Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Last week I:

Paid off my car loan

Paid off my credit card

Kicked my parents off my bank accounts they were joint owners on

I am now a 100% debt-free financially independent adult. :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Just got approved for my first credit card without requiring any sort of a cosigner (well, second if you want to count my company issued corporate credit card). Got a decent credit limit ($10k) and not terrible APR, not that I ever really carry a balance on it.

Once it comes in the mail and I close my old card, operation "kick the parents off of all my financial information and be a financially independent adult" will be complete.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've got a corporate card and this card I just got approved for, I don't really need three active credit cards in my name. I may take out a store card or two in the future for big purchases (I need to buy a washer and dryer, so I may get a Lowe's card to finance it if they're offering a good deal, etc) And not that I buy anything questionable or my parents are the type who'd steal my identity/meddle with my finances, but having absolute financial freedom from my parents is appealing.

I had a coworker bitch at me for bragging when everyone was bitching about their debt (coworker in question racked up $10k in credit card debt last month alone on stupid poo poo and didn't budget and was asking people to lend her money) and I stated that I'd worked my rear end for for the past 8 months and was totally 100% debt free apart from the $10 rush fee sitting on my corporate card that I just got the bill for.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

reflex posted:

How would you feel if you weren't feeling particularly good looking today and Emma Stone bursts into the office and is bragging to you about how gorgeous she is and how hard it is to be that beautiful?

It's fantastic you're the Emma Stone of your finances, but debt can cause extreme anxiety, stress, or depression in people, so please don't openly brag about it. You're just making them feel like complete poo poo to make yourself feel better. I don't want to jump down your throat, but I have experienced someone commit suicide because of debt so I'm a little sensitive to it.

That's great your debt free, I hope you stay that way (minus mortgage), and you have every right to be proud of it, but please think.

I wasn't bragging, the "bragging" was her words, I should've written that clearer. I simply said that I didn't have any debt and left it at that, it was one of those conversations where they kept trying to get me to join in bitching about money and I honestly had nothing to add for once.

Edit because I'm really bad at writing today (brain is fried from a long stressful week):

Here's how it went down:
Coworkers: [money bitching] Debt sucks, right AG?
Me: Well I actually just paid off my car and my credit card, so I don't have any right now and I'm trying to stay that way because yes it does suck.
Coworker who is horrendously bad with money: UGH STOP BRAGGING!

I usually avoid bringing up finances because of this exact situation happening :(

Problem! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 9, 2013