Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
diggingtrash
Jun 14, 2007
He did it to shift all the beta tester hating to him alone. It is an effort to protect them from being pk'd by other players. Since 'beater' become the most hated title the beta player wont have to go through as much discrimination even if they are found out to be a former beta tester. He called beta testers newbs to ensure such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Animation quality for the boss fight was pretty good, wonder if that's going to keep up as the series goes on.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sure got Gainax-y in that action scene. Kinda jarring, but looked pretty neat. I wonder if they can keep that up, cause I noticed the animation and backgrounds in the rest of the episode hit a downgrade.

Still not sure with this show. I mainly just wanna see how dark and dramatic it takes the premise, but the whole "gently caress beta testers, they know things we don't and that makes them our enemy for some reason" thing feels really dumb and forced. Even if he was a total rear end in a top hat, wouldn't you want to keep the guy who knows how to beat the game as close to you as possible so you could beat the game and not die? What's the issue?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think irrational hatred towards a group with a perceived advantage is something that would actually happen in that situation, though somehow their presentation of it still feels a little off.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

diggingtrash posted:

He did it to shift all the beta tester hating to him alone. It is an effort to protect them from being pk'd by other players. Since 'beater' become the most hated title the beta player wont have to go through as much discrimination even if they are found out to be a former beta tester. He called beta testers newbs to ensure such.

I think its more likely people would associate Beta Testers with him due to how arrogant he behaves. Its just giving them more excuses to justify their beef with Beta Testers.

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 15, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Speaking of the gently caress beta testers thing, the explanation for the word "beater" made me cringe so hard. I could not believe my ears.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I think irrational hatred towards a group with a perceived advantage is something that would actually happen in that situation, though somehow their presentation of it still feels a little off.

I dunno, I kind of figured that in this situation you'd actually want a Beta tester on your side, since they've had experience and can power you through areas they have experience in. You might deal with some jealous types, but if you're with an experienced player you're more likely to come out on top of any sort of attempted PK.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Srice posted:

Speaking of the gently caress beta testers thing, the explanation for the word "beater" made me cringe so hard. I could not believe my ears.
Well you know, Engrish and all...

Jackard fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 15, 2012

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
he did mention that just about all the beta testers sucked

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a pretty good fight for a TV series. I'm on board with this show if it keeps up that level of quality.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

The Holy Queef posted:

Fetucine spoilers please

but yea it looked like he pushed the hand with potion away

Also about that situation, he probably felt ashamed that he was just using all those players to weaken the boss so he could sweep in for the last blow and get that epic loot. Honor and death and all that jazz.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

diggingtrash posted:

So he decided that the best way of uniting all the players, as per the blue-haired dude's final request, was by making them all hate him? I suppose he's been shown to be sufficiently socially inept that he might think it's a good idea. (What I'd find ironic is if all the other players he pissed off set up an ambush and ganked him when he exited the tower, but that can't happen to the protagonist unfortunately.)

Einander posted:

Fetucine: SAO does not use a Earthbound rolling HP system. Dead is dead, even if your HP is still ticking down to 0. He pushed the potion away because it wouldn't have done anything.
I guess that makes sense. It would have been pretty stupid if that guy had simply allowed himself to die out of shame.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Plus it turns out the black coat is just a cosmetic item. So he got killed for nothing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

pandaK posted:

Plus it turns out the black coat is just a cosmetic item. So he got killed for nothing.

That is hilarious if true.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Factor_VIII posted:

So he decided that the best way of uniting all the players, as per the blue-haired dude's final request, was by making them all hate him? I suppose he's been shown to be sufficiently socially inept that he might think it's a good idea. (What I'd find ironic is if all the other players he pissed off set up an ambush and ganked him when he exited the tower, but that can't happen to the protagonist unfortunately.)
It would have been smarter to rally them but when I think about it that might have made the story worse, turning him into a Mary Sue

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So, how does PVP work in this game? Does it even exist? Because I can't imagine having everyone hate you would really matter if you had to agree to 1v1 combat by clicking in a menu.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jackard posted:

It would have been smarter to rally them but when I think about it that might have made the story worse, turning him into a Mary Sue

Judging by how the story has shown him so far, I don't think he really has the charisma or social skills to act all leadery at this point anyway.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

So, how does PVP work in this game? Does it even exist? Because I can't imagine having everyone hate you would really matter if you had to agree to 1v1 combat by clicking in a menu.
According to the comic it follows a typical FFA MMO flagging system, something like: if a blue player attacks another blue outside of a duel, they temporarily turn grey and open to retaliation, if they murder they turn red.

players accidentally flagging themselves or conning others seems like a common theme for FFA, so maybe that'll crop up

Jackard fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 15, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Jackard posted:

Conversely he now appears to have a full-blown martyr complex (and seems to have turned into Lelouch or Batman). I'm not saying that he should have become the new leader of the group since that would have been pretty cheesy. A more realistic approach might have been for him to have said that the content of the game had changed and that beta testers didn't have that much knowledge. Instead he seems to have decided that becoming the scapegoat for the entire community will somehow stop all other forms of persecution.

(Also I think the anime should have had the knight guy explicitly said that he was already dead since it really seemed as if he was committing suicide due to being ashamed he tried to kill-steal.)

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Problem was, they were looking for someone to blame for everything that was going on--if he were to just say "Oh hey, we didn't know that either", they'd have just scoffed at it.

Don't think it's a spoiler anymore, but I'll black it out to be careful.

Specifically, he was trying to cover for all of the other Beta Testers still alive at that point, so that there wouldn't be some lynch mob formed to hunt down anyone even suspected of being in that position--as was starting to happen when he made his big speech. He didn't have any was of proving that "Oh hey, things are different", and there was already a hell of a lot of grumbling involved with them--to the point where anyone flagged as being a Beta Tester had good odds of Actually getting murdered

What he was trying to accomplish was to set it up so generic "Beta Testers" would actually have a shot at providing what intel they had on the game--because now they're just "One of the Guys" rather then some rear end in a top hat who was leveraging his info to get an advantage over everyone. It's kind of a stupid martyr thing, but what the gently caress else are you supposed to do when people are scared, angry, and looking for someone to blame for everything that had been going wrong? You can't just make a calm argument and expect it to be heard

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Moldy Taxes posted:

I dunno, I kind of figured that in this situation you'd actually want a Beta tester on your side, since they've had experience and can power you through areas they have experience in. You might deal with some jealous types, but if you're with an experienced player you're more likely to come out on top of any sort of attempted PK.

The thing is Beta Testers don't have much of an advantage in this game.

The creator changed bosses and mechanics around before release. And like any MMO Bosses are really the only thing that matter.

Only thing that they have knowledge of would be stuff that probably wouldn't change. How the Skill system works, and Quests

Factor_VIII posted:

Conversely he now appears to have a full-blown martyr complex (and seems to have turned into Lelouch or Batman). I'm not saying that he should have become the new leader of the group since that would have been pretty cheesy. A more realistic approach might have been for him to have said that the content of the game had changed and that beta testers didn't have that much knowledge. Instead he seems to have decided that becoming the scapegoat for the entire community will somehow stop all other forms of persecution.

(Also I think the anime should have had the knight guy explicitly said that he was already dead since it really seemed as if he was committing suicide due to being ashamed he tried to kill-steal.)

They wouldn't had believed him as they took him yelling to step back and not rush in as though he actually knew the fight mechanics while the other guy did now.

Also as someone who has actually Beta tested MMOs. Most people in the beta tests are infact complete idiots.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 15, 2012

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dexo posted:

The thing is Beta Testers don't have much of an advantage in this game.

The creator changed bosses and mechanics around before release. And like any MMO Bosses are really the only thing that matter.

Only thing that they have knowledge of would be stuff that probably wouldn't change. How the Skill system works, and Quests

Well I get that now that I took some time to watch the episode before work, but it still seems counterintuitive to target beta testers when every little bit of knowledge helps. If Kirito, or someone with similar beta experience to him, had been leading the group, his instant recognition that the boss was carrying a different blade when it switched modes would have changed the outcome of the whole fight.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Moldy Taxes posted:

Well I get that now that I took some time to watch the episode before work, but it still seems counterintuitive to target beta testers when every little bit of knowledge helps. If Kirito, or someone with similar beta experience to him, had been leading the group, his instant recognition that the boss was carrying a different blade when it switched modes would have changed the outcome of the whole fight.

There was a Beta Tester leading the group. The reason that he died was that he assumed that the boss was the same as it was on the Beta version

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dexo posted:

There was a Beta Tester leading the group. The reason that he died was that he assumed that the boss was the same as it was on the Beta version

Well yeah, but it's never explicitly stated (in the anime, at least) how far he got in the beta. If he didn't get far enough to recognize the type of weapon the boss used, then he wouldn't have been able to immediately tell what the difference was.

Although I suppose another part of the problem is their heavy reliance on the guide book to get them through the fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Moldy Taxes posted:

Although I suppose another part of the problem is their heavy reliance on the guide book to get them through the fight.
Well it's not like they can afford to wipe a few times to learn the encounter. :v:

It's a good thing these bosses are easier than your average MMO's, or everyone would be doomed.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

Well it's not like they can afford to wipe a few times to learn the encounter. :v:

Of course, but I figure that they might have relied on it so much that when poo poo hit the fan they forgot how to improvise.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sindai posted:

It's a good thing these bosses are easier than your average MMO's, or everyone would be doomed.

Yeah. There isn't a boss fight in this series that one person loving up kills everyone. That would be pretty comical though.

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Alectai posted:

Problem was, they were looking for someone to blame for everything that was going on--if he were to just say "Oh hey, we didn't know that either", they'd have just scoffed at it.

Don't think it's a spoiler anymore, but I'll black it out to be careful.

Specifically, he was trying to cover for all of the other Beta Testers still alive at that point, so that there wouldn't be some lynch mob formed to hunt down anyone even suspected of being in that position--as was starting to happen when he made his big speech. He didn't have any was of proving that "Oh hey, things are different", and there was already a hell of a lot of grumbling involved with them--to the point where anyone flagged as being a Beta Tester had good odds of Actually getting murdered

What he was trying to accomplish was to set it up so generic "Beta Testers" would actually have a shot at providing what intel they had on the game--because now they're just "One of the Guys" rather then some rear end in a top hat who was leveraging his info to get an advantage over everyone. It's kind of a stupid martyr thing, but what the gently caress else are you supposed to do when people are scared, angry, and looking for someone to blame for everything that had been going wrong? You can't just make a calm argument and expect it to be heard

No it's more likely to convince the new players that all the beta testers are like that. If one beta tester could be an rear end in a top hat to the other testers, how does that mean that the other beta tester won't do the same to the new players? The player base already hate beta testers, all Kirito is doing is giving them more excuse to hate beta testers by associating most beta testers with him. This is what would really happens in a realistic scenario.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
This show is making me want to replay .hack. Fortunately I don't have a working ps2 right now, so I can't actually repeat that mistake.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

The funny thing is, 'beater' is the correct pronunciation of 'beta'. At least with my accent.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

...the whole "gently caress beta testers, they know things we don't and that makes them our enemy for some reason" thing feels really dumb and forced. Even if he was a total rear end in a top hat, wouldn't you want to keep the guy who knows how to beat the game as close to you as possible so you could beat the game and not die? What's the issue?

As a plot device, I agree. However, these people are remarkably articulate for MMO playes. :v: Judging from the griefing thread, you can definitely find some players that are just completely moronic. Maybe his epenis was in danger so he did the butthurt thing instead of the logical one? I think a more realistic scenario would have players be more unpredictable, but that wouldn't really be helpful to the story!

Srice posted:

I so wished that the term "poopsocker" would make it into the show. Drat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Storgar posted:

As a plot device, I agree. However, these people are remarkably articulate for MMO playes. :v: Judging from the griefing thread, you can definitely find some players that are just completely moronic. Maybe his epenis was in danger so he did the butthurt thing instead of the logical one? I think a more realistic scenario would have players be more unpredictable, but that wouldn't really be helpful to the story!

Yeah, realistically speaking, a lot of people would be behaving really irrationally in a situation like this; there would be complete panic before the villain finished his speech in the first episode.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Storgar posted:

Then again, unlike real MMO's SAO has removed the anonymity that makes griefing and reckless stupidity consequence free. You only have one identity, your character has your face and your life is literally on the line. So it follows that there'd probably be considerably less random dickery in SAO than in a typical online game.

Yeah I probably shouldn't think too hard about this.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Then again, unlike real MMO's SAO has removed the anonymity that makes griefing and reckless stupidity consequence free. You only have one identity, your character has your face and your life is literally on the line. So it follows that there'd probably be considerably less random dickery in SAO than in a typical online game.

Yeah I probably shouldn't think too hard about this.

I'd figure that the same people who whine about the beta tester's advantage are the same people who'd never make it out of Level 1.

Still, out of ten thousand people you don't think at least one of them would load up on potions and go on one last crazy rampage right outside of the starting town? That probably took a good chunk out of the two thousand who died in the first month.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Moldy Taxes posted:

Still, out of ten thousand people you don't think at least one of them would load up on potions and go on one last crazy rampage right outside of the starting town? That probably took a good chunk out of the two thousand who died in the first month.
Personally I'd have expected the situation to have degenerated into Lord of the Flies after a month of them there. Though I suppose the fact the vast majority of players stick to the non-PVP area means that they are sheltered from a violent minority that might decide that inexperienced players are easier game than monsters.

Though having a Lord Humungus impersonator laying siege on the starting area and offering safe passage through the wasteland in exchange for all their gear would have been amusing.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Does the LN or comic ever go into what constitutes a PvP restricted zone? I was under the assumption that anywhere outside of towns was fair game.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
In the future Japanese MMOs mechanics are still behind in concepts, except by decades literally this time, last hits determine the loot reciever? Well at least you can have funny griefing stories to tell with that kind of retarded mechanic.

Storgar
Oct 31, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Agreed. I think having everyone's face become visible definitely cuts down on griefing. There might be a few people who PK just to see what happens. By unpredictable people, I was actually referring to panicked people. In historical disasters, you see a lot of crowds blocking entrance ways, looting, and unfortunate individuals getting trampled.

But I digress! Episode 2's better than the 1st, while it still feels a bit melodramatic, there's those nice action scenes pow pow slice! blam hahaha woo woo

Um. I think I'll keep watching for now.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

bubblegumbo0 posted:

In the future Japanese MMOs mechanics are still behind in concepts, except by decades literally this time, last hits determine the loot reciever? Well at least you can have funny griefing stories to tell with that kind of retarded mechanic.

They discussed early in the episode that loot was automatically divided, I took it to mean people randomly got stuff from it and the last hitter got something extra. Plus since the game is classless without support roles, having something like that isn't inherently unfair like it would be in most modern MMOs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tyberius posted:

Also about that situation, he probably felt ashamed that he was just using all those players to weaken the boss so he could sweep in for the last blow and get that epic loot. Honor and death and all that jazz.

If my source (4ch) is correct, bluehair guy noticed that potions do not work in the zone - That's supposedly in the LN.
Source isn't accurate as i'd like to, but still.

• Locked thread