Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

I've been slightly dumb with my money and haven't been contributing to an IRA in the last ~5 years that I should have been. Fixed that this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

SpelledBackwards posted:

the familial strings attached not worth the hassle

This is almost always true. Exceptions exist, but an amount of debt that can be covered with an incoming signing bonus is not one of them.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

fuzzy_logic posted:

How do you guys make such massive payments? I'm only managing to overpay by a couple hundred every month, but I also live in a really high COL area. I can't imagine how you send five thousand out the door in one month x_x

Probably by not paying attention to your finances, being frugal by nature and/or having a high income, and then realizing later that paying off your loans is a good step to take.