Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
March 8th, I had -$550, no job, and had just relocated halfway across the country because...I was broke, and while i had a job out there due to some dick moves by family members my work-from-home plans fell through.

Today, I have two jobs, still have -$26 net, but I also got a car registered, have had to pay $300 in rent to my sister, and took care of various other miscellaneous expenses (medications, etc). By the end of today I'll be in the positive again after getting paid from job #2, since I'm getting cash until he can get me into the payroll system.

So in under a month, I've managed to go from negative money to...well, a less negative amount of money, and taken care of everything that needed to be taken care of, and will be starting april in the black with the intention to remain so for the remainder of my days. And working with YNAB (while grossly overestimating how much I'll be paying/mo for utilities.), it's looking like I'll have $200 extra or so a month to save up to A) have an emergency fund for the first time ever and B) get my mom's low mileage but in really lovely shape for having 75k/mi on it car all fixed up.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So in 2 months, I now have:

A solid $200 emergency fund that I contribute to every paycheck
Started paying off student loans that have been in collections for over a year
Started paying off a credit card from when I was 18 that has a 7500 balance on it and was charged off by citi but has since bounced to like 4 different collection agencies. I just wanna pay it off and be done with it.
My own apartment
[i]spending money[i]

All this from being 550 in the red and with nowhere to live and no job march 8th.

My goal is to by this time next year be debt free and able to afford a nice little condo or townhouse with my mom. (she's not in the best of health and living with my sister is not helping things at all.) Considering that 10% down on a nice little townhouse or condo is all of 8800, that's a totally doable savings goal between the two of us by next year. Hell, that's a totally doable savings goal for *each* of us to avoid PMI. There's even the perfect unit that the seller's agent doesn't sound too hopeful about moving at all in the near future.