manus is obviously Michael Shannon, my mind decided John Grammaticus is Bruce Campbell at some point and I can't shake the idea that the God Emperor of Mankind is John Hamm, no matter what I do.