Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

I think the reason for that was that it would have gone against the tone relic was going for. Having the Orks sound like soccer hoodlums would have made every encounter with them comedic.

Not to suggest that the silly aspects of the Orks are bad.

Yeah but if anything them always saying spice marine all the time made them more silly and fakey, not less. Vs mixing it up a bit more. Them marine boyz sounds more like what a violent mob of (british) underclass criminals would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Azubah posted:

Are rogue traders the only somewhat not crazy, muderous xenophobic assholes in the setting?

They are still crazy assholes, and often murderous. Just their greed overrides the normal xenophobia. They're basically space Cortez

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AndyElusive posted:

Yup, I agree and it's pretty clearly the point. Some of the most likable characters in HH so far have been those who fell to Chaos thorough one means or another.

I think this is more a function of the better BL writers being in charge of those characters. The same reason people above made an exception for Guilliman once Abnett had a crack at rehabilitating his image.

Sanguinius is supposed to be the most compassionate and beloved by ordinary people but he's written by James Swallow so welp. Same with Vulkan and *shudder* nick kyme.

Dorn actually got a good treatment in that one short story, showing his sentimental side and how that connexts with his total loyalty

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

AndyElusive posted:

I think it's pretty cool getting to read about an A-Team of outcast Astartes, many of which were betrayed by their Legions because they remained loyal to the Emperor. The two audios and the short story are just team-building tales anyway, from what I understand (I've only listened to Garro).

It's a cool concept ruined by bad writers, like a lot of 40k books. I think they're supposed to be a sort of precursor to the inquisition/Greg knights/deathwatch.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Alfredo Pangea posted:

ALL the Primarchs had a reason to turn. Finding out your "dad" created you as a weapon to enforce a lie, shanghighed you into an unwinnable war after he finds you and threatens to kill the people who raised you after you were kidnapped due to illicit deals he made with entities that he denies exist even though they are a severe threat to you. Oh and if you have a god, STOP IT!

I don't think it works like that.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Baka-nin posted:

Yeah but can that really apply to Curze a man who was decapitated and lived the life of a deranged Batman?

For ADB my intro was Cadian Blood, its pretty good for a zombie Chaos infection story, and Helsreach was great so I second those recommendations.

Gods can die too

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Skarsnik posted:

What is the fluff reasoning for emp not being able to communicate psychically with someone anyway. Can't he flash the astronomican in morse code even?

He does communicate, though the Emperor's Tarot.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I remember reading that story, but I don't remember the forced sodomy. How was it written?

Poorly

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Yay weeping blades, Jazzails, ratling guns, Dwarf Gouger and the Fellblade.

Oh, you fight the Skaven. Boring.

Left 4 Dead had a versus mode where you play the zombies

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hunterhr posted:

Ah yes let's try to trademark Imperial Guard, a term in common usage for no poo poo centuries at least.

Trademarks do not work that way, lots of trademarks are for otherwise ordinary words

Sent from my Apple

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 17, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Libluini posted:

Me too! I was like "Wow, women are writing WH40K-books, how cool!" Then I was severely disappointed. :argh:

Sarah Cawkwell has a couple full-length novels out. They're not really that special but not awful eitehr.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

Well, considering 40K is not a regiment-based game, I would imagine it would be next to impossible to convert that system to the Total War engine.

Have you forgotten Epic 40k? Though honestly the Epic 40k system is good enough that it could work as a turn base with minor modifications

Also Final Liberation was good

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

How dare you insult me like that? Of course I haven't forgotten Epic! (Those are my Orks, and I play quite often.)

What I meant was that WFB has squared up regiments using standard rank and file movements. Epic wouldn't work in that environment - it's a completely different style of play.

There is a new Epic game though: Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon. It's a hex-based system built on the Panzer Corps engine. The look really reminds me of Final Liberation, but I haven't wanted to drop $40 on it - seems a bit high to me.

There is a thread. I want to play it, but I just can't find the time to do the stuff I want to do now, let alone try to squeeze something else in there too.

Yrah that Panzer corp Armageddon game is nowherr near as good as Final Liberation IMO. It feels pretty much like an oversimplified tablet game.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Azubah posted:

The Space Marine game tried to touch on how sticking to the Codex completely didn't make you a good soldier.

I've always imagined the Codex to be some combination of The Art of War, The Book of Five Rings, Clausewitz's On War, and The Evolution of Operational Art. Which is to say, it starts very general before going to suggestions, and massively open to interpretation.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PantsOptional posted:

The greatest crime of not having a sequel was that you didn't get to beat Leandros within an inch of his life in a lovely QTE.

I think it would be great if he just says "you did the right thing" and is totally chill about it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zephyrine posted:

Oh and what was the deal with the bolt pistol + bolter and storm bolter being so plain bad in that game? I don't want to play around with fancy pew pew weapons. I wanted to just use plain ol bolters but they were just so bad.

video games.

Though yeah I do wish the bolter was more like the AK in Left 4 Dead. One hit kills on body shots for basic mooks. Maybe two hits later on since boyz are tough.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

It doesn't. That's just a GW thing, trying to suck as many dollars from the consumer as possible. The industry standard is that the ebook costs 50% of the paperback print version.

On a related note, I was talking with a new guy in our gaming group who used to work with GW Canada. He said that the company has absolutely no concept of money at all or how a business is supposed to run - they would fly the staff of the Canada HQ down to Glen Burnie for a full week for a half-hour presentation, then wine and dine them for the remainder of the week on the company dime.

This, my friends, is where your GW money goes.

Lol that's actually how every business is run.

Job one as a middle manager/jr. executive anywhere is pissing away company money on dumbass poo poo like retreats, expensed meals, and first-class tickets.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Voyager I posted:

So far it's been highly effective in making me not buy books I have an active interest in reading, so I hope they're really harpooning those whales.

Are there any alternative outlets or secondhand stores that are likely to carry GW stuff at prices below their online store or B&N, assuming I can bear the shame of buying their stuff in person?

Amazon.

They're just books, dude. Pulp paperbacks are $10, hardcovers around $20 just like every other book.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 30, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
In Horus Heresy, every character who doesn't have a named model dies horribly

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Zephyrine posted:

So with all these detailed void wars in the books I'm surprised that they haven't been added to the board games yet. Like a parallel map where each sides ships can fight each other for positions to offer various support roles to the ground armies like orbital bombardments.

Roll a 2 or more for successful transition into the warp

You rolled a 1. Gamma field breach. Your space marines went insane and ate the human crew.

Also in case it wasn't mentioned already, Battlefleet Gothic, which actually had decent rules

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jonad posted:

The Black Library: All of the embarrassment of anime, for only 3/4ths the price!

Heresy and pre-heresy gives BL the opportunity to tell a grand, universe-spanning story, which it can't normally do because for game reasons the universe circa 40k has to remain static.

I'd rather people think I'm a 13 year old metal dork than a child molester, so 40k still wins over animes

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wax Dynasty posted:

In a universe where primarchs can survive point blank nova cannon blasts from a titan, getting almost capped by a couple of space marines with bolters makes Guilliman look weak not badass.

Well, he thinks he was almost capped. If he is in fact unkillable without warp magic he wouldn't even realize it, he'd just assume he was wounded but got lucky every time since he survives every time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deptfordx posted:

Coming in November "Chessburn". The Sigilite and Rogal Dorn play a game of Regicide that will change the course of the Heresy forever!

So a tie-in with the upcoming video game?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Pariah was very good. I also enjoyed Fire Caste, though you can tell it's a new author.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arcsquad12 posted:

Been watching Sharpe, and more and more I notice just how much of an impact it had on Gaunt's Ghosts. Obadiah and Lijah Cuu are pretty much the same character for a start.

Read the books, those TV movies are terrible in comparison

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's a pretty lofty claim considering the only film that can top sharpe for portrayals of napoleonic warfare is waterloo. The series is still good on its budget.

The claim is that the books are better than the tv show. Their tiny budget forces them to shrink the scope of the series in a way which makes it suffer compared to the book. And then sometimes they just made silly changes to simplify things or for drama or whatever.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Azran posted:

Between Space Marines and Sigmarines fighting the unwashed non-human hordes, GW seems to be getting a little Stormfront-y.

Getting? You just started noticing this?

The KKK hoods, calling orks greenskins, the peaked caps and black leather trenchcoats, etc.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 18, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are you talking about? Who wears hoods?

Orks aren't human. You can't be racist against something that is a giant fungus.

GW has precisely one character-type dressed like that, and their sole purpose is to ensure that IG will get up an run into a firefight instead of hiding.

Yes, the fictional Imperium of 40K is a horrible, vile place, but you're really stretching here by accusing the setting of being a clever front for white supremacists and naziism.

Redemptionist fanatics wear pointy hoods and carry torches

The whole Imperium is a mashup of all the iconic bad things from human history - Nazis, the Soviets, the Spanish Inquisition, every pseudo-historical stereotype about the Dark Ages, the old-school British empire, etc. That's the joke.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SRM posted:

Yeah, these are all fair criticisms of the book. I know Carl from the Independent Characters didn't like it since it didn't really feature the actual Alpha Legion much at all, so I knew that going in and was prepared for that. If I was expecting the Alpha Legion being all over the book, I would've been disappointed. If it was just called Secrets and Lies I don't think people would be as pissed.

They should have titled the book Alpha

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Angry Lobster posted:

Doombreed. I think it's never explicitly mentioned as Gengis, just that he was a bloodthirsty warlord in the middle ages who conquered cities every day and killed millions, so yeah, Genghis is a pretty safe bet.

it might be atilla, genghis sounds more like the emperor in disguise

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I still laugh thinking about Dan Abnett's spectacularly ill-conceived idea to have one of his characters be Martin Luther King, Jr.'s assassin.

Dunno, the X-Files did it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kylaer posted:

This could be interesting to read if you develop the various characters the protagonist is trying to strike a balance between. To be properly Tzeenchian, though, the outcomes on the protagonist's plans should always be some shade of horrible - to be true to the setting, Chaos must always be malignant, always a force of destruction, and Tzeench in particular loves smashing the dreams of his followers.

Well if history is any guide, most revolutions do not end well.

40k is Space Fantasy, and fantasy itself is basically historical fiction without the history. So I'd pick a few turn of the century revolutionary shitshows as a model. Take your pick, there's tons - Khmer Rouge, Salvadorean Civil War, etc. Bonus points if the CIA (Inquisition) shows up to make things worse.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Deptfordx posted:

Not Total War. You need to give the boys at Eugen a call and use their Wargame Engine to create a Epic/Apocalpyse scale game.

Their publisher Focus does 40k properties anyway...

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Problem with that is they're basically murder in a can. You just drop one onto a planet, pop the stasis lock and watch things die.

Yeah but sometimes theyre just kept sedated with like soothing hymns and poo poo pumped into their brains, or is that arcoflagellants i forget

Anyway the twist is that the entire zen thing is in his head and occurred in super-speed before being released

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

No, the backstory is more
GW: : "Here is a drawing, we are making models for it, write us a book"
DA: "Can I create my own character instead? I have this idea..."
GW: "No"
"I mean the drawing literally has a lightsabre here, maybe I should..."
GW: "No, get typing monkey boy"
DA: "Oh, OKAY then"
*writes story where character starts out with all the stuff the drawing has, has him get his poo poo wrecked and lose all of it, ends as the completely different character the author wanted to create*
GW: "... gently caress you Dan"

It's actually the other way around though, the pic of him with the skull stick and leg braces was an early piece of concept art but the character doesn't get that stuff until the end of the trilogy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Who's to say there's anything actually non-mundane about the cards the psykers use anyways? Maybe they muck about with reality and generate messages from the Emperor by loving local reality or whatever.

Also IRL the tarot decks were developed from regular playing cards, so why not in 40k too?

Or it's just a slang term and the magic crystal tarot is not actually the same thing as the card game nicknamed the emperor's tarot. Just like a church key is not literally a church key, or 'wetting the baby's head' is not literally a baptism.