Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I quite liked Baneblade, for what it's worth; the tank setting was a bit different to most Guard war stories, and the resolution to the B-plot was very, very 40k.

All through the book the protagonist is worried that his life is ruined and he'll be in serious trouble because he ran away to join the Guard after killing someone in an illegal duel. At the end his secret is revealed, and his superior officer just tells him to man the gently caress up and accept he's probably serving alongside people who have done worse.

What was far better though was Know No Fear, it was so overblown and fun and made me want to go out and start painting Ultramarines. Guilliman was a total badass, there were quality putdowns and one-liners, and Space Marines actually seemed like over the top heroes. I should read Betrayer next, right? I did read Battle for the Abyss too to see how bad it was and was astounded at how it constantly outdid itself. Especially when the Thousand Son uses psychic powers to kill the demons, then when challenged just says he blew up a fuel line in the most unconvincing excuse ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Hugo's long digressions are miles better than long digressions that fantasy and sci-fi authors put in to try and ape that sort of book, mostly because they're entertainingly written and about weird or cool historical things that teach you stuff, rather than a really long retelling of the author's D&D campaign about wizards that don't exist.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
I remember all the Imperial Guard regiment novels blurring together except the Tallarn one because of the twist ending and 15 Hours because it was a bit better than most.

Wasn't one of them about some Guardsmen using a Hades Drill tank to break through a massive wall of Chaos Ice that was sealing somewhere off? You could tell the ice was chaotic because it refroze too quickly I think.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well I've been reading Maledictions and so far I'd rate it one of the better Black Library books I've read of late. It's not exactly breaking new ground in SF or fantasy horror but there are some nice twists on 40k lore. It also has an Age of Sigmar story featuring fantasy samurai, which I completely wasn't expecting.

All in all if you want some stories with lower stakes than the usual big battle 40k/Fantasy stuff I'd try it, and it certainly gives me a bit of hope for the Warhammer Horror line as a chance for slightly different stuff to the norm, particularly in short stories.

I also read Shadespire - The Mirrored City by Josh Reynolds and quite liked that, too. Not particularly challenging to expectations and quite transparently trying to get game concepts and units in as much as possible, but pleasantly weird and seemed to refer indirectly to a bit of really old Warhammer Fantasy Chaos lore, Zuvassin.

I'd be quite happy if the group of heroes from it, a bunch of Freeguild soldiers including a battle wizard, Free Company mercenary and handgunner, turned up in miniature form at some point.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006

Kylaer posted:

A question prompted by my :brainworms: : what exactly are volkite weapons and what battlefield role do they play? I know the real-world reason for their existence (cool kits/upgrades to be sold by Forgeworld) but in the fiction, what's their deal? The other broad classes of human weaponry (traditional guns, cannons and missiles, bolters, flamers, meltas, plasma, and las weapons at all their various scales) I can visualize, but I draw a blank when these get mentioned.

My understanding is they're kind of lightning guns/old school sci-fi movie deathray affairs, their gimmick on the tabletop was they had the potential to do extra hits per shot to represent energy arcing from one target to the next.