Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Alternatively, gently caress stupid people who make bad decisions and get a shirt that said "Debt Free" to wear around her.

Congrats. You did a good thing. You basically did something in the US as rare and difficult as maintaining a decent bodyfat %.

If someone's going to drag you into a personal conversation that's completely unrelated to work, then whatever. If someone at work was complaining about their STDs, their kids, their recent car accident, etc. and nudged you to agree and you responded with "I'm clean/no kids/No accidents recently" it's not so much bragging as "No I live a healthy lifestyle."

Yeah, I'd probably have joined in complaining about how horrible debt used to be; but maybe that's worse bragging, rather than commiseration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Earth posted:

With an attitude like that I'm surprised you didn't refer to kids as "crotch spawn!" Also, car accidents are just that, accidents. Has nothing to do with a healthy lifestyle.

Why would I?

And no, tons of people in accidents are in them because they don't pay attention to the road, are texting, or suck at driving in general. The term car accident is just a phrase we use to make idiots feel less bad about riding up someone's rear end like a jackass on the road.

More importantly: I don't care. As you said, they're co-workers, not friends. You don't have to be ashamed about being in a good place in your life. If he was going around shoving it in people's faces who didn't care (and yeah there are people who feel this way about other people's kids), it would be different.

The second someone begins a conversation with "Hey, let's talk about the intimacies of my personal life!" bets are off.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

So, a while back I posted something about getting fired from T-mobile for having a Verizon phone and starting my own marketing business as a vendor for custom home builders throughout the northern virginia area. I had been delivering fliers to apartments usually in low volumes, say 2k or 5k per job paying 75 cents a unit.

I just got a job from a new home builder to get 30k units out in one week at 75 cents per unit.

I don't even know what the gently caress :wow:

You need work? Hiring? :P

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

I'm actually going to be hiring people that I know first and then looking to pick people up on a per job basis as time goes on. Pay for workers is 30 cents a unit.

I live in your area and I'm a fan of part time work while on the job search. If you have any listings up, just yell (probably in the job postings thread).

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

I do direct marketing for home builders in the DC metro area. Doorhangers basically. I do a lot of research about what targets make the best targets for different communities for various reasons, but it boils down to putting fliers on doors at the end of the day.

Every time I get one of these in NoVa I'm assuming it's you handing me that trash so I'm boo'ing you.

Booooooo.

No but seriously I get so many of these in a rental townhouse community and it makes no sense.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

Where are you located?

You might get them and throw them in the trash, but I know for a fact it's brought in a lot of buyers in the last year. A LOT. For one sales rep, they've gotten 11-12 sales off of them in the last year alone. That's a shitload of business in the home building world.

Around GMU. I completely get that it's a combination of numbers game and targeting home owners, of which there are thousands upon thousands around here, but out neighborhood is 100% rentals, so it's always weird/funny/annoying that we get as much as we do.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

BossRighteous posted:

I am statistically underpaid, working as a developer in a small company. I voiced my concerns about this and the owners were receptive. I presented working part-time for higher pay as a compromise to the increased costs and they have voiced interest. As it stands they can to alter my pay to:
144% of my current salary to continue working on site 40hrs per week
135% of my current salary to work on site 24hrs, remote 16hrs per week
74% of my current salary to work remotely 3 days a week with benefits
105% percent of my current salary to work as a 3 day a week remote contractor (no benefits)
Or of course maintain the current deal or fire me, neither of which they have indicated they would like to do.

We've talked the numbers and the issues, so now they just want time to decide which implementation is best for cost/availability.

I'm pretty floored. For me, time off is more important than the final dollar amount as long as I can pay bills. It also allows for prioritization of tasks, where only the most important jobs will be escalated to me. The tedious bullshit that drags down my hourly rate can finally go to someone with a lower skill set. I'm really glad they understand the value of this reallocation plan.

Final meeting in 2 weeks to discuss the execution plan that will begin Jan 1st. Fingers crossed.

Yeah there's a small nagging voice in the back of my head that says "You know, past cost of living increases, you could probably live on this salary for the rest of your life pretty comfortably" and accepting/hunting for positions that are fewer hours worked as a form of compensation as my value rises; it's an interesting concept that would be excellent to gain traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

spwrozek posted:

A lot of the construction industry, many utilities, a lot of the big civil engineering consulting firms, somehow it is even getting into the software engineering (based on a bunch of my friends). I know a lot of people who have taken the PMP and everyone thinks it is a big money grab and a joke. I mean you take a 40 hour class just for the right to take the exam. I know a few people who never have done any PM work who passed the exam. It is just pretty crazy.

Its huge in federal contracting.