Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH
Lovely OP, but I really think that, outdated as they may be, mention should be made of Ian Watson's work.
As much as I like Dan Abnett, Ian Watson's "Space Marine" is the only one I'd recommend on it's own deranged merits as a novel beyond genre fiction, the only BL Book that I would recommend to someone who had no idea about 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

handbanana125 posted:

It was off-handedly mentioned as a possibility off in some unknown area of space during the HH if I recall correctly. Something about this Ork empire that'd been at war so long that xenologists surmised the head Orks would be the size of battle titans. Don't think they ever showed Orks that big but they did have one choke out the Emperor.

I remember a mention of giant orks in Brothers of the Snake, one of the stories concerns a battle group trying to hold back an Ork force.

quote:

Priad knew just by looking that some of those weapons would have been a true test for even him to lift, but in the ghastly, oversized fists of the swineguard they seemed like toys

Some mild googling shows that, at a conservative estimate, Space Marines are 8 feet tall in armour, maybe as much as 10 feet. The models show a heavy bolter, when stood on end, is about 2 thirds as tall as an armoured marine. The implication is that the ones in the quote are considerably larger, between 7 and 9 feet long, so the idea that the Orks are holding them like hand guns paints a pretty impressive picture.

67 and still making love fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 3, 2012

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Trast posted:

Isn't the story behind this cover that it was some sort of stock WH40k image that Abnett saw and a character started forming in his mind right away? It's got a lot of visual elements that are important in the book.

I'm pretty sure it's this one.

A nice idea, seeing the end result of the long and vicious life an inquisitor and simply winding back the tape. Aside from the various props, I can see why the smile-ectomy played a large part.