Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Looking forwards to seeing how they'll make the Lion an interesting character and how they'll make him fit in with the indomitus crusade

I've seen some discussion about him taking over the imperium nihilus for Dante, but I don't know enough about the character to know if that would even be something the lion is interested in, he strikes me more as a fighter than an administrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
The infinite and the divine is the best xenos-perspective BL book I've read, I think

Very funny, very good

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Speaking of raven guard, what's the deal with their shadow walking/shadow slipping ability? Is this supposed to be some kind of warp-related ability or are they just really good at oiling the joints of their power armor

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
You can tell its old lore since they refer back to "scientists" instead of something like "Magus Astrologists"

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Flowers For Algeria posted:

let the man tell you more in his own words

https://farook.org/dansimmons.htm

Haha, that's awful. I had no idea Dan Simmons joined Frank Miller in post 9/11 dementia

Because I'm apparently terrible at time management I skimmed through that entire thing, but are there any hints at what these fateful THREE WORDS at the end are supposed to be?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
On the second twice dead king book, and my boy Oltyx just decapitated Menthep and shipped off his best friend and flayed subjects and I am not mad, but very disappointed

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Telsa Cola posted:

Was it daemon princes or the fact that it was Angron, a daemon primarch? Because Im fairly certain that the Tanith ran into daemon princes at least twice and it's not portrayed as tooo big a deal.

There's also inconsistencies Imperium wide (makes sense, variety in worlds) about how much folks know about the heresy.

I can't recall a single instance of the ghosts encountering daemon princes- Their chaos stuff seems to top off at daemon engines and warlord sorcerers, afaik

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Haha god damnit

I sure hope this doesn't mean bequin part 3 is delayed until after eatd 3

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Listened to TEatD and the first vaults of terra book back to back, and I feel they're pretty good companion pieces. Seeing the contrast between HH era Terra and the absolute shithole it has turned into 10k years later is fascinating. Wraight does a REALLY good job at building scenes and setpieces around the ecumenopolis and its advanced state of venerated decay. Also loved John Banks' narration- sometimes his pronunciation of "Terra" comes funnily close to "Terror"- no wonder Spinoza notes that everyone is afraid all the time.

Vaults also had a cool antagonist, but I can't help but feel like that poor dark eldar would have had his mind blown way before he could actually do any actual harm to the emperor, if his plan was to actually step into the throne room and lay eyes on him. Although, who knows if the emperor's psychic presence is as overwhelming to a non-human

I've read an embarrassing amount of 40k fiction, but it strikes me that very few pieces actually use 40k's Terra as the backdrop. I guess the very, very first black library book has some questionable Terra content, but unless I've missed something, it seems to have been relatively sparse since 1990!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Arc Hammer posted:

So my brother told me that Warhammer Plus has been banned in Canada. Any valid reason for this or is it another case of CanCon rules being abused out of a misguided attempt to preserve our cultural artistic identity of being NotAmerica.

Supposedly some quebec thing according to reddit

"Bill 96 recently became law in Quebec, and it reinforces many laws in the province, including the Charter of the French Language. One of the new articles in the law states that businesses must provide services, services, and products in french."

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Biplane posted:

Still not allowed to get warham+ here in norway and we don't even speak french here

Well, they say you can't, but my fiancé bought me a subscription just a couple of days ago, not knowing about the supposed restrictions for non-available regions, and as far as I can tell all the content is watchable on warhammer tv and I'm not using a VPN or anything

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Speaking of wives, in the last couple of months, my SO has had her first exposure to 40k aside from watching me play video games and paint tiny plastic men, and has blazed through Eisenhorn and almost all of Ravenor, and all the appropriate Magos' stories in between, but after the two Bequin books I'm not entirely sure what I should recommend next

I've been listening through watchers of the throne vaults of terra myself, and I'm thinking that might be a hit and that she'd like Spinoza a lot, but she digs Abnett's writing, so I've been considering Gaunt's Ghosts as well, but her favorite characters are definitely the gals, and iirc it takes a few books before the cast becomes more diverse in Ghosts-

Any ideas?

:ninja: : I also showed her the Angels of Death: Origins short, and she loved that, with her first reaction being how it passed the bechdel test better than most media

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 2, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Stolen by the unknowable and perfidious invisible hand of the market

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Hell yeah, maybe this means Bequin pt.3 also comes out in 24

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I finished Vaults of terra: The Dark City and wow, the ending was a lot darker than I expected for a trilogy. None of the characters get even a remotely good ending! Very typical of the Imperium to nuke itself in the foot by scuttling the dark eldar throne deal, though. Poor Gorgias :(

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Demiurge4 posted:

I mean literally would also destroy the imperium if it went through.

Would it? I was under the impression that it would have actually saved the throne, unless the DE were lying to Crowl at the very end, where it seems to have had very little reason to do so

It was a great little series, though. Very much recommend it, it was neat to visit terra in 40k

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

euphronius posted:

The throne deal was a bad deal. They were right to nuke it

Was it? I'm not trying to be obtuse, but aside from it, in a vacuum, being a bad idea to trust a deldar- how was it a bad deal for the empire? Yeah, you give commoragh a lifeline, but in exchange you do the same for the throne? If there was a major, backstabbing drawback, I must have missed it during my listen

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Yeah, alright, I buy the whole insanely sacrilegious aspect, and I may have disregarded the larger ramifications of a cloned emperor. But, the way I imagined it, it'd be more of a slab of psychically active cloned meat with no actual intelligence, just a biological cog in a machine. Aside from not being able to fix the throne as a result of the deal falling through, the knowledge of the throne's impending failure is also "lost", though Wraight leaves just enough avenues for discovery open that not ALL hope is lost.

^ In a way, the throne falling apart and failing within "the next few hundred years", is also incredibly 40k, with any numbers of certain dooms being permanently just around the corner, no matter how many corners you turn

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Philthy posted:

All the Wraight love without Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion being mentioned.

So, yeah, read it. It's easily my favorite 40k book. Custodes, Sisters of Silence, Grey Knights. It takes place on Terra just before Cadia falls, during Cadia's fall, and after Cadia's fall. It's probably one of the most pivotal novels written so far since the last two End and the Death's haven't been released yet.

Fine, I like to watch
Next audible credit going to that, I guess

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I've started listening to watchers of the throne and it's really good! Glad I picked it up so soon after reading vaults of terra, considering the immediate setting and the recurring background characters

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

This is all canon, imo

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Simply can't wait for (nearly) the end and the death

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I just finished watchers of the throne: the regent's shadow, and it was great- really recommend both that and the vaults of terra series. Chris Wraight does a fantastic job with both, and the same goes for the voice actors. Loved all the political intrigue, and lmao the officio assassinorum is terrifying

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Looking forwards to reading the backlog in this thread once I've finished this dang tome, it's so good, and holy poo poo, Keeble is just killing it, he's outdoing his work on the first book. Just outstanding all around

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Apropos nothing, with the return of the Lion and his stance on the fallen, I'm surprised at how each new Dark Angel mini release has come with generic Hunt For The Fallen references- one would think that would have changed now that the Lion is back in charge?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finally finished End part 2, gonna need some time to absorb it, but it was great- Abnett finally writing a good ending now that he has three whole books to do it!

Only Abnett can spend so many pages to only have 63 seconds pass

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sharkopath posted:

Finally got around to Genefather and I really liked it, I assume Reynolds bile books are super good, are they?

For necrons I know infinite and the divine, but how's the twice dead king series?

Heck, same. Started Genefather at work today and enjoyed it. It feels like very light reading compared to TEATD.

Also, twice dead king is really good!

Infinite+divine works because the characters are just so much fun, but twice dead made me care about necrons as a faction for the first time

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Witchbringer, any good? Author's name rings no bells

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Are there any good books or worthile collections that revolve around rogue traders?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished Genefather and quite liked it, but I think a large part of that was John Banks' excellent narration really selling the principal characters

Note that I haven't read the great work, which I imagine I'll get around to, but regarding Alpha Primus, What's the deal with his geneseed? It's not spelled out in Genefather, aside from Bile seeing traces of Magnus in there, but I got the impression that it's some kind of amalgamation of several strands-- all of them combined, maybe?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If DE nourish themselves on the suffering of other creatures, fighting orks must really feel like a wasteful chore

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Almost finished with Helsreach, which is surely gonna end on an upbeat note*, so seems appropriate to do sea of souls next

* Can't wait for trooper Andre to find and propose to his squadmate, who is surely alive and well :downs:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
A couple of hours into harrowmaster and it's really good. The narrator also seemed really familiar, but I just couldn't place him until I googled- turns out Theo Solomon Alpharius is the same guy who does Wyll Alpharius in BG3! I'm not sure if I would be into his narration for all types of books, but it really works for this one

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Simply can't wait for the (for real this time) end and the death

Hopefully this wraps up the requirements for Bequin part 3 to be released!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Demiurge4 posted:

Gaunt's Ghosts downtime novel, they're hanging out on Verghast recruiting some new troops and just vibing. Blood Pact but without the action.

I'm always down for more ghosts or anything sabbat related, but double triple eagle would also be a real treat- that one's a banger

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Kylaer posted:

The head lion of a pride is called the alpha, isn't it? So El'Jonson is the Alpha Lion :thunkin:

No idiot, the head of a lion pack is called the alpha wolf, and what space marine legion is associated with wolves?? that's right, Horus is basically confirmed to be the next primach to return

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
If games workshop could turn back time, I'm sure they'd replace the iron hands with black templars

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I just hope Sangunius gets better =)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I really feel for everyone who aren't able to complete their collection, but boy am I glad I get to buy it from audible and not the GW webstore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Arg, why no audible release!