Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I haven't posted much in here, but in the past 3 years my wife and I have been able to clear off $15000 in total debt, buy a house (not like we should have, and it was a huge pain in the loving rear end), get two cars that aren't going to fall apart at any second.

I still have about $3000 in credit card debt, and my $1200 in savings that we finally built up is going to be wiped because I ran over a road pylon and hosed my car up. Insurance covered most of it, but my deductible I had to cover and some other ancillary expenses.

I'm also putting into a 401k (not taking full advantage of matching pay because it hits my paycheck too hard right now).

My wife and I use our credit cards for day to day purchases, but the ones I use for Gas and hers gets paid off every week. Mine (The 3k one) is being chiseled down.

So I still have the goals of: Pay the CC off, go full on matching 401k, get the cars paid off, then we get to spend more money on house maintenance and other stuff. Stupid roof being 10k+ to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Each. You gotta take both too.

It sucks that those tests are so worthless but so many companies require them and they're that damned expensive.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I've knocked 6k off my negative net worth since I started using YNAB earlier in the year. It's not nearly as good as it should be, and we're still over extended. Our Assets have been surprisingly steady. It's a slow process, but I"m kind of proud of myself. Before I took control of our finances our spending was out of control. This is even with a baby and my job being lost and on unemployment for 2 months.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A tiny thing in a sea of debt, I finally paid off one of my loans. Now to nix the others.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Somehow, last year, we managed to increase our net worth to only -15k (from -26k), even with me being out of work for 6 months. Though, because of that, we have no savings and I had to withdraw my 401k to pay bills one month. Actual debt reduction was close to 15k so there's that. Still a long road ahead, just trying to stabilize now that I have a job again.

e: I suppose I had better reassess my car values, they'll probably drop again.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 16, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Finally got hired on at the school I've been working at. Probably about a 17% raise overall, get to finally get my hands on some dirty dirty IT action to possibly move up later in life. Finally get insurance.

Now to see if they offer HSA/FSA accounts and how much I can put in. Hoping for HSA, but we'll see.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Got another small bill paid off (Only 66 a month), and got a 5/hr raise (Moved into a new role). :woop:

Had another kid :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Feels good to have another debt down, and now I have an extra bit going to other loans to try and snowball those down. Hope to have all the non mortgage and credit cards gone in 3 years maximum, 2 years possibly with next years taxes being thrown at the debt.