Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hit a number-of-digits milestone in total comp last year, so we’ve celebrated by buying a condo for my sister to live in (mortgaging, to be sure). Was also able to help a friend by co-signing her mortgage after her ex-husband screwed her on some still-joint finance stuff.

Next we’re setting up RESPs for our nieces and nephews at $1000/year, backdated for their current age and running until they’re 20. If they choose to not go to post-secondary then they can roll it over into an RRSP so they get an early start on retirement savings. My wife has a nephew who is 30, so we’re just gonna write him a cheque I guess.

The major comp increase hasn’t really changed our lifestyle other than accelerating our plan to redo the back yard, but it’s let us help a bunch of friends and family in ways we really enjoy.

(And of course all income is still split about 50/50 with my ex-wife through 2023, with a $300K/year-after-tax cap, so that limits the craziness a little.)

Sure do need to do our wills, though…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s awesome!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah I’d buy my kid an account so she could learn from that thread

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

While doing taxes this year I got curious and discovered that I’ve now donated more than $1M (Canadian) since 2013. Hope to do more in the future, but that was a nice thing to see in the spreadsheet.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spwrozek posted:

Donated $1m to charity? Dang man. That is impressive.

Yeah, I’ve had very good financial fortune (other than the divorce…) and I want to use it to help people who haven’t been as fortunate. Off to a good start, I think!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When I was a VC, I found that the deeper into finance the person was (or wanted to be perceived as), the more likely they were to use “MM”. Was more common in Europe too, IIRC.