Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Orange_Lazarus posted:

We're going to start using Google voice + prepaid phones for emergencies so I'm going to call Sprint today to see if I can get out of our contract, even if it costs us $200 bucks as I suspect it will it's still worth it in the long run even if the upfront costs are high.

I know in internet time this post is years old, but have you looked at Ting wireless? They run on Sprint's network, but you only pay for the minutes/texts/data that you actually use. The downside is that they don't subsidize their phones so there may be an initially higher cost (and they have a limited selection), but it might be worth looking at compared to what you're considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Orange_Lazarus posted:

I'm guessing it's 2 cents per minute if I choose the 0/0/0 plan with Ting? It says 2 cents per minute after I run out of minutes if I have the XXL plan but it doesn't say if that's the same charge if I go with the XS: 0/0/0 plan.
https://ting.com/plans

It's a bit different than prepaid phones in that you don't really pay per minute (until you exceed their largest plans). You pay by tier of usage.

So, take minutes for example. The XS plan is $0 for 0 minutes. If you use 0-100 minutes, you would be in the S plan. 101-500 minutes is the M plan, and so on. Same thing for texts and data (where 0 usage may make more sense).

You pick which range best fits your normal usage, so you have a general idea how much your bill will be each month. However, if for some reason you deviate outside your normal usage, they adjust the tier. So, if you're on the S plan for minutes (0-100), and you use 300 minutes, they bump you up to the appropriate tier (M for 300 min) for that month. Thus, you would be charged $9 (M plan) that month for minutes instead of your normal $3 (S plan). Conversely, if you have the M plan and only use 50 minutes, they knock you down to the S plan for that month and CREDIT you the $6.

It may sound iffy, but if you went over your plan on a major carrier, you could get hit with fees and penalties. If you run out of minutes on a prepaid, you just can't place any calls (not good in an emergency). If you don't use your minutes on a major carrier, you pay anyway. If you don't use minutes on a prepaid, they expire. So I think Ting is reasonable. My last plan was with Verizon, and with a 20% discount my bill was still over double what Ting costs me.

One last thing I will say is that I've found Ting's customer service to be second to none. I've had both Sprint and Verizon and got nothing but headaches, but Ting is always responsive and helpful.

I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for them, just trying to give you enough info to make your own comparison.

RogueLemming
Sep 11, 2006

Spinning or Deformed?

Earth posted:

Regardless, my two cents worth is that money is an emotional thing for most people and the best way to go about criticizing someone's actions is to not say anything. What you should be thinking before speaking to coworkers about the three things you don't talk about in polite conversation -- money, sex, politics -- is posing the question to yourself of what benefit do I get from what I'm about to say. Establishing this thought experiment before speaking is my own form of incremental improvement. It has helped out my career greatly to not be that person who is annoyingly "better than you." It's a work environment, be a better worker and don't make the wrong kind of waves and you'll do much better in the long run.

How would it have possibly benefited you with your coworkers to say that you just paid off your debt and were free while others were complaining and trying to get you to join in complaining? These people aren't your friends, they are your coworkers. You don't have to like them, just have to work with them. Reading what you've shared about this situation saying nothing or simply agreeing would have been a better option.

How about the benefit of personal integrity? Why should someone have to lie or hide their pride at an accomplishment because other people are unreasonably oversensitive? It sounds absolutely exhausting to always be afraid and censor yourself because someone that dragged you into a conversation may get angry that your response forces them to recognize their own bad decisions. If they're so offended, they don't need to complain about debt around you again.

Who knows, maybe when the defensive gut reaction passed, someone in that group would approach the debt free person and ask for some advice. It's a slim chance, but it's a better chance than if everyone mindlessly agreed and maintained the attitude of "debt is normal, everyone has it, and it's just something we all live with."