Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am about a third of the way through the 3rd Eisenhorn book after having no previous exposure to the universe. Are any of the PC games worth playing? Finally, how are Warhammer and Warhammer 40k related? Is one the past/future of the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Does anybody have the forum quote about how dark and metal traveling through the warp is? I remember a long time ago somebody posted a great, hyperbolic description of it and I can't find it. I asked for it in the PYF thread and nobody came through.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

That's it, thanks! Using this to get a friend into the black library. He's a metal head so it's right up his alley.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am pretty new to 40k. I have finished the Eisenhorn omnibus, the first 2-3 Gaunt's Ghosts, and am halfway through the Ravenor omnibus. I really like the lore. Are there any halfway decent books set on Terra or that give a good view of the high lords of Terra and how the Imperium functions at the highest levels?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

It was good but gently caress man the whole ending I still find super underwhelming like come the gently caress on I know we spoke about it before but the hand crafted gene step brothers of the emperor forgot or never found out about a tunnel that leads right up his rear end in a top hat after spending 10000 years defending the same place..... smh

There was no direct tunnel. The Xenos used warp sorcery to bore a 200m long tunnel through the palace wall itself. They were on the very bottom levels upon which the palace was built. It wasn't guarded because nobody thought a Xenos could get to the Inner Palace wall and magic up a 200m tunnel through the best adamantium the imperium could make and then somehow make it all the way to the emperor's vicinity.

Not only that but the Xenos was purposefully brought to Earth to come see the throne and hopefully tell them how to fix it. Allegedly, even 1 to 3 of the high lords of terra were involved. They speculate on it in the last third of the book, and then at the very end it tells him there were (3) conspirators just before the Custodes kills it.

The person running the actual operations of the plan was an inquisitor herself, and even went so far and had the power to fabricate a highly respected and awarded Inquisitor who lived and worked in the highest ranks of the palace. Everybody had heard of this Inquisitor and his deeds and nobody had any idea he didn't exist. It really gives you an idea of the sheer scale of the palace and its occupants, that a famous person can be fabricated whole cloth and everybody just assumes they hadn't met in the vastness if the palace-continent yet.

So let's not forget that despite the presence of a peasant army, two inquisitors and their teams (one with 200 stormtroopers), a dark eldar, and 60 horrifically grotesque mutant versions of The Hulk the Custodes loving slaughtered the gently caress out of everything once they joined the defense and took no casualties themselves and there were only a few of them, like 6-8 at the most.

What isn't clear is how the Xenos would have been brought to the throne if it had not escaped. I don't think what happened was even close to their plan, but clearly it would have had to be done in secrecy since none of the conspirators were Custodes.

That being said, part of me wonders if the main Custodes character was actually the 3rd conspirator (the other two are rumoured to be the head of chartists and the Mars dude who ruled the giant Mars fortress the Xenos was brought in through.) And he had a change of heart (or didn't but still had to get rid of the Xenos once it escaped.) After all, the conspirators thought they were saving the emperor's and all of mankind's lives by doing whatever it took to fix his throne. A few of the main Custodes remarks and actions strongly hint there is something we don't know about his involvement. This doesn't fit other things though so it probably isn't true.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Thank you for the cool and good post

I just finished Carrion Throne a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I only started getting into 40k a few months ago and I am loving it so far. It is just such a cool universe. So far I have read Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, first two Gaunt's Ghosts, Titanicus, Brothers of the Iron Snake, and now Carrion Throne. Just started Horus Rising. I love the lore so getting to see Terra, and especially the palace, up close is awesome.

Any other good books set on Terra? Any other good Inquisitor stories? Also, what is the best book that deals with Orks and/or a WAAAAGH! I would like to read something about them because I havent yet.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Immanentized posted:

See if you can find a reprint of Draco, or the original Inquisitor novel. That's some good, old 40k on Terra.

What is the title/author of the original inquisitor novel? I may or may not have obtained most of the BL through unsanctioned means so finding stuff shouldn't be too hard...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Need some advice. I have read Horus Rising, False Gods, and now am almost finished with Galaxy in Flames. I am not sure what I should read next.

The Wikipedia page for the Horus Heresy series has a giant complicated image showing a ton of different branching paths based on avoiding spoilers. It is incomprehensible and I am also not interested in reading every single HH book. I have avoided reading any synopsis of the books so I am lost as to what I should skip and what I should read.

Am I correct that Master of Mankind covers the battle of Terra and the final confrontation between Horus and the Emperor? I have read these first three books over the last 4 days so I am eager to get to that story and I don't want to break my momentum, but I also don't want to miss any must reads. I don't mind reading MoM and then going back for others, I mean the spoilers can't be that bad considering I already know how it all turns out anyway.

So should I keep my momentum and read MoM then go back and read a few of the good ones or are there any books I absolutely have to read before MoM?

Edit: I am interested in the Mechanicum part of the Heresy, but I believe I can read those after I finish MoM right?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 2, 2017

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Are you facing some kind of terminal life ending or something? Why not just have a bit of patience and take it slowly

I've never understood wanting to rush through a series like the HH, reading should be relaxing, it's not like binging on a netflix series

Just miss out the ones that are clearly filler and go by the numbers, MoM is way down the line

Eh, I am a fast reader. I typically average 1-2 novels a week and have had a lot of free time the past few days. Plus I am just really enjoying this so far. I only started getting into Warhammer a few months ago and it has quickly become one of my favorite settings.

hopterque posted:

You can totally just read them all in the published order. There's a couple big stinkers but overall the quality of the series is pretty good, and almost every book is worth reading for some reason or another imo.

e: Also master of mankind doesn't cover the final battle or anything even close to it.

If you really don't want to read all of the main series books (which is understandable) make sure you read everything by Abnett and Aaron Dembski-Bowden, at the very least, along with Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns, probably the white scars books, and while Flight of the Eisenstein isn't my favorite but it's SUPER important as Garro is one of the more important characters in the series and it covers a very important event. I'd also recommend Fear To Tread, as it covers one of the biggest moments of the Horus Heresy (The wounding of Sanguinius and the near fall of the Blood Angels).

I don't really even understand which ones are the main series. I have been looking at this map and can't make heads or tails of it:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/47/English_Horus_heresy_spoiler_free_tree.jpg

Is there a better one out there? If I could just get a list of the order of the main series books I would just follow it. After thinking about it some more I will probably just read most of the HH books and just take breaks and read something else every 3-4 books so I don't burn out. That is what I have been doing with the 40k books. There is just so drat many it is daunting even for someone that reads as much as me. It"s also really nice though considering I have read almost all the notable sci-fi and/or fantasy series out at this point and am starting to read Kindle Unlimited pulp.

Also, I am pissed they are a decade+ and 40+ books in and haven't even gotten to the final battle. This is going to be some GRRM poo poo isn't it? GW is probably making way to much money off HH to ever actually "end" it.

Finally, are there any books set before the Horus Heresy? I don't mean right before, I mean like Unification Wars/Start of the Great Crusade? Especially anything that deals with the Emperor, I am really interested in him and the closest I have gotten to reading directly about him is when Horus goes back to the gene-lab with Erebus, and when Erasmus sees the glow of the throne from underneath it at the end of Carrion Throne.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

hopterque posted:

I don't know what the idea of this stupid spoiler free thing is, but the published order of novels is literally right below it on the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horus_Heresy_(novels)#Published

Yeah I saw that but from what I can tell the published order isn't necessarily the order of events timeline wise. Like there are different story arcs within the larger HH arc. For example, (making up numbers) the first book in a particular Primarch's arc may be book 5 and the next book in that particular arc may be book 14.

That complicated chart is attempting to order the books by their particular story arc and not by the published arc. The Mechanicum story arc in the bottom left is a good example of what I am talking about.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Dog_Meat posted:

I started to and got about 30 books in, but I got hosed off with the filler, anthologies and key storylines being audio-book only (I refuse to purchase an audio book). Then my copy of Angel Exterminatus came in a stupid oversized format and I just gave up. I brought MoM on the Kindle because ADB rarely misses, but I've given up on the series until this thread says "OMG we're at earth and it was awesome!".

I have no idea what happened to Loken, no idea what Garro is doing, what's going on with the proto-inquisistion and honestly don't care. My obsessive need to have the entire series got cured by GW's cynical milking of their cash cow.

I love the smaller, well written arcs like First Heretic/Know No Fear/Betrayer and Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns and thanks to this thread can still kind of keep up with what I want without having to sit through any more Eversor family drama or primarch anal plugs. I can't blame someone new to the setting for wanting a recommended path to weed out the crap.

(also, £10 per book on the Kindle? Nope)

This is pretty much exactly what I am trying to avoid. Right now I am continuing the published order and am most of the way through Flight of the Eisenstein. I do not listen to audiobooks so I will be skipping those and disappointed to hear that some of them contain key storylines. If anybody can help with that it would be appreciated. The super confusing chart on the wiki page for HH is the best I have found.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Blindsight by Peter Watts (and to a lesser extent its sequel Echopraxia) is my favorite sci-fi novel of all time.

Anyway, speaking of skippable HH books, I read the synopsis for Descent of Angels and it doesn't sound that interesting or relevant. Plus the next, Legion, is Dan Abnett and so have loved all of his books so far. Should I skip it?

I know it involves pre-imperial society for part of it before contact and then through for formation of an Astartes legion. Does that mean it follows a Primarch before and during his first contact with the Emperor? That process does sound interesting, does it cover that well?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ok I am confused and I don't want to read the wiki so as to avoid spoilers.

I am reading Fallen Angels in the HH series and the Librarian in Caliban is using his psychic staff/abilities (in the 200th year of the Crusade) I thought the Emperor had banned that poo poo decades before at the Council of Nikea? They haven't fallen to Chaos yet as far as I know, but it sounds as if he has been using his abilities (and the dude that trained him) for long enough that even if they have fallen to Chaos and I just don't know it yet the timelines don't match up.

What gives? If it is a story spoiler I will find out later in the book don't spoil it please.

Edit: I skipped the first Dark Angels book earlier in the HH series because it sounded like it wasn't related much to "current" HH events and the thread said I could safely skip it. Was the answer in there?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 16, 2017

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Nope. Use of psychic powers was generally discouraged but not forbidden prior to Nikea, subject to individual legion preferences like the Space Wolves and Thousand Sons embracing them (while swearing they're not actually psykers for the Wolves), and others like the Death Guard and World Eaters effectively banning them. The Librarian program was started by the Thousand Sons, Blood Angels, and White Scars to formalize and codify the use of psykers among the Legions.

The Council of Nikea was the Emperor eventually addressing whether psychic powers were permissible for the Legions, and he said no. The Thousand Sons and White Scars completely ignored him from the beginning, and by the time of the Siege of Terra everyone except the World Eaters was openly training and using psykers.

See that just confuses me more. The specific use in the book I am talking about is in the 200th year of the campaign during the beginning Horus Heresy, so it was long after the Council of Nikea. That psyker also references his teacher who presumably had been using his powers for long before as well. Which would mean the Dark Angels never stopped using their Psykers after the council for the timeline to make sense.

Another thing that has me confused after reading the wiki entry on the Council is that it sounds like everyone at the Council knew about the dangers of the warp and daemon possession etc, but in the first few books of the Horus Heresy most of the characters except the Primarchs seem completely unaware the warp is anything but that which they travel through in interstellar trips.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I am so glad I got into 40k this year instead of a long time ago. GRRM wait is bad enough:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/09/20/the-siege-of-terra-dawns/

Edit: I realize it's still gonna be at least another ten years. :(

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Stolen from reddit. A 40k christmas carol:

Dashing through the blood, with a sleigh made out of bones, O'er the battlefield we go, beating men with stones!

Noise Marines will play, Nurgle is a blight, What fun is is to gather skulls to this slaying song tonight!

Revving swords, shooting guns, killing til we're done, Oh what fun it is to bathe my foes in holy promethium! Hey! Bolter rounds, melta guns, and some krak grenades, What a joy to see their xeno blood upon my blade!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just finished Watchers of the Throne. What are the other books chronicling girlymans return? Which one portrays his talk with emps?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zasze posted:

After the thing where if a regular alpha legion marine drinks the blood of Alpharius they turn into a near perfect clone, it gets a :psyduck: inception.

No. Any Astartes can drink blood and get a sense of the owner of the blood. In PoD, the guy drinks Alpharius blood and gets a few fleeting impressions, but then the psykers use their powers to switch their personalities. Drinking the blood doesn't make a clone.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got mine in Calibre, and the ratio of read to non-read is probably close to 1:10, if not worse.

I was actually thinking about this the other day, and with the volume that BL puts out, it's almost a hobby in itself in that it would require a lot of free time to keep up with all of the books that come out (obviously less, if you only focus on one series.)

I started the HH series last summer and am now on Corax. Haven't skipped anything except audio only stuff. Also took breaks to read Ravenor, Night Lords, and Forge of Mars trilogies as well as Dark Imperium and some other random 40k books . I dream the 30k/40k universe at this point.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

He also did a Mechanicus song to Battle Hymn of the Republic:

https://youtu.be/wy-sVTaZRPk

Oops, just saw your second post...

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

New Eisenhorn (Magos) is out. Ebook in 2 days.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Klaus88 posted:

1d4chan is an accurate representation of your typical 40k fan at least. And its funny, sometimes, once in a blue moon.

This fan fiction about Bjorn always cracks me up:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Bjorn_the_Fell_Handed#Bjorn.27s_Happy_End

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I need some recommendations. I have read all of the HH series, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, Pariah, Gods of Mars, Night Lords, Watchers of the Throne, Carrion Throne, Dark Imperium, Talon/Black Legion, and Titanicus. Also planning on grabbing Magos. What else is good in 40k? I just started 40/30k last summer so I haven't read anything else but this in that time and I am not ready to stop yet.

Edit: oh and I just picked up the first one in Beast Arises series since I figured I would enjoy that.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

Double Eagle is solid though not particularly remarkable, and perhaps best described as a kind of 40k Battle of Britain.

…actually, wait, did you forget to list Gaunt's Ghosts or did you really not read any of it? Because if it's the latter you have your work cut out for you.

Oh yeah, I read the first 3 Gaunt's Ghosts so I will start over and read the whole series. Considering I read everything on that list in under a year (and that's all 48 HH books) I am not intimidated.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah, a few books mention (one of the ones in Beast Arises I just finished does) that communications from the outer rim (whatever the far away parts from Terra are called in 40k) can take months to get to Terra. It isn't instantaneous.

Edit: Also in Beast Arises, they have to capture 3 ork psykers in different systems at the same time so they don't alert each other. They have a whole department to try and sync the time. 2 of the 3 manage to pull it off simultaneously and the 3rd fails because they weren't properly synced. So clearly they can try and sync and sometimes are able to, but not always.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Azubah posted:

I've only read two of the Watchers of the Throne books, but it's cool that it's all set on Earth. I liked The Emperor's Legion since does some world building for the new statue quo in the 40k setting.

Both are by Wraight.

Wait, there is more than two? Actually, I only know of one, Emperor's Legion, I assume the 2nd one you refer to is Carrion Throne which has the title Vaults of Terra.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

40k is really popular in Russia from what I gather and Russian trolls actively target the disaffected nerd demographic in their efforts to drive the rise of the alt-right in America so maybe there is some crossover there?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I still have never gotten into the tabletop but I have decided if I do I am going to make a Space Wolves army that got sober through the 12 steps of AA

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

bango skank posted:

Are there any stories about 40k loyalist marines falling to chaos or otherwise turning traitor? The closest I've found I think is that infected marine from the short story in Magos. I've read plenty of HH marine stuff, but my 40k marine experience is pretty much limited to the night lords and space wolf series'

One of the Imperial Fists successor chapters in Beast Arises series turns traitor and it's really well done. They are forced to cooperate with traitor marines by circumstances and slowly come around to some of their points of view and by the end they are labeled heretics for their cooperation (even though they really did have solid reasons) and have no choice but to go all the way and turn traitor or be destroyed.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

Memory jogged, that was it. A bunch of Black Templars , who were already full bore fanatical 'Faith in the Emperor' enough to resist psychic attack and who had spent the last 1000 years obsessively hunting these particular renegades decide on a wacky buddy cop team up.

I did not find it convincing.

No it was Imperial Fists (Fist Exemplar) who worked with the traitors and it was the Black Templars who refused to welcome them back and attacked them forcing them to go full traitor.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Zerberyn

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Deptfordx posted:

It's not out till the 12th.

Not officially, but suppose I were to have read it I would have to say I enjoyed it and it was pretty good.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gently caress YEAH

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Hustlin Floh posted:

Read the book. It's worth it.

Is Helsreach the book part of a series or stand alone?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So I read The Inquisition Wars because I wanted to see what the start of 40k writing was like and get into some old lore. gently caress Ian Watson forever and ever. Like is my ebook copy messed up or does it really just abruptly end after 700+ pages when the main character commits suicide by space marine, becomes a webway ghost, and is like "this is my life now" with no resolution to the plot whatsoever.

The writing style was weird and oftentimes jarring but seeing what the lore used to be like was pretty cool. Seriously though, gently caress that ending.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

moths posted:

The thing your forgetting is the framing device - the book you read exists in the 40k universe.

Somehow the narrative makes it out of the webway and into the hands of the Inquisitor reading it from the introduction. If it's true. That is, the implied story didn't actually end where ther narrative did. Maybe.

It's the most unreliable of narrators, and might be a direct attempt to undermine the reader's beliefs

I thought that was only the first book. He wrote the first book and had it delivered to a higher up in the Inquisition before he went into stasis for 100 years. Maybe I'm wrong. It was certainly an unreliable narrator compounded by a weird writing style.

It's worth reading though just to see what the old lore was like. I am pretty sure it was the first BL book ever released. He goes into the Eye of Terror, sneaks into the emperor's throne room and has a conversation with him, and steals a book from the black library.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 12, 2018

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

susan posted:

Gonna be in need of a new book soon, are the Horusian War books any good? Or should I read the Ravenor series first? Or dive back into the Heresy line (I think the White Scars are where I left off)?

I just read the first Horusian War book. It was good, not great. Second one comes out in July I believe.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I lol'ed at the Hillary supporting navigator in Ashes of Prospero:

quote:

‘I wasn’t seeking permission,’ said Njal. ‘Why is Remeo not here?’
‘I have volunteered for this task, Lord of the Runes,’ Majula replied.
‘Volunteered?’
A crack appeared in the young lady’s facade of indifferent superiority, revealing agitation.
‘The Navigator Remeo thought to forbid me from attending to the pact between House Belisarius and the Space Wolves. Nevertheless, I persisted.’

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Somebody on Reddit asked if the Alpha Legion had ever replaced another legion's dreadnought with one of their own. Like switched out the sarcophagi or just made an imitation one and switched them out in the heat of battle. I thought it was interesting and very Alpha Legion and it gave me an idea for a trilogy:

Alpha Legion needs a secret that only Bjorn knows as it pertains to events a long time ago he is the only surviving member of. In the 1st book they cause some big gently caress you to the Space Wolves important enough to wake Bjorn and then secretly swap him out (or just make them think he died and was unrecoverable) during the battle.

2nd book is a collection of short stories. Alpha Legion puts Bjorn in a Fang simulation and he thinks he is telling Sagas to a new generation of Space Wolves, eventually getting to the story they need info from.

3rd book the Space Wolves figure out they swapped him/he is still alive. They race to not only rescue him but stop the Alpha Legion from completing their mission.

Bonus this could have something to do with Russ and/or Omegon and could lead to them coming back at the end.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I literally just finished Helsreach and it is excellent but it sounds like he is asking for straight bolter porn and while it has that it isn't that. The Damnation of Pythos is pretty much Starship Troopers bolter porn 30k era. Damnation of Baal is 40k bolter porn against the 'nids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There is a really really well done fanfic on girlyman's conversation with emps on the 40klore subreddit. I normally wouldn't mention fanfic here but it is honestly so good GW should make it canon. Not gonna post it here for people who don't give a gently caress but you should go check it out. It's my headcanon now.