Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

pmchem posted:

yeah uh is this is a french revolution thread or a thread of goons just posting happiness about personal milestones? I realize people are goofin' around a bit but in general let's just keep it about goon happiness, please. nobody posting here is in the french revolution neighborhood

that said, different financial institutions will sometimes ask about balance sheet net work vs. liquid net work for different purposes

:glomp: Don't worry, I'd wager everyone itt knows that no matter how well any of us does, we're still all small fry on the same team in the grand scheme of things. Definitely happy for all of these goons (many of whom have given me great advice in one form or another over the years, so it's not like we've got motherfuckers hoarding wisdom and wealth in their ivory towers here).

I will never not laugh at a dunk like "I’m right on the heels of all you millionaires!!!" on our many many countrymen who are still out there drinking the Capitalist Cool-Aid™ and fighting their enemy's battles, though. Gotta laugh or you'll cry, etc.

For something more in the spirit of the thread, 2022 and 2023 will hopefully be my third and fourth years of maxing out my Roth IRA contribution despite that being >15% of my pre-tax income. I had some help from very wonderful people in my life and I don't love that I needed that, but as someone who's already 34 and behind, I'm trying to convince myself to just take the win. In a more recent first, I also managed to simultaneously squirrel away 1 month of e-fund in a different bank from my checking cushion. In the past I've always had to keep those two combined in order to reduce uncertainty, so even if it's a small amount, it feels good to have some in a separate account that I can now pretend does not exist. In theory I'm on track to increase that e-fund to 6 months by the end of 2024, so fingers crossed that nothing trips that up. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Unsinkabear posted:

For something more in the spirit of the thread, 2022 and 2023 will hopefully be my third and fourth years of maxing out my Roth IRA contribution despite that being >15% of my pre-tax income. I had some help from very wonderful people in my life and I don't love that I needed that, but as someone who's already 34 and behind, I'm trying to convince myself to just take the win. In a more recent first, I also managed to simultaneously squirrel away 1 month of e-fund in a different bank from my checking cushion. In the past I've always had to keep those two combined in order to reduce uncertainty, so even if it's a small amount, it feels good to have some in a separate account that I can now pretend does not exist. In theory I'm on track to increase that e-fund to 6 months by the end of 2024, so fingers crossed that nothing trips that up. :ohdear:

Congratulations! Those are huge accomplishments and we all need help sometimes. It’s a huge win to have people who care about you that much too

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah, i wasn't trying to start poo poo. I was just generally curious. When i think about my net worth i include houses but when i think about money i need to retire i don't.

I am sitting on about $600k cash and investments and $200k house equity. My partner is probably around $400k and $200k so i guess we are millionaires.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, i wasn't trying to start poo poo.

:same: I just like a good guillotine joke. I meant it tongue in cheek as I would be in that same line.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Net worth excluding your primary residence is one of the tests for being an accredited investor, so there’s that but otherwise I’d include it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Grateful for the F You stash today as I am feeling like it's time to quit and find some new purpose.

My work-provided laptop's battery swole up like a Capri-sun and IT refused to replace it due to Cost Cutting Measures in place

When I raised a fuss, they retaliated by installing Palo Alto Network's GlobalProtect(tm) to lock out all non-productivity tools and insinuated that my battery is about to explode because I visit non-work related websites :thumbsup:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Grateful for the F You stash today as I am feeling like it's time to quit and find some new purpose.

My work-provided laptop's battery swole up like a Capri-sun and IT refused to replace it due to Cost Cutting Measures in place

When I raised a fuss, they retaliated by installing Palo Alto Network's GlobalProtect(tm) to lock out all non-productivity tools and insinuated that my battery is about to explode because I visit non-work related websites :thumbsup:

:laffo: drive that thing down to the fire station and ask if it's safe.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Didn't know IT required an HR background these days, goddamn

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's funny how many of us are trying to see if we've hit that next level, but since it's usually us and a spouse we're actually only halfway there.

We were really close before the most recent downturn, but I think we might have hit 7 figures with everything now. :toot:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nocheez posted:

It's funny how many of us are trying to see if we've hit that next level, but since it's usually us and a spouse we're actually only halfway there.

We were really close before the most recent downturn, but I think we might have hit 7 figures with everything now. :toot:

It all looks good until you split up... soooo don't do that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I don't regularly follow my credit score but I do get emails now and then when it changes and I log into to a major bureau say, once a year. Anyway, did that the other week and looked at a historical graph and apparently my score was recently 844. Highest I've ever seen it and sufficiently high for a :toot:

Having both long-term and short-term debt and always paying it off on schedule while otherwise being boring worked out I guess. I never tried to game the system.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
All I have is a credit card I have set to autopay the balance. My credit score hasn’t been doing much, still right 653-683. I have no idea why it drops sometimes

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I feel like I deserve to post in this thread finally because I hit 20k in the bank :toot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Dance Officer posted:

I feel like I deserve to post in this thread finally because I hit 20k in the bank :toot:
That is huge, having a solid emergency fund makes everything so much less stressful. Congrats!

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
- next month will be 5 years straight without carrying over any debt balance month to month, aside from a mortgage. feels good to no longer pay the credit card companies interest and fees like I used to years ago.

- retirement savings (401k, IRA, HSA) surpassed 175k for the first time this month. still way behind at age 45 but making progress.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

zaurg posted:

- next month will be 5 years straight without carrying over any debt balance month to month, aside from a mortgage. feels good to no longer pay the credit card companies interest and fees like I used to years ago.

- retirement savings (401k, IRA, HSA) surpassed 175k for the first time this month. still way behind at age 45 but making progress.

congrats on the progress! :toot:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

zaurg posted:

Well done, the habits are good, just time and still got plenty of that really.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

zaurg posted:

I see nothing here worth tasing. :shobon:

Congrats, man. You've got me beat on the savings and unless I have a real good next ten years, you still will have when I'm caught up in age. Doing better than you think, imo.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Celebrating a major win, my daughter just graduated college debt-free.

A couple of pieces came together to make that happen. My best friend is a CFP, he opened a 529 for her soon after she was born. For a long time we didn't have a lot to put into it, but $50 a month was better than nothing. Threw in birthday checks from the grandparents, a hundred or so a month when we could afford it. That grew to about $65k by the time she was ready to go off to school. Add in about $20k of scholarships and we cash flowed the rest. All together it was about $150k total.

Here some E/N stuff to go along with it:
This is all counter to what I grew up with. My dad was always struggling and died broke, even though he owned his own business. Or maybe it was because he owned his own business (and a girlfriend on the side, but that is another story).

I finally got into some good budgeting habits and developed a distaste for running up credit cards. Realized at times I was spending to deal with my feelings. I also started listening to Dave Ramsey for entertainment purposes and he was on his college choice kick. My daughter came of age during Bernie so she kept hearing about economics and about the generation before her being trapped in student loan debt.

The final piece was when she fell in love with one of our state schools. It was smaller in size, challenging academically and “aesthetically” her vibe. Not sure how things would have turned out if she wanted to go somewhere more pricey, if and how much we would have pushed back. At least can start her adult life not sweating about making payments and bring in a hole.

To top it off she’s a first-generation grad; my wife and I don’t have degrees, none of our siblings, none of our parents. She did it through a crazy freshman year roommate, the covid shutdown, and a bout of depression. Super proud of her (and us). This is the life that an ex-crackhead alcoholic like me was never supposed to live.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

tomapot posted:

Celebrating a major win

Man that's great, congratulations.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

I see nothing here worth tasing. :shobon:

I read this sentence. I looked back and scrolled over to see who had posted. I shouted, "HOLY poo poo."

Congratulations, zaurg. Seriously.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

tomapot posted:

Such an awesome story. My parents never went to uni and it was pretty much their singular focus for us kids to have that opportunity.

You have delivered that opportunity for your daughter and is wonderful to hear she grasped it and persisted through her own adversities to realise the long term goal.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Just paid off a shitton of CC debt

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tomapot posted:

Congratulations to you and your daugther, that's an amazing achievement.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Doc Fission posted:

Just paid off a shitton of CC debt

Awesome!

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Congratulations tomapot, that's an incredible story and I'm very happy for you 🙂

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a new job and just finished transferring my abysmal retirement and setting up my new contributions to get back on track.

Old company: 9% total: 6 me, 3 them

New company: 24% total: 8 me, 16 them

My new plan is on an automatic 1% yearly increase on my side until I max out. I’m 36 and I really want this to start taking off in the background while I continue to save for an overpriced house.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Rolo posted:

I got a new job and just finished transferring my abysmal retirement and setting up my new contributions to get back on track.

Old company: 9% total: 6 me, 3 them

New company: 24% total: 8 me, 16 them

My new plan is on an automatic 1% yearly increase on my side until I max out. I’m 36 and I really want this to start taking off in the background while I continue to save for an overpriced house.

Holy poo poo, that's probably the best I've seen

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I discovered late last fall that due to the previous, original-build windows (replaced two years after we moved in) were leaking in one corner for a long time, letting water in to soak inside the structure of the wall. After doing discovery on the inside aka ripping out drywall, there was some significant work that needed to be done to replace 5x studs/cripples, sheathing, and a bit of flooring. With a brick exterior. Had a company do the masonry work to tear it down and due to circumstances had a single day to get the work done before they were coming back. With good planning for necessary materials and prep work, I didn't have to go to Lowe's once. I can't imagine what it would have cost to pay someone to do everything, I'm glad I had all of the tools (and knowledge) necessary to pull it off myself.

They offered 0% for 12 months financing for the ~$6000 masonry bill, so yeah why not. Paid $1000 down to start and just paid it off in full after six months.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 22, 2023

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Awesome, nothing better than a plan all coming together like a good blue movie.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hit a number-of-digits milestone in total comp last year, so we’ve celebrated by buying a condo for my sister to live in (mortgaging, to be sure). Was also able to help a friend by co-signing her mortgage after her ex-husband screwed her on some still-joint finance stuff.

Next we’re setting up RESPs for our nieces and nephews at $1000/year, backdated for their current age and running until they’re 20. If they choose to not go to post-secondary then they can roll it over into an RRSP so they get an early start on retirement savings. My wife has a nephew who is 30, so we’re just gonna write him a cheque I guess.

The major comp increase hasn’t really changed our lifestyle other than accelerating our plan to redo the back yard, but it’s let us help a bunch of friends and family in ways we really enjoy.

(And of course all income is still split about 50/50 with my ex-wife through 2023, with a $300K/year-after-tax cap, so that limits the craziness a little.)

Sure do need to do our wills, though…

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hit a number-of-digits milestone in total comp last year, so we’ve celebrated by buying a condo for my sister to live in (mortgaging, to be sure). Was also able to help a friend by co-signing her mortgage after her ex-husband screwed her on some still-joint finance stuff.

Sure do need to do our wills, though…

:toot: Congratulations. Make sure you build a big war chest before you start splashing it around. (The childrens college funds you can always pay when they go vs giving them money.) Definitely do your wills, sounds like you're in canada so I don't know how that works.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I just got a huge raise! Well, not really, but my kid is done with daycare!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I just got a huge raise! Well, not really, but my kid is done with daycare!

:toot: One more year until freedom for me.

Jows
May 8, 2002

You think it's freedom, but then you have to figure out summers.

Still better than daycare!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jows posted:

You think it's freedom, but then you have to figure out summers.

Still better than daycare!

My kids preschool is on the most working parent hostile schedule. There's literally 4 or 5 weeks off for summer break, 2 weeks for Christmas, week for spring break, and various other oddball days off. And like summer session ended on a Thursday so they would have the Friday to clean up etc.

Oh and all the camps have been done for 2 weeks as well. It's just the dead zone of summer for us.

1.5 more weeks to go. :suicide:

Blue Scream
Oct 24, 2006

oh my word, the internet!
After putting it off for way too long, I finally made a household budget. Nothing fancy, just Google Sheets, but I'll check out the budget megathread for additional tips.

I'll also max out my Roth this year. Feeling pretty good about that :)

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

gently caress yeah. Don't forget that budgets should be proscriptive ("do I have enough money to pay for this?") rather than descriptive ("I spent this money that I did/n't have) in non-emergency scenarios. But if all you can do is descriptive spending tracking for now, that's still a step forward!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Blue Scream posted:

After putting it off for way too long, I finally made a household budget. Nothing fancy, just Google Sheets, but I'll check out the budget megathread for additional tips.

I'll also max out my Roth this year. Feeling pretty good about that :)

I highly recommend YNAB. Good job making positive steps!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
I feel like another self pat on the back is in order since I'm well on my way to saving €8000 this year, on a salary that is barely above minimum wage and 90% of full time no less.