Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This week I set up a First Home Saver account because the Australian government will contribute 17% into the account if I save between $1000-6000 per financial year.
Obviously I'm not planning on buying a house any time soon, however 17% is an amazing return and I can roll the money over into my superannuation if I decide not to buy a house after all.

What really makes this an incremental improvement is I'm not worried about having the money locked away - I know I have enough savings for any emergencies that pop up.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Good at life, bad with money - buying a house with my husband! Do never buy.

Good with money, neutral at life - got a new job that starts in a few weeks, 7k pay bump, office is a 30 minute bike ride from my new house. I'm now at the point I need to consider putting more into retirement (so I remain in a lower tax bracket).

A coworker at my current job keeps telling me if I don't like it I can come back, haha.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

While it is good to put more money to retirement, I just want to make sure that you understand that tax rates are marginal and there is no inherent advantage to being in a lower tax bracket.

Yes, I do know this! However, I also have shares on top of my income, so my actual income tends to look a fair bit higher than my wages only income and I hate owing money at tax time. Match that with retirement savings only getting taxed at 15% rather than my marginal rate (~30%) and there being yearly limits for how much I can contribute and it looks very attractive to do so!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

The first BFC thread I started reading (besides the rules) was the zaurg thread. I would have been about 19 or 20 at the time and I'd read a page or two a day while at uni. That thread - and BFC in general, really - made me the finance weirdo I am today. It really feels like a lifetime ago and I reckon all that reading I did then has helped me substantially over the years. Thanks, Goons!

My incremental improvement is that I am pretty confident I will have 1.5x my current salary in my superannuation (retirement account) before I turn 31 this year (barring any unforeseen disasters).

To get there, I tossed in whatever I could whenever I could over the past 10+ years, and compound interest did the rest. I was earning slightly above minimum wage until I was about 25 or 26, and during that time I took advantage of a few government schemes that offered top up money for retirement - as in, the government would give me fifty cents to a dollar for every $1 I voluntarily out in up to a certain dollar amount (usually $500 or $1000). It really does add up!

Edit: My employer does have to put some money into my superannuation, so I guess this isn't that impressive, but it was likely all the small contributions from when I was younger/poorer that got me over the line.

I could (maybe should?) have more saved for retirement, but my partner and I bought a house (do never buy) and ETF shares (pretty neat) instead.

froglet fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 30, 2021