Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Over the course of 8 years with low income, high cost of living and bad spending habits I accrued over $8000 in consumer debt. I wrote a big boring wall of text that boils down to:

-2012 was my first year in a decade where my credit card balance went down, thanks to me being forced to kill said card (locking in the old APR before a huge increase), vowing never to carry a balance on the new one, putting all of my spending under the looking glass and as a result changing how I actually spent money.

-For the first time in many years, I actually saved up money for something before spending it. I drew up a budget last spring for our next vacation in advance; I made it frugal, hunted deals, set our goal, and for six months my partner and I lived even poorer than usual to set aside money for the trip. It made the whole vacation guilt-free without deepening our debt. God drat that felt good.

-I then inherited a complete (and unearned) bailout on my remaining debt. Thanks to the clarity I'd gained regarding my finances, I knew exactly how hard to come by that sum would be for me, and chose to treat what was left over as windfall that cannot fundamentally change my ability to spend. It's still set aside for emergencies like it should be.

-I got my periodic bills whittled down as far as they can go and quit smoking a couple years ago, which to date has saved me $5200 I couldn't really have afforded to spend.

-Went back to school, and am on track to get a technical certification this summer.

Now that I am living within my means and aware of just how poor my income & cost of living makes me, soon I will have to tackle the next hurdle: facing interview anxiety, potentially greater job volatility, and applying for jobs in the hopes of something more interesting that pays me enough to do more than break even.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU