Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why can't humans or Orks access the Webway? Why do the Eldar have exclusive access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah, I know of that, but why couldn't they access it like the Eldar do? Why did they need to build that gateway on Terra? Why can't humans access the existing gates the Old Ones built?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Then the only obstacle is lack of information. All they need to do is torture or bribe some Eldar into giving up his maps.

Surely the Eldar must have taken additional measures to keep other races out of the Webway for the past 10,000 years.

The Necrons use the Webway now, apparently (didn't they use some sort of phase-technology before?).

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 21, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I get the impression that this hasn't been addressed in the fluff yet. I'm surprised, because it's a pretty important plot point.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So they're very serious about protecting information. It's still just a matter of information. 10,000 years is plenty of time for the Inquisition or the Mechanicum to crack the Eldar's veil of secrecy (then again, this is hardly the only absurdity in W40K, so maybe I'm nitpicky).

Maybe they could say that Webway gates are designed to only respond to Eldar commands. Maybe there's something about the Eldar mind or soul that humans simply cannot replicate. If a human psyker tried to open one he would fail because it just doesn't work for humans.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Humans don't know it exists, lack the technology to enter it, wouldn't be able to navigate it, and would be hunted down and destroyed if they somehow made their way in. Plus, the entirety of the webway exists in between real space and the warp; it's not just a matter of finding a hidden door somewhere. Even the Emperor, the greatest scientist and psyker in the history of the galaxy, struggled to unlock its secrets. And it's not like the Eldar created the webway, it was an invention of the Old Ones. The Eldar are just the only ones with the technology, knowledge, and psychic ability to access it.

It's also fairly reasonable to assume that if the mechanicum was getting close to being able to reliably access the webway, that research would be be wiped out considering farseers can literally predict and alter the future.

So how does the Imperium figure the Eldar move around? All they'd have to do is capture an Eldar outcast with a grudge against his people or who is so utterly selfish (every society has these types) that he would sell out his people in exchange for riches.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 22, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
A question about Blanks: Blanks are repulsive to other humans, especially psykers, but what about each other? Can Blanks tolerate each other's presence? The Emperor once had a paramilitary force called the Sisters of Silence - if these blanks were able to form a group they must have been able to bond emotionally with each other.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
As in comrades-in-arms. Soldiers need to bond with each other in order to form a cooperative group that can handle the rigors of war.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Aziraphale posted:

How is 40K a Dune rip off?

The God-Emperor (sequel book), the Navigators, and the ban on AI.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I don't get why the writers copied the AI ban. Why would AIs be incompatible with the Imperium of Man's themes?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Dark, dark, darkety-dark.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I know what the fluff says, but what purpose did the writers have in mind to establish that in the first place? Why did they decide that EDIs and HAL 9000s were unsuitable for their particular vision of the 41st millennium? It was just so that they could use servitors?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Makes you wonder who the hecked programmed "Crush Kill Destroy Swag" into their OS in the first place.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Aziraphale posted:

Open source most likely.

And what exactly is the machine spirit? I always thought it was the dumbed down mechanicum not fully understanding their own technology anymore, so they devolved back into believing in something like god of machines.
The tech-priests think every machine, from a vibrator to a titan walker, is a living thing inhabited by a spirit. This spirit must be appeased through proper rites, otherwise it will become stubborn or irritated and thus malfunction. A rite is just as likely to involve prayers and incense as lubricants and screwdrivers. Every machine spirit is a child of the Machine God, the source of all technological knowledge.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I read some tech-priests also replace parts of their brains with electronics, becoming living computers themselves comparable to any AI you see in sci-fi.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
How many astropaths does the Imperium have (per planet, per ship, etc)? From what I've pieced together, they don't have very many, so they can't handle the bulk of Imperial communications. Is the rest handled by messenger ships?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do the people who come into regular contact with psykers and depend on their services treat them a little better? I can't imagine how a rogue trader is going to get any business done if his navigator has locked himself in a closet devouring a bucket of ice cream because of some careless witch joke he made.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The astropaths need to unionize, then, like the Navigators did. A little tricky since they don't have family networks, but they can communicate with each other at will.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 25, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Could the Gods of Chaos be somehow blamed for humanity's state? It seems odd that all humanity has languished in superstition and ignorance for 10,000 years. 10,000 years ago, we were banging rocks together and barking at the moon. Or maybe humanity really is nothing without the Emperor's active influence. My guess is that humanity's original rise, before the Age of Strife, was the result of the Emperor's influence. He went around encouraging rationalism, science, and progressive social movements, perhaps occasionally posing as a famous historical luminary. After the Horus Heresy, his influence ended and humanity regressed to its natural barbaric state.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 25, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Nephilm posted:

There's this thing called the Age of Strife. You should read up on it.
Which ended 10,000 years ago. Why hasn't humanity picked itself up?

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 25, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I noticed the opening blurb in the 40K books states that the Emperor rules over humanity "by the will of the gods". Is this a Rogue Trader leftover? Because the Emperor is supposed to be the one and only god, who will himself onto the throne.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Yeah, I figured as much, but it seems strange because there really are no other benevolent gods for humanity to worship.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Evil_Urna posted:

You can't go wrong with Ciphas Cain to be honest. If you want a really well written story go for 15 hours. It is really short but it is strikingly good for Warhammer.
So Warhammer books generally suck?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Does the Imperium use messenger ships to handle the bulk of its communications? From what I understand, astropaths are too few and too inefficient to handle it all. Who gets to use astropaths anyway? What priority is given?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'd imagine that when a ship arrives in orbit around a planet, it begins transmitting archived emails that people from other worlds paid it to deliver.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

jadebullet posted:

Ugh, I hate when people go and do this. There is nothing worse than someone saying that 40K is a ripoff of Starcraft.
Ripping-off is often a two-way street for ongoing works of fiction. World of Warcraft was inspired by Dungeons and Dragons, but the latest edition of D&D has borrowed the mechanics of WoW. W40K will soon be pinching ideas from Starcraft. Also, originality is a little overrated.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jul 31, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In Nemesis, the Black Pariah known as Spear is bound to a daemon. How is this possible? If pariahs block out the Warp, how could a sorcerer have worked his powers on Spear?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Evil_Urna posted:

Is this going to be a new trilogy?

Also the cover is totally badass:

In all of W40K this is the only good cover I've seen. Something that isn't a Space Marine shooting at something.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Evil_Urna posted:

Would not be GW unless the fluff contradicts.
I read somewhere that the unpredictable nature of the Warp (time distortion and transformation) was specifically thought up to handwave contradictions brought by sloppy editing. Like if an editor suddenly realizes that he accidentally placed the same character on two planets at the same chronological time, he can just say the character accidentally time-travelled on his way there.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 31, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do Space Marines ever take off their armor? Is there a painting of a Space Marine just chilling in a bath robe or something?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The Imperium is said to be a very oppressive regime, but the fluff says that the Imperium often exerts very little control over the internal politics of its worlds. As long as a planet worships the Emperor, shuns xenos, and pays its tithes, the Imperium lets it handle its affairs as it pleases. By this alone, there is no reason a vibrant democracy couldn't develop on one of its worlds. If all the Imperium is grimdark and that plenty of planets want to rebel, then there must be more to it. What does the Imperium do to planets to keeps them stagnant and oppressive?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

berzerkmonkey posted:

"Vacation? Sorry. The Minervan 15th needs 4000 Leman Russes immediately to fight insurgents in the Scarus Sector. You'll be pulling double shifts for the next three years."
What happens when the workers try to unionize?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

The Orks regard it as Heaven.
The Orks are truly the pinnacle of evolution.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Navigators only marry each other because a union between a navigator and a regular human destroys the navigator gene somehow. Some texts have described this as "recessiveness", but that isn't really correct because recessive genes do not get destroyed but simply lurk. Is there a proper scientific term to describe a trait or combination of traits that are permanently lost through cross-breeding?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
W40K gets grimdark to such an extreme that it sometimes cannot be taken seriously, and you thus need to create a race that thoroughly revels in the slaughter and is funny doing it.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Games Workshop is doing the Horus Heresy now, but are there plans in the future to do the collapse of the Imperium in the 42nd millenium?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
When the Emperor began his Great Crusade, how did his ships navigate the Warp if he wasn't on Terra to project the Astronomican?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Why did the Emperor even need the Space Marines? He sounds so powerful that he could have appeared on any planet, wiggled his nose and made all of his enemies' heads explode.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Are there any rough statistics for the number of psykers in the Imperium? What fraction of the population is psychic? What fraction of these psykers go on to become sanctioned psykers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Trast posted:

Have they said this is their goal? Because that is a drastic change from the normal grim dark. They would have to go whole hog on it or it wouldn't work. I mean the impression I've got so far is that if the Emperor was to be reborn he'd be pretty pissed off at the religious fanaticism of humanity given he wanted humanity to be grounded in reason and science. And some of the most fanatically loyal segments of the military might actually become enemies in not wanting to give up the power the cult of personality gave them. A second major civil war setting?
Given the theme of Warhammer, whatever happens in the 42nd millenium will be grimdark too. Whether he reincarnates or dies, there will a new Age of Strife.