Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Psiwri posted:

Heard a better question regarding the prolonged connection to the game; how are these ISPs not having any disconnects or power outages the whole time?

The future is awesome that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Srice posted:

(was the audience supposed to be shocked when she did die a few minutes later? I certainly felt that was their intention)

I was shocked.
Mostly because of the voice actress used, though, which immediately convinced me it was a new main character.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Haha, ep 10 feels so goddamn rushed.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dan7el posted:

I'm thinking they had to include all of what they did in episode 10 if they plan to finish the story in two more episodes. Anime News Network lists a total of 12 episodes.

Wikipedia says 25 episodes total, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Bakanogami posted:

There was a thing from a talent agency in Japan the other week who tweeted something about being surprised that because they thought a certain show was only going to run for 2 cour (~13 episodes) but was apparently going on for more. Process of elimination by the Japanese blog that reposted it narrowed it down the likely contenders to SAO, Accel World, Eureka 7 AO, or Kuroko's Basketball. So who knows, maybe they are going to jump on it.

Maybe I'm just misreading what you've typed up, but 1 cour is one 3-month "season" of 10-13 episodes (winter, spring, summer, fall), so there's a series out there that will be up to 52 episodes rather than the presumed 26.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gearhead posted:

Hmm, so, is it a 1 cour series that's gone 2 cour? Or a 2 cour that's gone 4?

We always knew from the start SAO would be 2 cour.

2 -> 4

(with shows like Accel World and Kuroko no Basuke being on the list of candidates, this should have been obvious)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

post posted:

Huh, I read just recently that the author wrote the first novel when he was 15, SAO is actually pretty good considering. They say you should write about what you know, but who knew playing MMOs could help you get a TV show.

Hrrm, I don't know. Wikipedia has no age or birth year listed, and while he started writing SAO "web novels" back in 2002, they only got published in 2009 after what I'd assume to be heavy editing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

PastaSky posted:

EP 15:
Kirito must feel pretty confused. He beat the game but Asuna didn't wake up. That was the rule!

Ep 15: Asuna died before he beat the game, so this isn't really against the rules at all.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

First volume of Sword Art Online Progressive came out, and the sales went over 147k in the first week. Impressive.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I enjoyed that episode far too much, I think. I must really have a thing for MMOs. :(

Sadly it's way too obvious who the new girl is, since the voice is impossible to mistake.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

At this point, even the author admits (though it's removal) it was a dumb, probably adolescence fueled, move and he's excised it from the work. Honestly, If only to move on and actually enjoy the work, I'm fine with not acknowledging the chapter's existence.

Hah, the real reason you can't have sex in a story like this is because it upsets the core audience of people who absolutely refuse to follow something where their precious idol (in this case Asuna) has been "spoiled". The author probably realized it was hurting his sales to keep it around.

In related news, Kirito's voice actor is currently doing Sakurasou no Petto na Kanojo, and his delivery is really drat good. I think he might be Going Places.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

So uh, Kirito deleted all his stuff to keep it from getting the attention of GMs? How will his cheater stats go unnoticed if he instagibs every player he runs into? Surely someone will file a complaint.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dexo posted:

He instagibbed them because ALO is based solely around the players ability to move and dodge in a virtual space. And since Kirito spent some 2 years in a virtual world moving around fighting for his life, This game is nothing.

Only way a GM would get suspicious is if they looked at his sword skills in relation to his time played. But since he is doing all of this with Newbie equipment it can be explained away that he is just that much better than everyone.

Eh? I thought Yui said something about his stats being transferred over from SAO, which would explain the absurd scene where he stops the opponent's lance by just grabbing it. His strength value is probably a hundred times higher than anyone else in the current game. It's hard to write it off as "skill".

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Hmmmm.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Combined BD/DVD sales figures are out for SAO vol 1, and it sold 34,000 copies in the first week, making it goddamn popular.

Some yearly Top 4 stats for comparison (first volume cumulative sales, IIRC):

2000: 24,374 Love Hina _ 13,233 Hand Maid May _ 9,620 Banner of the Stars _ 8,614 Vandread
2001: 14,125 Mahoromatic _ 11,901 Fruits Basket _ 8,033 Noir _ 7,103 Hanaukyo Maid Team
2002: 58,589 Gundam Seed _ 25,644 Azumanga Daioh _ 16,109 GITS-SAC _ 13,907 Onegai Teacher
2003: 36,511 Fullmetal Alchemist _ 13,829 Tsukihime _ 13,607 Onegai Twins _ 13,377 Da Capo
2004: 68,732 Gundam Seed Destiny _ 28,537 Initial D s4 _ 19,641 GITS-SAC s2 _ 12,934 Bleach
2005: 24,436 AIR _ 16,573 Negima _ 11,254 Nanoha A's _ 11,039 Honey & Clover
2006: 45,367 Code Geass _ 42,525 Haruhi _ 26,590 Fate/Stay Night _ 18,170 Kanon
2007: 32,731 Gundam 00 _ 29,196 Lucky Star _ 24,808 Clannad _ 22,591 Nanoha Strikers
2008: 46,258 Macross Frontier _ 42,690 Code Geass R2 _ 34,601 Gundam 00 s2 _ 19,884 Clannad After Story
2009: 78,671 Bakemonogatari _ 43,883 K-on _ 24,495 Railgun _ 19,602 Haruhi "s2"
2010: 39,385 K-on s2 _ 34,108 Angel Beats _ 23,837 Ore no Imouto _ 18,311 Durarara
2011: 71,056 Madoka _ 50,866 Fate/Zero _ 33,813 IS _ 31,524 Ano Hana

darkgray fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 1, 2012

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

No, that's a good show. I Mean Oreimo or 'the gently caress it was called. That show was just awful.

Also supremely popular in Japan! Yay Otaku Taste!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Yeah, I want to keep liking this show but the second half is getting too pedo.

Surely sexualizing enormous breasts is the opposite of pedophilia. Especially in Japan.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Enkmar posted:

I love how were somehow supposed to be okay with incest/pedophelia because that's the status quo for anime. And that means were not supposed to talk about it? That's tough to do because that's like 80% of that episode. The entire 23 minutes was pretty revolting.

Yes I know it's everywhere, but really that just makes it even more disappointing in this case.

It's not pedophilia, though. She's 15, and clearly pretty far into puberty, judging by her chest size. It might be distasteful, but let's not brand every single thing pedophilia.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNUxEZO6qF0

Now you can play people playing games!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Alca posted:

Is this a 3ds game?

Are you trolling me? You don't see the "PSP" in the video title or the "PSP" and "UMD" in the still video frame?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Did they explain how an underage girl can be legally married without her own consent? I may have missed details while giggling over who plays the icky dude.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gearhead posted:

She's not underage by Japanese law.

But this practice IS kinda stupid.

Well, underage as in still a minor. You're not an adult in Japan until the age of 20, to my knowledge. Marriage laws are a bit odd over there, admittedly, since women can get married (with parental consent) at the age of 16, while men only at 18, and if you want to go against your parents' wishes, you'll have to be 20 (for both genders).

Mordaedil posted:

In Japan, you can marry away your children as if they were a part of a trading negotiation, though it is practiced far less these days.

In fact, I think it's drawn upon mostly for dramatic purposes in mangas and anime.

Marrying your kids away without them having a say in it seems to go against my ideas of "human rights". Is there fact to back this up?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

The most I can find from the "Is this a human right" side of the equation is Article 16 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights however article 16 (2) and (3) can be easily interpreted as not applying for minors who are covered under Articles 4 and 5, so as long as its not clearly and unambiguously a case of slavery or indentured servitude its difficult to argue that minors have an inherent right to not be married according to their parents wishes. I vaguely recall a court case on 'The Practice' the came to the same decision regarding arranged marriage.

What? How can "(2) Marriage shall be entered into only with the free and full consent of the intending spouses." possibly be interpreted as "but hey, if you're a child, it's totally okay!" ??

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Alectai posted:

They (novel spoiler) Really don't need to, you'll find out exactly why they're completely confident in it's impossibility when the successful attempt happens

Thanks! Any way you can spoil more stuff without adding an explicit "NOVEL SPOILER" somewhere? It's so exciting!

Edit: Thanks. :)

darkgray fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 2, 2012

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I'm surprised that with all the LN translation readers in this thread, nobody seems to have mentioned Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei, which is heavily endorsed by the SAO author in the afterword.

Of course it may have something to do with it being terrible, but that's never going to stop it from being animated and ending up as the next big thing.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

Okay, based just on reading the synopsis, let me guess: there's constant romantic tension and it eventually turns out they're not actually blood-related? :keke:

I never got that far. The book has most amazingly tedious and longwinded explanations and descriptions of irrelevant setting details ever. It's ridiculously popular, though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

I'm filled with morbid curiosity, but I'll probably read Fate/Apocrypha when it comes out, and two terrible LNs would just be too much.

I'll be helpful and show an example of what a delight it is to read Rettousei:

Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei chapter 1 posted:

"Oversensitivity to spirit particle emission" refers to a condition of the body where one can see spirit particle emission without conscious effort, and cannot shut them out with conscious effort, in other words, a type of disorder where complete cognizance control cannot be achieved. Thus, it was not really an illness, nor a handicap.

It was a disorder where one's senses were excessively sharp.

Pushion (Spirit Particles) and Psion (Thought Particles). Both were particles observed in "Para-Psychological Phenomena" —— which included magic as well——, comprising of non-physical entities that neither corresponded to fermions, particles that make up the composition of matter, nor were the same as bosons, which bring about the interaction between matter. Psion were particle manifestations of intention and thought, while Pushion could be thought of as particle manifestations of the emotions brought about by intention and thought. (A pity that this was still at a hypothetical stage.)

Normally, it was Psion that was used in magic, and in the technology systems of modern magic, emphasis was placed on the control of Psion. Magicians first started from learning how to manipulate Psion.

People who suffered from "oversensitivity to spirit particle emission", a hereditary disorder, showed symptoms of being oversensitive to spirit particle emission —— non-physical light generated depending on the activity of Pushion.

Those who were visually exposed to spirit particle emission would have their emotional state affected. Consequently, Pushion were hypothesized as particles formed from emotions, and as a result, a person suffering from "oversensitivity to spirit particle emission" tended to be susceptible to the breakdown of his or her mental stability.

Fundamentally, to prevent that, it required the control of Pushion sensitivity, and for those who were unable to do that, they would require a technology aid. One of these aids were glasses made from a special kind of lenses known as "Aura Cut Coating Lenses".

In reality, to Magicians, "oversensitivity to spirit particle emission" was not that rare a condition. Since a Magician's sensitivity to Pushion and sensitivity to Psion were more or less directly proportional, the number of Magicians who consciously manipulated Psion and were troubled by being oversensitive to the radiation of spirit particles fell on the higher side. One could even say that it was something that could not be helped.

This entire blob of text follows directly on the main character noticing that a girl is wearing glasses.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

That's surprisingly competently translated. I have a high enough infodump tolerance that you're not really discouraging me from reading it.

R-Really? Well, how about this!

Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei chapter 2 posted:

In general both commuting to work and school is now accomplished via mini railcars in depots which leave on a systematic schedule. The concept of the ‘full train’ is a thing of the past.

It’s not just trains, but all major forms of public transport which have undergone drastic changes in the last century.

Large vehicles which accommodate dozens of passengers in designated seats are no longer used, except in some high speed long haul cases.

A small vehicle, called the Cabinet, which consists of a small linear two or four seater car linked to a central control system is now mainstream.

Both power and energy is derived from the tracks, so the size is about half of a self-propelled car of the same capacity.

People line up sequentially on a platform to board the Cabinets, which derives the destination from a ticket or pass then moves off along the tracks.

The tracks are divided into three speeds and there is a traffic control system which manages the flow of traffic as well as oversee transitioning of cars from the slow tracks to the high speed tracks, the shift from high speed back to slow as the car approaches the destination, and the docking of the car at the destination platform.

It’s similar to lane changing while on a highway, and such a high density operation was only made possible thanks to advances in control technology, as it’s necessary to securely consolidate the running of dozens of cars which transport the same amount as a larger vehicles would have in the past.

In the case of medium to long haul commutes between cities, Cabinets are shelved and instead trailers run on a fourth high speed track, the larger size of the trailers allowing the passenger to travel in greater comfort with more amenities, but these are rarely used in regular commuting.

The romantic clichés of the past, such as the chance meeting on the train, can no longer occur on the daily commute to school anymore.

In return for not even being able to meet with friends, the threat of the ‘chikan’ is thoroughly eradicated.

Within the Cabinet there is no security camera or mike.

One cannot leave the seat while the car is moving, and there are emergency bulkheads which separate the seats. Furthermore, the public consensus was that privacy is preferred.

The train nowadays has the same privacy as a private car. There are Cabinets with security measures which seat only one passenger, or one can ride a two seater car alone (taking a four seater with two or less people incurs a surcharge), but of course Tatsuya and Miyuki don’t travel separately and today they’re commuting to school together as well.

Surely you can't through all of that?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

2012 light novel sales ordered by series came out:
pre:
1. Sword Art Online (2,764,454)
2. Accel World (1,033,906)
3. Kotenbu Series [Hyouka] (767,236)
4. Mahouka-koukou no Rettousei (696,322)
5. Shinyaku To Aru Majutsu no Index (686,467)
6. High School DxD (654,224)
7. Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai (620,972)
8. Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (544,507)
9. Oda Nobuna no Yabou (450,794)
10. Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai (447,053)
Pretty crushing victory for SAO.

Edit: Looking at the list for individual volumes, eight out of the top 10 light novels sold were SAO.

Edit 2: Looking at the colleted stats for paperbook sales by author, Kawahara Reki (SAO/AW) sold over 4 million volumes this year. Sheesh.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 3, 2012

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Another game trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08QRWHwQTWc

Wonder how they managed to drag his sister in there.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I keep thinking all of this could be solved legally if Kirito would just bother to install Fraps.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

That's not my point. They could have done a lot to mitigate the Sis-con nonsense and focus on various things not touched on.

Eh, why would they mitigate it? There's such an abundance of incest-related romances in anime/manga/light novels these days that it has to be a sales point, or it wouldn't be snowballing this way.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Aw, if only I had a PSP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUdtyA8oEUM

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

I would be willing to watch more of his writing as an anime if it indeed improves over the later stories in the series. I haven't read them so I can't say for sure, but I'd be interested at least.

Well, there's Accel World if you want to crush those hopes straight away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Be sure to do your part, gentlemen. :patriot:

Not sure what the part is, but here goes!

• Locked thread