Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My wife and I work at the same place and today the board approved a cost of living increase to go along with our merit raises (we're local government, basically) so we're both getting a 4.5% boost this year. Not earth shattering but I'll gladly take what I can get, hopefully it will counteract the "tax cliff" thing if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just received approval of my request to remove PMI from my mortgage. It was only $17.10 since we refinanced last summer, but hey - free money!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Not all that exciting but we canceled our dish subscription. Saving $69/mo (after counting netflix) isn't too shabby!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

canyoneer posted:

Congratulations!
Since you mentioned it, I just bought a house and it has a satellite dish left behind. Are those worth a non-zero resale amount on Craigslist or eBay?

Pretty sure they're worth nothing. We had a DirectTV one on our house and the only remotely valuable part in the LNBs. The only reason I know that is Dish had me send them back with the receiver and remote.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Another incremental improvement to report. Today we had out health insurance meeting. Changing our insurance plan to one that is a smaller network. We've been very fortunate thus far with our health so we're taking a gamble I guess but they claim 90% of the people don't need the larger network, and when they use it it's mostly for pre-existing conditions. So hopefully we won't regret that. In the end it looks like we're going to be saving ~$90/mo net.

Quick tally of the last couple of months:
+ Saved $17/mo on PMI removed from our mortgage
+ Saved $76/mo from eliminating Dish Network
+ Save ~$90/mo from health insurance change
- Spending $8 on netflix

About a $175/mo decrease in monthly expenses :woop: On the other hand we're fixing up our house so money is seemingly flying out the window, but at least we're doing it ourselves and probably saving 90% of the cost of paying someone to do it.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 13, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't really care about my credit score since I don't want to borrow money again, but since I got a lowes card a few months back and started using it (paying it in full each time, of course), my credit score jumped almost 20 points this month. 831, holy gently caress.

Useless bragpost, I know. Just wanted to share somewhere.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

moana posted:

Congrats dev, that is kickass!

This month is a good month: my retirement savings just passed the 100k mark, something I'd hoped would happen before I turned 30, success! And my boss just gave me a $6600 bonus :v:

That is definitely something to be proud of, nice job! Both my wife and I are over 30 and we've yet to hit $100k combined :( Bleh.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Another incremental improvement to report. Today we had out health insurance meeting. Changing our insurance plan to one that is a smaller network. We've been very fortunate thus far with our health so we're taking a gamble I guess but they claim 90% of the people don't need the larger network, and when they use it it's mostly for pre-existing conditions. So hopefully we won't regret that. In the end it looks like we're going to be saving ~$90/mo net.

Quick tally of the last couple of months:
+ Saved $17/mo on PMI removed from our mortgage
+ Saved $76/mo from eliminating Dish Network
+ Save ~$90/mo from health insurance change
- Spending $8 on netflix

About a $175/mo decrease in monthly expenses :woop: On the other hand we're fixing up our house so money is seemingly flying out the window, but at least we're doing it ourselves and probably saving 90% of the cost of paying someone to do it.

Got my first paycheck with our health insurance change, and my guess was pretty good, it'll be about $90/mo difference, which is awesome.

In other (minor) incremental news, my little sister, a recent college grad, is going to be paying towards her own cellphone plan now to our other sister, which will save us another $30/mo. These savings will likely just go to grocery giftcards / care packages for her since her fellowship doesn't pay much at all and we'd like to still do something for her.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

razz posted:

You're paying other people's cell phone bills?

Yes, I'm 9 years older than my younger sister so it was a nice thing we could do for her while she was in college.

I'm surprised how much people question this on here, does no one else like their siblings?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

spinst posted:

Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application: Approved

Amount Forgiven: $10,500

% of Loan Forgiven: 100%

YES! YES! YES!

Completely debt free. :)

That's great. Do you get taxed on the forgiven amount?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

Defiant until the end, I disregarded the BFC advice of 'do never buy' and am buying a house. Whether that's getting either ahead or back behind, I'm not terribly sure.

Oh boy. Congrats anyway. What ever happened with your job? Did you find something else or relocate?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BossRighteous posted:

I am statistically underpaid, working as a developer in a small company. I voiced my concerns about this and the owners were receptive. I presented working part-time for higher pay as a compromise to the increased costs and they have voiced interest. As it stands they can to alter my pay to:
144% of my current salary to continue working on site 40hrs per week
135% of my current salary to work on site 24hrs, remote 16hrs per week
74% of my current salary to work remotely 3 days a week with benefits
105% percent of my current salary to work as a 3 day a week remote contractor (no benefits)
Or of course maintain the current deal or fire me, neither of which they have indicated they would like to do.

We've talked the numbers and the issues, so now they just want time to decide which implementation is best for cost/availability.

I'm pretty floored. For me, time off is more important than the final dollar amount as long as I can pay bills. It also allows for prioritization of tasks, where only the most important jobs will be escalated to me. The tedious bullshit that drags down my hourly rate can finally go to someone with a lower skill set. I'm really glad they understand the value of this reallocation plan.

Final meeting in 2 weeks to discuss the execution plan that will begin Jan 1st. Fingers crossed.

This is really cool. I'm in a similar situation at work and I think if I were in a more stable place in life (aka not 30 and a parent of a young child) I'd definitely think about presenting similar options for my employer. At the moment, I'm paying for the job security with being incredibly busy.

Being a local government employee really limits the types of raises / employment changes anyone working in the private sector can work out, but I really like the different options you've come up with.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

My wife and I work at the same place and today the board approved a cost of living increase to go along with our merit raises (we're local government, basically) so we're both getting a 4.5% boost this year. Not earth shattering but I'll gladly take what I can get, hopefully it will counteract the "tax cliff" thing if nothing else.

Quoting myself from last year. This year the board approved a 2.5% cost of living increase. My wife and I still receive merit increases of 2.5% so it's an effective 5% raise for each of us. My approximate calculations say this is right around a $250/mo net increase, which will certainly come in handy.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

razz posted:

Phone stuff

If you just have dumbphones (and don't use them a whole lot), you could probably do just a tracfone or something and get one of the phones that doubles your minutes that you buy. I think it's one of the cheapest ways to have a cellphone if they're just occasional use type things. Just FYI.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea that's really really awesome. You should be proud, Guinness!

I have a weird milestone incremental improvement. Just a few weeks ago my checking/savings + retirement accounts have a larger balance than my mortgage, so in quicken I'm finally seeing a black number instead of a red one. This isn't taking any equity in our home into account, so it's more like a (semi)liquid net worth.

Since someone is going to ask - Money market = Savings. Christmas Shares = Car/Life insurance, home heating expenses, etc. Regular shares = Car maintenance / repair

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I got a raise at work today. I've been "the only guy" on a hilariously enormous project here at work and administration recognized the effort I've been putting in. Between this jump and our annual merit raises (and possible cost of living), it should be around a 10% jump between now and January.

I deserve more, but we're public sector and things like this happen very rarely here so I'll take it. We're having our second child in 2 weeks and my wife will be off for 3 months so it comes at a good time, as well.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Pro:
- I opened a 529 educational savings plan for my 4 week old daughter today

Con:
- My son's 529 monthly recurring deposit is now halved thanks to his sister. Sorry dude!
- It's not "no student loan worries" kind of money. Sorry kids! This might get you through a year if we're lucky.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

moana posted:

Holy woot, just broke a quarter million dollars in income for the year! If you had told little kid me that someday I would be writing novels for a living, I would not have believed it. I doubt I'll pull it off again next year since I'd like to work less, not more, but saving most of this year's money should last me a while :v:

:drat:

Nice work moana

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
+ Last month we paid off our new car we bought in August (2015 Hyundai Sonata)
+ My wife and I received 4.5% raises which will be an additional ~$240/mo net
+ I bought YNAB to get us away from looking at our bank account and instead assigning jobs to dollars
+ (Non financial) Work is finally slowing down a bit so I can enjoy keeping my work to work hours.

- Next month two kids will be going to daycare to the tune of ~$1100/mo, but at least my wife will start getting paychecks again soon and if we're YNABing better we'll be fine.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

moana posted:

Yeah, well--

no, poo poo, you're right. I actually got so far as making the cover before realizing that I should be shooting for the FSOG audience with my new one, a billionaire dating reality TV show premise. It'll be funny, but that won't be the angle I use to market it. Another writer friend of mine hit the top 10 on Amazon with a romantic comedy marketed as billionaire romance, so it looks like that's where I'm headed (the marketing, not top 10. Although, crossing my fingers!)

I popped in here to say that I just maxed my roth for this year. It sucks not knowing what I can put in my solo 401k until I get my taxes done so hey, gotta get my taxes done!

How do richy riches like you even get to fund a roth? :colbert:

Nevermind, AGI limits for Roth is like $181k and you're probably getting boned pretty hard for taxes on your sales.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
At almost 33, my retirement savings (403b, Roth IRA) are about 130% of my current annual salary. Including my wife's retirement savings, we're right around 104% of our annual salary.

I think I read a really general rule of thumb somewhere to have 1 years salary in retirement by age 30 or something, so I think we're not too far behind the ideal.

The only thing that I have going for me is that I've been in the workforce for 13 years. We should honestly be saving much more towards retirement but with two kids in daycare, a 15 year mortgage, we're front-loading a lot of expenses it seems.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
In an unprecedented double-post I got the paperwork filled out today to move my Roth IRA to Vanguard to one of their target funds because I'm lazy and clueless. I was going to do this a year or two ago and then :effort: "Getting the paperwork filled out" involved opening an account at a local bank since I needed a medallion signature guarantee and they won't do it for non-members. Oh well, will be good to have a local bank that I can bug for stupid poo poo, use their change machine, etc.

I plan to move my wife's Roth IRA as well, using mine as the test case.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

Just got a 15% raise after getting an 11% raise last year (that had put me at low-six figures). Maxing all retirement accounts, here I come :hellyeah:

Very cool!

My incremental improvement is paying a lawyer to setup our will / living will / trust / blah blah stuff so if my wife and I were killed we have our poo poo in order. Basically paying them so we can casually mention in conversation our "kid's trust fund" as if we had money.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

For the past year I've been adding additional principle payments to my mortgage every month. My original loan terms were $203K with a fixed rate 30 year mortgage at 6.75% in 2009. I financed way too much of the value of the home.

In August the monthly interest finally got down into 3 figures.

Today I did the math and if I went to just minimum payments today, I should be paying it off in 13 years, 5 months. In the past year I knocked over 10 years off the life of the loan. If I can sustain double payments I can clear it in 5 years. I got the mortgage when I was making just a tad over 50% of what I earn now, and have been adding between 66% and 100% of my minimum payments in principle reduction instead of blowing it on frivolous consumer goods.

:feelsgood:

Did/Do you not have enough equity to refinance? That's a pretty turd sandwich rate. We went from 5.75% in 2009 (30 yr) to 3.375% (15yr) in 2013 and our payment only went up ~$80/mo (which was a wash since we had been putting $100 towards principal each month on the 30yr).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
We got our tax return today (which was way too much) and it's been blissfully boring trying to figure out what to do with the money.

I very much credit YNAB and just better overall planning in general to being at the point where we're like "Uhhhh, so what do we do with this extra month of income? Save it, I guess?" There is nothing that we immediately need, and one really expensive medical mistake has already been budgeted and saved for so it's just uninspired "Extra money to all YNAB savings categories" kind of thing. It's glorious.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Devian666 posted:

Congrats on the positive net worth. It's a major milestone that I like seeing around here.

I'm finally looking at my first refinancing on my house. Interest rates have dropped a couple of percent since I purchased so I'll be changing half of the mortgage to a 15 year repayment term which should only lead to a minor increase in my current payments. Still waiting on feedback as to what my mortgage broker will come back with, but it is good to know that I'll pay less interest and the proportion of interest in my payments will decrease rapidly from now on.

I did this a few years ago. We went from 5.75% (30yr) to 3.375% (15yr) and my payments went up about ~$80 or something.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Changed my auto and home insurance today, will save me $515 next year for same/better coverage :toot:

I also submitted my request to my lender to remove escrow from my mortgage, I could never find an escrow statement to see if payments were made on time (get discounts for property taxes if they're paid early) and to me it was kind of a black box. I'd rather just build that into my budget and pay an extra ~3 bills per year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

sweet_jones posted:

This is interesting, will most lenders support removing escrow? Are there unique requirements to qualify for this with your lender?

My lender (a rad credit union, if it matters) only had the requirement of being 80% LTV, so pretty much just like removing PMI. All I had to do is fax a letter requesting the escrow to be closed and presumably they're working on it now.

I believe I read somewhere that FHA loans are required to carry escrow for the life of the loan (I have a conventional mortgage).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It's the very definition of incremental improvement, but my wife and I both work at the same local government agency. We were approved for raise/cost of living increase this year for 5% overall. Doesn't sound like much, but it works out to about ~$290 net per month, which is great considering we're living pretty comfortably as it is. In fall 2017 my oldest will be starting school which will save us another ~$500/mo on daycare as well.

There will be a supervisor position opening early 2017 which I will be applying for, the immediate pay increase wouldn't be much but I'd eventually max-out about 15% more. We'll see what happens. :toot:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The great idiocy of many people in my generation is to sum these numbers up and decide they mean "nothing." Very nicely done, and keep up the good work.

Thanks! Sometimes it's hard to stay positive while we're no where near "max 401k / Roth" money, but there is something to be said for thoughtful planning and spending at all income levels. Don't get me wrong, we're more than double the national median income in a low cost of living area so we're not exactly going hungry. It's just 15 year mortgage and kids in daycare and Roth/529 adds up to about half our net pay. But short term pain will make paying off our house and kids out of daycare so so sweet.

pig slut lisa posted:

I work for a local gov't too (one that's in pretty good financial shape) and our COLAs have been 2.5% the past few years with a max performance raise of 1.5% (although even top performers end up getting around 1%). Well done!

Ours is a little different, even from other local government agencies around here. We have a pay steps A-Q for each payscale code 35, 38, 41, 43, etc. And assuming our annual reviews are positive enough, we get a pay step increase (41A->41B or 35L->35M or whatever) maxing out at Q. They're 2.5% steps, and we got a 2.5% COLA this year so it was a good year. There has been some talk about going to variable performance-bases merit increases, but I doubt it'll happen.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

As far as incremental improvements BFC, how did everyone do with the holidays? We overspent but not by more than $100, which I consider to be a resounding success.

Looks like we'll be right on budget, we estimated $1200 for christmas. Before everyone freaks out, that includes pretty much everything christmas related, complete estimates:

Gifts for kids ~400
Gifts for spouse / me ~150
Gifts for close family / friends ~200
Gifts for daycare teachers ~90
Other random gift exchanges ~50
Christmas card / stamps ~100
Christmas decor ~50
Christmas hosting food / drink ~150

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah, budgeting for Christmas as a year round expense is really going to enable us to enjoy it more next year. As is, we've only just switched toward actively budgeting it so we were a little more modest this year than I expect we'll be in the future.

I got fairly annoyed last year that even post-christmas we were having christmas expenses so we tried to account for most of our expenses. Sounds like a lot of money, but it goes fast. To be fair, I don't think our kids even needed $200 each in gifts, they don't really need much of anything. But those years are probably numbered.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If you want to model responsible financial behavior for your kids, try to keep Christmas simple: something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read.

Easier said than done, but you don't want their friends or your family feeling like they have to keep up with the spending that you planned for over the course of the year. Lots of families don't have the means that we do, but that doesn't mean our kids should rub it in their faces with sacks full of toys.

I just heard of this the other day, I really like the idea. Might be something to consider in the coming years, I think it might work a little better when the kids are old enough to understand it, but maybe not.

Either way, should be a fun christmas year. Kids (5 and 2) are just about perfect age for being excited about everything, no matter how dumb the gift.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
This is not one-upsmanship because I'm not really paying much extra on my mortgage, but for the first time the balance is under $100k :toot:

Pretty awful considering we've been paying on it 7.5 years and only dropped ~$35k in principal :effort:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Anyone have any estimates of what a decent spending amount would be in retirement? I ran the personal capital retirement tool and I'm curious what I should reasonably set my spend rate at. I know it's a dumb question that varies a lot, I put in 40k as our home will be paid for and we live in a fairly low cost of living area. 50k?

e:
The tool was giving us a "good job bro" rating for both 40k and 50k withdrawl rate with our details (130k saved, taking social security at 62, retiring at 60, assuming our contributions are constant - when the should be increasing). I just don't know what a reasonable spend rate is and how optimistic I should be.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 14, 2017

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

Congrats! It's an awesome feeling . I think the only regret I have about doing it is that I kick myself sometimes for not realizing it sooner.

Yea, I've been a pretty good at living within my means for a while, but it wasn't until I started "spend to your budget, not your bank balance" that things really clicked for me. It's painfully obvious having a specific plan (in my case - rather detailed) for my money is the best way to manage it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Grumpwagon posted:

Yeah, the counter-intuitive part of financial success is that it gets easier, even as the numbers to get to the next step get larger. Saving that first $1000 is huge (and frankly, 25 is not that old to be getting there, especially with no credit card debt and some retirement).

Can confirm. ~10 years ago when I was just getting started in my debt free journey I thought I'd never be able to save up a few thousand dollars to buy a (lovely) car. It's pretty crazy how quickly your mindset and financial picture can change with planning and moderate discipline.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Very cool, tactical shitpost. I was hoping to have our house paid off by the time I turned 40, but that's not happening what with children and life - 42 or 43 should be doable. That would be right around 15 years to pay off.

A small contribution to the thread, but with the market going apeshit our retirement accounts have grown nicely this year. My spouse and I are both 35ish and we have a little over 1.5 times our annual gross income in retirement accounts. I'm not sure if there is any particular metric for "have X% of your income by age Y in retirement savings", but I imagine we're doing pretty well considering we're not even close to living the "annual contribution limits" life.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

A small contribution to the thread, but with the market going apeshit our retirement accounts have grown nicely this year. My spouse and I are both 35ish and we have a little over 1.5 times our annual gross income in retirement accounts. I'm not sure if there is any particular metric for "have X% of your income by age Y in retirement savings", but I imagine we're doing pretty well considering we're not even close to living the "annual contribution limits" life.

Hey remember that time I said about the market going apeshit? :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Improvement-ish 1:
- We're down to 2 nice vehicles (from 4 - 3 lovely, one nice) for the first time in a long time.

But at what cost?
- Because truck equity

There is something to be said for having two newer, nice, dependable vehicles. I had been putting a lot of money into our used cars to keep them on the road and still driving around old hoopties, I'm probably paying twice as much for a new truck as I was keeping our old cars on the road. So I took the plunge and finally bought what I wanted. Luckily, my wife's car is paid off (2017 Accord) so living with one vehicle payment isn't too bad so far.

While this isn't necessarily a financial gain, it is absolutely a quality of life improvement - one less thing to stress over. The payment fit better than I thought into our budget and it hasn't been a burden so far.

Improvement 2:
Another improvement is a ~5% raise this year for our household. Not earth-shattering, but appreciated. Next year will be the last year of full-time daycare payments, then we're really going to feel rich with ~$600+ a month being saved.