Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I got fired from a T-mobile store about 3 weeks ago for saying that T-mobile coverage wasn't as widespread as Verizon to a manager, and for not having a T-mobile phone. So, I decided to start my own marketing business as a vendor for a home builder in northern Virginia.

I work directly with the sales reps to develop and deliver direct marketing materials (doorknockers and flyers). I had been doing it over the summer and made 400-800 a job depending on the quantity I delivered because I was working as a temp through an official vendor for the builder. It was good money then, but I had been toying with the idea of doing it on my own and branching out once I was in a position to negotiate and deal with the home builder directly (at that point I wasn't).

Fast forward to me getting fired and I'm livid. This is the second time this year I've been fired from a company for bullshit corporate pettiness and I'm sick of working for someone else. I also refuse to go back to sending out hundreds of resumes to companies I don't even want to work for who won't give me the time of day in the hopes that I will be hired and treated like poo poo at the next gig I land. I spend some time getting my ducks in a row and set myself up as a vendor for the home builder I've been working with. My pay doubled, and the sales reps are beginning to talk about how successful my lead generation has been. Two reps qualified for a trip to the Bahamas due to the increased traffic and sales generated by my deliveries and targeting.

I was making around 14 an hour with commissions at T-mobile and getting 400 bucks or so every two weeks with one paycheck a month coming in as commissions. Not exactly much. In my new position as a direct vendor for the home builder I'm billing out roughly 6k a month for development and delivery. That's my first month as an independent vendor, and there are indications that the springtime will be an even bigger boon. I've also been asked to write copy and help with the design of the materials going out for delivery, which I will incorporate into the per-unit cost of delivering them.

I have jobs planned out for January, and am in the process of extending my network from Winchester Virginia, to inside the Beltway of DC, down to Richmond VA, and all the way out to Charlottesville VA. My expenses for the month of December included gas for my car and some sandwiches at WaWa. Everything else was profit.

So, just like that, I'm a small business owner and I couldn't be happier. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So, a while back I posted something about getting fired from T-mobile for having a Verizon phone and starting my own marketing business as a vendor for custom home builders throughout the northern virginia area. I had been delivering fliers to apartments usually in low volumes, say 2k or 5k per job paying 75 cents a unit.

I just got a job from a new home builder to get 30k units out in one week at 75 cents per unit.

I don't even know what the gently caress :wow:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

You need work? Hiring? :P

I'm actually going to be hiring people that I know first and then looking to pick people up on a per job basis as time goes on. Pay for workers is 30 cents a unit.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So my fist major run of fliers is almost done, with just around 2k more to pass out tomorrow. I also have another approved job for the following week for an additional 3k fliers to do around Fairfax VA.

Total fliers for March will be 38400. 38400 x .75 = $28800.

I'm going to be paying roughly 9k out just for the people that helped deliver them but considering I started this business out of nothing in December and am going to have a net profit of around $19800 after quitting my lovely cell phone sales position in December, I'd say that I'm doing pretty loving good. :wow:

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

So, a while back I posted something about getting fired from T-mobile for having a Verizon phone and starting my own marketing business as a vendor for custom home builders throughout the northern virginia area. I had been delivering fliers to apartments usually in low volumes, say 2k or 5k per job paying 75 cents a unit.

I just got a job from a new home builder to get 30k units out in one week at 75 cents per unit.

I don't even know what the gently caress :wow:

So, fast forward from this six months out.

I hit my financial goal for what I wanted to earn with my business by August, in April, and have put a considerable amount on top of that. I may have picked up large projects with two different builders, and I did 14k units in June so in one month I made ::pulls out calculator:: 10.5k - 1k for subcontracting out to a family friend and my younger brother to lighten my load a bit. There were some expenses too like gas in my car, but that's about it if you don't count a trip to subway while I'm out here and there.

The coming month, which I projected to be dead, could be a month where I move anywhere from 20k-40k units and gross anywhere between 15-30k in sales. I would give more of an exact number but homebuilders are literally the most fickle group of professionals I've ever been involved with and what they will do tomorrow is anyone's guess. I'm amazed so many are still in business to be honest.

Still though, to be this far ahead in my first six months of owning my own business is pretty loving cool and I am beyond psyched that things are gaining even more momentum. I also lost 15 pounds from running up and down stairs. To give you an idea of how many I do regularly, a few weeks ago I did 920 units in under 3 hours. 16 units a building with 4 floors to each building. I went up and down roughly 250 stories in 3 hours. Luckily, I've done enough of this that despite the insane work, I hardly get sore anymore. Just tired from not being able to keep up on the calories I need to actually do it all myself.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

kansas posted:

Sorry maybe I am just dense but what is it you are actually doing? Either way congrats on the success!

I do direct marketing for home builders in the DC metro area. Doorhangers basically. I do a lot of research about what targets make the best targets for different communities for various reasons, but it boils down to putting fliers on doors at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

Every time I get one of these in NoVa I'm assuming it's you handing me that trash so I'm boo'ing you.

Booooooo.

No but seriously I get so many of these in a rental townhouse community and it makes no sense.

Where are you located?

You might get them and throw them in the trash, but I know for a fact it's brought in a lot of buyers in the last year. A LOT. For one sales rep, they've gotten 11-12 sales off of them in the last year alone. That's a shitload of business in the home building world.