Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah - I still haven't got through that book. I'm stuck on the Iron Warriors story. I liked the way the Lucius story started out - I thought McNeill did a good job of writing the scene of a debauched king and his court. I could just see something that looked like the palace at Versailles filled with nine-foot tall maniacs in power armor doing crazy things. The Pear of Anguish was completely unnecessary though.

Also, I'm going to be selling off my BL books, as I rarely read anything twice. What is the average going rate for gently used BL books in SA Mart?

That McNeil story pertaining to Lucius got me so mad, either Fulgrim got possessed or he loving didn't MAKE YOUR loving MIND UP (I honestly preferred that he did, no one knew what the gently caress about daemons and chaos around the HH, it isn't too far fetched that a primarch can fall to a eons old daemon slaved to a loving sword is it? especially when you've talked said primarch into killing his own brother?. The Iron hands novella (gently caress that name) I enjoyed Ferrus Manus being told of him coming demise by a farseer and warlock (or another farseer) was pretty cool.

I totally didn't get what mechafunkzilla got from the alpha legion story I had no idea from that story that omegon was all for the emperor and alpharious was not, shows what I know. I took it as the alpha legion cleaning house .

I recently purchased the new Ciaphas Cain novel and was surprised to find I actually enjoyed if only because the blurb tells you he is fighting an " ancient and implacable foe blah blah.. you've already written this, but was surprised to find out Mitchell wasn't talking 'bout those guys! You were talking about the other guys you've already written about!. It's still in the formulaic version of all Cain books but it's still a good read (You've alluded to Cain's time on a Dark Eldar Reiver ship, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WRITE THE THING.)

What did anyone think of Deliverance Lost?

Maybe they're referring to two separate instances of wars on armageddon? I haven't read the books you're referring to aside from Helsreach. So maybe that's it? It wouldn't surprise me to find that GW has tripped over their own fluff, and that the BT novels you've read are still canon.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

EyeRChris posted:

Speaking of the missing primarchs. I know there isn't much detail about them but it seems like in Heresy they seem to hint pretty strongly that one of them killed the other and Russ was forced to sanction the aggressor.

I think I got most of this impression from Prospero Burns.

That's a shady reference to the two missing legions, the 2nd and 11th there's little to no information about those two legions aside from mentions in conversations between primarchs in Prospero Burns, a Thousand Sons, and the First Heretic. :eng101:

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Evil_Urna posted:

Is this going to be a new trilogy?

Also the cover is totally badass:

Yes, it's going to be called the Bequin trilogy :getin:

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Arbite posted:

Yeah, and you still screwups like Magnus showing up on Terra after the Istvaan dropsite massacre.

You sure about that? I reread a thousand sons again recently and while my memory is pretty awful, I remember Magnus tries to reach Horus first while he is in the temple at davin being first seduced. Only a week or a handful of weeks go by before he reaches for the emperor. The Emperor set the wolves onto Magnus to bring him back to terra for a stern talking to primarily because magnus had caused irreparable damage to the human forged entrance to the webway wrecking one of a kind machines that not even the emperor himself would be able to fix, and allowing all the daemons in the vicinity a doorway right into the basement of the imperial palace. Human use of the webway was supposed to be the Emperor's crowning glory, even more so than the astronomican or the primarchs themselves. One thing I think got lost in the prospero burns/ a thousand sons saga was originally the Emperor sends the wolves, but it is Horus who convinces Russ that the sons are too dangerous to be left alive and that he should kill Mangus, Russ refuses to do it, until the sons start becoming possessed and mutating on the battlefield. That was in the collected visions artwork books that as well as having some amazing artwork, laid out the full heresy from start to finish.

That's not to say there aren't inconsistencies between the novels, they're pretty poor at continuity, and I don't think the black library bothers with proof readers either as every book has spelling errors, typos, words missing, and words repeated.

Hyperion cannot determine attractiveness of a human female as his previous life was mind wiped. He has no point of reference for feelings of attraction as he doesn't remember what it used to feel like. Whereas the other guy old and senile as he is will remember his life as a warrior on Fenris. Why can't I remember useful stuff, rather than being full of this rubbish. :eng99:

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

I just think they were smaller because Alpharius & Omegon are one primarch, so you get half the psychic potential, half the physicality etc. A rather simplistic idea but they are referred to in legion as one entity, the cabal addresses them as a primach, not primarchs.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

MisterFuzzles posted:

Edit - New Ciaphas Cain in January

Tau & Tyranids again?, when are we ever going to get the book about when Cain gets captured by the dark eldar? It's been mentioned in passing by cain in the other books like 3 or 4 times.

Just finished Fear to Tread and it's an odd one, the storyline itself should have had me scrambling to finish it but James Swallow's writing always leaves me :effort: . It does however have some amazing parts such as an entire planet gets possessed, the marines have to fight daemons made from concrete and rebar, oh and a giant snake that is literally a tube tunnel. They escape, start bombing the poo poo out of the planet, so the planet starts throwing mountains at them.

It was also mentioned earlier in the thread that there may be a continuity error with regards to the red thirst and black rage, but I don't think there is. Sanguinius realises the cat's out of the bag about the red thirst but also hopes his sons never find out about the "terrible blackness" (I'm paraphrasing, badly) lurking deeper within their genetics.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm about halfway through the first novella in Shadows of Treachery. It's quite readable! I think it's John French's first Black Library thing so that's encouraging.

Do yourself a favour, as soon as you're done with The crimson fist skip immediately to prince of crows. It's not that it's that the others are bad, it's just that prince of crows is so god drat good :swoon:. The Dark King is ok, but I don't know why McNeill was allowed to write a story dealing with t he night lords (as ADB is so good at it). The lightning tower is interesting, as is raven's flight (although it's seemingly just covering ground already trodden). I didn't like death of a silversmith as I didn't see the point of it at all, and I didn't read the kaban project. As I've read about Kaban from the collected visions art book, and mechanicum why does the same story need to be told for a third time?.

tl;dr: finish crimson fist, jump straight to prince of crows.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

The first three books are sequels to one another, the rest of the series is all over the place, so if you know the major plot points from the horus heresy you'll be fine. Legion is completely self contained as far as I can remember, as for a thousand sons it is twinned with prospero burns. I think PB came out first but it's the same story from either side, I'd read prospero burns first myself but I can't think of anything within the two books that makes one a sequel to the other.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

:words: Legion of the Damned :words:

You pretty nailed what my opinion of that book was, as for your last spoiler bit I wasn't so sure about the drop coffins, I felt that the LOTD were essentially everywhere/nowhere at once, the coffins were just some kind of tradition or artistic license from the author or some such (they had the date the marine died on it I think). They're ability to phase on the battlefield, and the scourge seeing one following him about (who was actually "there") led me to that conclusion but I can have the intelligence of an ork when it comes to "getting it" with some BL authors.

I was more interested in what ship the lotd had with them, if I recall the book says the defence monitor captain said it dwarfed the battleship class vessels in the chaos armada, I've never heard of anything bigger than a battleship before with the one or two exceptions (black stone fortess/phalanx), but then the book had a system defence force monitor manage to destroy several astartes strike cruisers, so who knows. Oh, the scrouge gladius/dornsblade switcheroo was also dumb as all hell.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 13, 2012

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Drythe posted:

Just finished Blood Reaver and it further reinforced my belief that ADB is the best author Black Library has. I enjoyed Soul Hunter more however because it just seemed to feel more epic and The part where Talos tells off Abaddon is one of my favourite scenes.

Go buy Void Stalker, quick!

Just finished Pariah in two days, sweet jesus how could anyone have anything negative to say about that book. I also picked up priests of mars by McNeil, The emperor's might (art book, lots of John Blanche and other early artists, depicting imperial architecture, and "agents of the imperium", rather poor); and the emperor's might (same again but much more marine/war focused, some wonderfully detailed glossy prints in it).

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

William Bear posted:

I finised Eisenhorn. I have something to ask. What books other than Eisenhorn give a good look at ordinary life in the Imperium? Is Ravenor all cloak and dagger or Gaunt all military action, or do we get civilian drama in there too?

Ravenor is much the same as Eisenhorn really undercover work in hives, with the odd alien cameos and a whole lot less daemonhosts. As already stated the Shira Calpurnia omnibus is about an arbites officer doing, basically police work in a hive. As for Angel of Fire, it was a OK book I guess, but my only gripe was we were told constantly how awesome Macharius is, how wonderful he was, how made you feel awesome and blah blah. You don't really read anything to back up this opinion we're supposed to have of him.

I've fallen so far behind as of late with books to read, as my local Blackwells has gone to poo poo with getting new black library stock in, betrayer, angel exterminatus, flesh of cretacia, the greater good; the list goes on :(

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

I thought we knew the fate of vulkan in Angel Exterminatus i think. it's mentioned that perturabo has a thing for building labyrinths and his masterpiece labyrinth currently had a prisoner/guest, and it hinted at it being vulkan.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

That Chris wraight scars ebook is showing up as £18 for some of you? Shows as £1.50 for me :iiam:. Maybe I'm just being a luddite but I would have preferred for the HH series to remain all paperback, instead of throwing in exclusive audio books, and now exclusive ebooks. I read paperbacks on the way to and from work, but I'm not going to listen to some terrible voice acting or buy a kindle/ipad just so I can get my spacemans fix.

edit: £22.00 for an audiobook of helsreach :psyduck:

edit: ohh, right yeah that makes sense. Jesus, guess they were worried people would pay the £18 in one go but £1.50 a week is a bargain :downs:

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 7, 2013

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Frankly posted:

I'm thinking of getting The Emperor's Gift by ADB and maybe Ahriman Exile by John French if they're any good?

Why ask if ADB has released anything recently when you haven't read one of his best in the Emperor's Gift? :colbert: It does seem as if Black Library's release schedule has ground to screeching halt though.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Blood of Asaheim is a good read as good as battle of the fang if not better. Wraight also goes to the trouble of making a few throwbacks in Asaheim to BotF the relic blade the wolf guard Bromm? uses is called dausvjer. It's the one Ingvar uses thousands of years later .

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

To be fair Abnett does stay somewhat consistent, Eisenhorn is low delta, Ravenor was high, but then being in the chair puts him up a class in psychic shenanigans. It's an alpha level psyker who controls several thousand people simultaneously during the thracian atrocity. I took the little part about an alpha plus psyker being able to destroy a planet as they're a massive lighthouse in the warp and more often than not let a powerful daemon through/rip a hole in the warp.

I also seem to remember, that either the cabal or the eldar described the Emperor as the most powerful psyker in the known galaxy not just humanity, he's the most powerful individual. I generally just write off differences in scale between authors and just something not important enough for the authors to ask each other or they can't be bothered to try and find out, which is fine with the amount of minutiae involved in writing a 40k novel. I go with whichever author's sense of scale I like the most.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

I too am really looking forward to Master of Mankind, but at the same time I'm not expecting any kind of explanation or theory into how he hosed up so badly. How can something that sure as hell is not human understand the flaws of humanity? The current status quo when it comes to the primarchs (at least in this thead) is that he couldn't wrap his head around humans after 40k years and was a terrible father.

If you sire'd 20 beings from your own genetic material and you were the most kickin' rad being in the universe you wouldn't expect them to be remotely human, you wouldn't expect them to have remotely human characteristics, virtues, or flaws. It's what makes chaos' plan so fantastically apt, it wasn't looking to try and separate the primarchs from the Emperor permanently. The plan was to separate them long enough to make the Primarchs human and all the associated flaws that go with it.

You've got primarchs who had an upbringing that left them practically identical to how they would have been, if they'd never been removed from the emperor's side. You've got primarchs who've seen the very worst of humanity, be it due to humans being colossal dicks or simply due to the environment the humans had to deal with (death worlds and the like). Then primarchs who saw the middle ground the worst and the best of humanity. In the end it's not their nature that was the downfall on the whole primarch lineage but the fact that they matured under the guidance of humanity.

If there's one constant in the HH series it's not "the big E is an idiot" or "horus was a spoilt child/arrogant dick" it's "you know what? gently caress humanity forever"

Even with that in mind it's not quite so easy to categorize how the primarchs turned out relative to their upbringing. You could say the loyalists had ideal upbringings (dorn, guilliman), but then so did the likes of fulgrim and magnus. You can say some of the traitors had terrible upbringings like angron/kurze but then so did corax/lion.

Although blame can be laid at the Emperor's door for the heresy, I'd say it was the fact that chaos scattered the primarchs across the galaxy and allowed humanity to get their filthy mitts on them that really kicked the whole thing off. The big E treated all of them with the presumption that they were exactly like him in psyche and pragmatism (they were genetically like him, why not psychologically?). He didn't expect humanity to rub off on them quite so much.

Maybe. gently caress if I know

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

If they get wind of it and he has made any kind of arbitrary sum of money out of their IP games workshop definitely send him a C&D. They've sent C&D's to plenty of other IP violating works across all mediums BEFORE they've even got off the ground, they may well sue him into the ground.
To a global company, however small it may be (an GW really isn't small) they will sue copyright infringement where someone else has made money off their IP severely, like values that will absolutely bury the guy. GW has simply sent out C&D's to various mod makers in the past because they haven't released a product yet, or even if they have they've released it is free so the copyright has been violated but not infringed. I would imagine a company that trades across europe, and the US, and beyond won't just have a few lawyers on retainer. They'll have a law team or a full law firm on the payroll scouring for exactly this kind of thing, they'll have a budget that they have to justify. Some poor bastard has made money off of our poo poo, cool let's crucify the guy, we haven't even made a dent in our budget yet this year; lets look like we actually need it (or the reverse, oh poo poo our budget's low getting cut, lets go after a company who has copied our copyrighted method of mould filling).

Struggling war veteran or not they will destroy you for doing it, you guys give a global company and their associated lawyers on staff/retainer far too much credit. I don't know about the US, but here in the UK "recovering PTSD war veteran infringes copyright of multi-national miniature model company and gets sued into oblivion and kills himself wouldn't even make the papers, let alone the national news, gently caress if it's a major city it wouldn't even make local.

Spoilers unremembered empire

Oh god you guys were right about Vulkan Lives, it's awful. The follow on Unremembered Empire was the first Abnett I really didn't like either, I had no issue with the style of writing really I can't fault Abnett for that ever (Thorn wishes aegis arising pattern ivory in ten :v: ). I felt the story he was given to write was too daft, that's partly gw's/producers/whoever the gently caress's fault and in a large part to Nick loving Kyme.

G-G-G-Ghosts! Gillyman having shock/trauma/stress over obliterating 10 marines in his personal chambers? (But, you say he's shocked his security was lax enough to let them, he was unarmed/unarmoured blah blah bullshit), but obliterating hundreds of word bearers in spaaace/on calth, seeing the image of his even traitor brother burst and turn into a hideous daemon, seeing one of his capital worlds raped and giving no fucks is the norm? But an assassination attempt? OH GOD I ALMOST DIED.

His chamberlain/surrogate mummy, his chapter master being a 1 dimensional ANGRY MARINE, Polux (after nearly kicking Peturabo's rear end) out of loving nowhere, the whole PHAROS MAGICAL ASTRONOMICON MAGUFFIN (oh yeah there's an iron warrior too). HERE COMES THE LION REMEMBER HIM? (although seeing someone actually do something with him other than making him an autistic sperg, who's trying to repeatedly "catch the pidgeon" was nice).

Motherfucking satan himself KONRAAAAD, jesus christ I can't stand him anymore he's a saturday morning cartoon villain with super magical fighting powers even though he's gently caress all next to the practically any other primarch (by previous books' own admission, and the night lord trilogy by ADB). Christ, the Lion's already ripped his throat out once; but guilliman and the lion can't rip the dude apart in a few minutes? (but oh yeah he can be everywhere at once somehow and can plant explosives he had to find, plant, and lure his targets to before he's even in the front door?, and can set the timers so that he can kill a chapter master have a good go at another, and then "stall" his two more powerful brothers till the grenades go boom? gently caress off).

And to go with BATMAAAAN Konrad, you have Vulkan, which Abnett had the poor misfortune of inheriting from Nick Kyme (he won't be getting another HH book hopefully). What do you do with a guy who's been made invincible? why make the poor bastard mad, dont need no dialogue to match kyme's god awful shite then! have him chase after his tormentor! But gently caress, we don't want him invincible how the hell do we get rid of him? JOHN MCCLANE GRAMMATICUS.

Vulkan was always sort of a mystery in what happened to him during the hersey, and why he was so awesome other than being another ferrus mk2 but nicer. Kyme making him invulnerable and his subsequent murdering by John by abnett makes me think GW gave Kyme free reign and got burned by it.

THE ARCH ANGEL GABRIEL OUT OF loving NOWHERE BOOSH

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

SRM posted:

How much Ultramarine-centric stuff is in it? I just know it's a short story collection, and those can be hit or miss. I'm almost done with Shadows of Treachery and really enjoying the ending novella, Prince of Crows. It's good to read more of ADB writing Night Lords.

Mark of Calth is a series of short stories about the war on calth, it's all ultramarines/word bearers. oh, and more about Oll too if I recall correctly.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

ADB tends to do that, use the same characters between different books even just in quick cameos. Chris Wraight also did it with two of his books, in battle of the fang one of the wolf lords (Brakk?) uses a frost blade called dausvjer. In his other space wolf book blood of asaheim, several thousand years later (battle of the fang is set in M34 i think, asaheim M41) the main character has a legion relic, a relic blade called dausvjer.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Fatty posted:

Doesn't the first Gaunts Ghosts book have a nasty inquisitor that also appears in Eisenhorn?

Yup, in eisenhorn you meet a young interrogator heldane, he gets horrifically mauled when going undercover with eisenhorn in the first book. Eisenhorn comes across him again as an inquisitor in the third book. Fast forward 200? Years and you meet inquisitor heldane in gaunt's ghosts.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

So I'm about half way through damnation of pythos and I'm wondering what the gently caress is the point of this book? Honestly there's space marines on a jungle planet there's some black monolith thing lots of beasties. The iron hands are still emo about Ferrus, and hate the salamanders and raven guard. That's it? . It sucks so far, like battle for the abyss levels of bad

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 9, 2014

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Is sorcerer out? Barnes and nobels says like jan 20

I picked up a copy from Waterstones last week along with Legacies of Betrayal :shrug:. I know I've picked up books from them before well in advance of Black Library's release date but YMMV.

I went onto BL's site to check when Legacies was released and was greeted by Battle of the Abyss unabridged audiobook, for £30? What!?.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Finished storm caller, and it's a good book. I'd read Blood of Asahem again though as stormcaller starts immediately after. Again Wraight's depictions of death guard own the mycetelyte's exchange with Baldr is great "I'm just so tired of it all, aren't you? 10,000 years and we're still killing each other" :smith: . The only gripe was he introduced a subplot in the first book, mentioned it a lot in the second book ( couldnt we have found out something about why the church killed hrotjur, even an inkling? ) then copped out in giving any kind of closure about so he can write another book.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

I'm hoping that in 25 years time when we get to read about the siege and the Emperor slaying Horus, that it's the big E or Malcador who tell the high lords of Terra to promote the lectitio divinatus. Realizing that there'll be no more supreme being leading the masses of humanity the next best control mechanism for the Imperium is blind faith and religion.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Has anyone read the space marine battles book Pandorax? Looks to be dark angels and grey knights taking on the black legion and Abaddon (at least from the cover art). Didn't pick it up as I didn't recognize the author C Z Dunn.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Having just finished Ahriman: Socererer I can safely say every self respecting (lol) warham should read exile then this because Jesus loving Christ it's one of the best black library books I've ever read. I'm about to start rereading it, because I'm not sure what the gently caress. I've never come across a warham novel that deals with fuckery within fuckery and time fuckery on top of said fuckery. Seriously Holy poo poo what a book.

edit: seriously that one book is the best poo poo BL has put out in a long time, it's really up there with abnett's and ADB's best stuff ever, John French is definitely now up there with those two.

Ahriman finding where the maguffin (the atheneum of Kallimakus, yep that rememberancer who writes down everything Magnus thinks). Then killing every living part of the planetary biome on the planet that houses it, except the human population allowing them to starve/die of thirst for years. Leaving several hundred rubricae on the surface allowing them to be covered in sand/dust for decades before he returns when he needs to assault the fortress housing the atheneum is the most :black101: 40k war story I have ever read .

That's not even touching on the wolves 13th company involved in the story too, the way they're written is fantastic too.

Seriously if you haven't started on the Ahriman series do so, right now I've never gushed about a BL book so hard before, it's that good.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 13, 2015

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Oh hell yes, took them long enough.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Oh hey, I just discovered they made a Horus Heresy game!

it's a clash of clans ripoff for iOS

Speaking of, is book 2 of Horus Heresy meant to be that corny and forced? It's almost as if they're trying to hammer home that Horus is being corrupted by Chaos and that causes the Horus Heresy. I'm surprised Magnus is trying so hard to stop it though, that's not something I expected at all from what I knew of him. Also is he actually physically red, or is that just a name?

He's physically red in every artistic depiction I've seen of him. The books do talk about his skin color but I forget how. But magnus can look however he wants is what I've taken from various books he is in.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Dance Marine posted:

Apart from Legion i would skip Vengeful Spirit and everything by Dan Abnett, James Swallow and Nick Kyme unless you have time to burn.

I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to say here, but it looks like you are telling him skip the Abnett HH books? :psyduck: him and ADB are the only saving graces of the entire HH series. McNeil is hit and miss

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Waroduce posted:

Ahriman Sourcer is really good guys

The Ahriman series is good

Read these books.

The wolves in it are fuckin sick, chasing Ahriman through the warp since Prospero

Can someon explain the ending though between the inquisitior and grey knight? I didnt get the whole renegade chapter thing. Are they talking about the wolves or like some renegaed 1k sons??

It took me a while after finishing it but the chapter they are going to destroy is the chapter astraeos and kadin are from. The daemon trapped in their chapter mate's body tells astraeos it's ahriman who is responsible for the death of his chapter, which is indirectly true. That's why astraeos meets the other 1k sons and says he's going to kill ahriman. Little does he know it's him who is responsible. When Astraeos gets captured by the inquisition, he's living in the past. That book owns as it's the first book i can think of that properly starts to portray the time fuckery of the warp. .

When I realised that :aaa:

Confirming the wolves in that book own.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 25, 2015

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

You mean the Skjall's perspective? Which guy do you mean?

I think he means Khayon's view on the wolves razing of prospero.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Abyss posted:

Just finished up Horus Rising and was going to go to Ciaphas Cain for some lighter reading before I went on to False Gods. While reading through the first 20 pages I realized I had purchased the final book in the Ciaphas Cain series instead of the first. Now the strict "must go from first to last book" attitude in me is causing me to shelve that book and get through False Gods for now.

The most recent Ciaphas Cain book being The Greater Good correct? You can just go ahead and read it if you want you wouldn't be spoiling anything for yourself. But if you can hold on, I'd pick up the omnibus first as the first books have more of an introductory feel to them. The omnibus also contains the short story detailing the tyranid invasion that catapults Cain to fame in the first place.

Edit: God drat the black library website is a mess, has there been any 40k releases since the vengeful spirit worth picking up?

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 5, 2015

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

SRM posted:

I loved these and the Imperial propaganda quotes between chapters. Cain gets really repetitive after a few books, but man those first few are fun.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
:v:

Just rereading the first omnibus now myself. As black library's release schedule has slowed to a glacial pace. Seriously, I think the last book I picked up was 3 months ago.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Khizan posted:

McNeill's Storm of Iron is actually pretty loving good. :black101: as all hell. It's no Night Lords or Eisenhorn, but I'd easily put it up there with Wraight's books which are basically nothing but well-written bolterporn.

It's easily the best thing he's ever written and the only book of his that I actually liked.

I agree completely, if you haven't already give his Mars trilogy a go(priests of Mars, lords of, gods of), as it is certainly a close second to storm of iron. It's certainly far ahead of his other multi part works (Uriel Ventris is the worst).

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Regicide is space chess, but yeah, there's at least one poker-type game mentioned played with the Emperor's Tarot IIRC.

There's references about card games in ravenor, the gaunts ghost series, maybe? some of the HH novels that focus on rememberancers, the caiphas Cain novels, and the priests of Mars trilogy. That said the only card game I remember actually getting a name was "knights and knaves". I'm sure there's a mention of another card game in lords of Mars but I can't remember it.

Merciful emperor black library's output has cratered completely, is there some dispute between the authors and BL? Or is BL just finally giving up on printed novels? I've picked up but not read the two books in the beast arises series, but honestly I just want the HH or gaunt or eisenhorn or even loving ventris, any of their established series to get a release.

I want to read about tiny plastic spacemen on paper :(.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

The first two Beast Arises books, Ahriman Unchanged, and Flesh Tearers are the ones I know of. Greataval said five but I don't know what the fifth one was

Ahriman unchanged came out in mid 2015. Either that or my local water stones REALLY jumped the gun on release :v:.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

No. Also, maybe yes.

I guess it doesn't count now but the space wolves chasing him were the remnants of the 13th company. The wolves were absolutely terrifying in that novel, just beat down grim as gently caress dudes that have been in the warp since the heresy. One of the cooler bits of that is when they encounter modern codex marines and how fast and organized they are, they're pretty much "Who the gently caress are these dudes?" and they're just some run of the mill marines. There are also grey knights and poo poo and it's just fun.

The first Ahriman novel was pretty good but French just knocked it out of the ballpark with the other two. The second was a bit hard to follow at times because of the time fuckery and the books (I think purposely) raise more questions than they answer but I love them.

100% agreed, I went in to the first book with low expectations but it was an excellent read. John French just got better and better with each book, I really enjoyed the crazy time fuckery in the second book and the assault on the conclave is just so 40k :black101:. And the third owned aswell, I'd really put that trilogy as some the best 40k stuff you could read, I've said as much before, but I think some other posters found it to be a bit meh. Across the three books it just manages to tick all the "40k" boxes.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

So there's actually been a flurry of releases recently like the last 2months or so. The emperor expects and the last wall in the beast arises series, and Pharos, the eye of terra, and war without end in the horus heresy series. Pharos is an actual continuation the other two are novella collections. I've yet to read the HH novels but am nearly done with the last wall the orks do reach terra .

Waroduce posted:

Is I am Slaughter worth it

Is any of that series worth it

I need a BL fix

I think so personally, the segments set in the imperial palace and the council of terra isn't something they've not really shed any light on before. It has a few "oh poo poo" moments in the series so far too.

rocket_Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

PantsOptional posted:

No, he's explicitly not a remembrancer, he's a conservator. There's a flashback early on where he has to navigate the political bureaucracy of the Administratum and he makes it clear that he wants the Conservatory to be a completely separate entity from the Remembrancer Order - in fact I'm pretty sure it operates independently of the Administratum as a whole.

I'm sure the author realises that a 10,000 year old space marine in a walking coffin would make such a distinction. He's referring to Hawser, unless you know of some other mortal who features heavily with Bjorn is previous novels