Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
I was honestly expecting to hate this because of how overhyped it was and how dumb the premise sounded (that, and the fact that it was written by the Accel World guy), but the first episode was surprisingly not-terrible. I guess I'll stick with it for a bit and see what happens.

I guess it helps that Yuki Kajiura did the music and that the OP is by LiSA and pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

(probable actual LN spoilers) Don't the LNs cover other games as well? What do you think the likelihood is of the anime only focusing on the original Sword Art Online game and telling the story in chronological order with additional material?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah the premise of the show makes no sense at all but if they're simply going to use it as a springboard to FANTASY ADVENTURES then I guess I can just stop thinking about it.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

You don't need to make your game fun when you have a captive audience. Literally!

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yeah, I wouldn't really call this the most revolutionary anime ever, but it's pretty inoffensive and easy for people to identify with. I've been watching it with my brother and friends and they all enjoy it despite not being regular anime watchers. It helps that A-1 have really stepped up their game lately and done a great job of adapting it as well. I'm not sure exactly when they went from "that studio with the bad animation" to being one of the better quality ones currently around, but it's pretty cool.

And yeah, I think the frequent acknowledgement that they're in a game and the consistency of the game rules / internal logic make it a lot more interesting. You have to suspend belief pretty heavily with regards to the basic premise (I thought this show would be pretty terrible based on what I read about it before it aired, but it surprised me) but after that it's an enjoyable enough ride. I liked stuff like how instead of cooking being something you'd do completely realistically in a 1:1 virtual world, it was just done by pulling a knife out of the inventory window and touching it against the ingredients, and then Asuna went on to complain about how cooking was too boring. It was a nice touch.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 29, 2012

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Apparently it says somewhere in the novels that he's been using a complicated item combining / creation process to retain the look of his original coat with all his upgraded armour. I don't remember precisely where I read this, though.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

It gets really absurd when they seem to cut out plot elements then forget that they did it. In episode 7, (novel/anime ep 9 spoilers) the novel side story has Kirito show Lisbeth his dual wielding skill before Asuna comes in. They cut that entire scene out of the anime. Normally I wouldn't care, but then they had to add that extra little scene with Lisbeth in episode 9 where she makes mention about having known about his skill all along. They've already established that Kirito was secretive and implied that he never told anyone of his skill (as volume 1 originally explained). I mean, sure, whatever, you could say that she learned of it later on after episode 7 and we never got to see it. But at that point all you are doing is needlessly writing bad plot where bad plot never existed. If you are going to change the plot, stick with it. Don't keep convoluting things.

They obviously cut that part out because in the novels, the floor 76 boss fight (where said skill is reviewed) comes earlier than the Lizbeth side story. Since the anime is in chronological order instead, they had to cut it out to avoid spoiling it before the point when it was meant to be revealed.

But yes, the novels sound interesting. I wish they had a readable translation.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Nalin posted:

Floor 76? They just beat the 74th floor. Which side story dealt with that event? I don't remember which side story you could be referring to.

I meant 74.

I believe the entirety of Warmth of the Heart / The Heart's Heat / whatever is a side story from volume 2, isn't it? Where he meets Lizbeth and gets Dark Repluser forged.

I could be wrong as I haven't actually read the books, but I was told that in the books it's covered after his ability was already revealed, which means that the events of ep 9 in the show are presented to the reader before the events of ep 7.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Sigh. Unsubscribing from this thread.

Yeah I'd recommend staying out of here for a while. There are a lot of people who have no idea of subtlety.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Srice posted:

Yeah they got the translation from Japanese to Anime-English down just fine, what that place really needs are people that can translate from Anime-English to plain 'ol English.

In other words, editors.

Unfortunately, there are most likely a good deal of people who would violenty oppose such a thing.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

I bet he's awoken to a post-apocalyptic environment. Maybe a zombie invasion.

Living Dead Offline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

Yui's determined expression is the best thing.

• Locked thread