Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:toot:

I hope to have this licked by the end of next year. I'd have had a much better curve for the first three months but the animals ate up around $1700.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I took a look at my reports and noticed I'd also scratched into the $100k club, back in October, but only because of real estate equity giving me an $11.2k boost. Still, it's kinda cool to see :shobon:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 28, 2019

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
One account for the mortgage debt, one account for the appraised value of the house.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 3, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TraderStav posted:

Keep on your path, you're doing great. It never feels like it until one day you'll look back and see how far you came, one step at time. Keep making those steps forward and not backward and you'll get there. Excellent work!

This. If I look at my Net Worth graphs in the default 3mo span I feel like I'm getting little headway. Then I look at my year and

[Primary Checking vs all unsecured debt]

I sometimes feel like I've not been putting much away month-to-month, which subsequently makes it seem like I'm just treading water, but looking back, being able to take those triple paycheck months (and our year-in-advance tax credit) and socking the entire thing into the hole tells me I'm making headway.

Still hoping I can have this poo poo licked by the end of 2020. That would be real nice. I'm currently throwing at least $450/mo at this thing. That's just insane to me now. I could do so much with that. I mean, gently caress, that's another goddamn grocery bill, or a maxed IRA contribution. Hell, it's fifteen-goddamn-percent of my annual income.

I think more than anything, seeing that number at the top every time I open YNAB, that huge amount of dollars just going towards digging out of past bad decisions, it's like financial tinnitus, only eventually there's a cure.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Today I hit what I think is a bit of a milestone. I've reduced my balance enough to have under $100 in interest, $96.91. Since May 2019, I have paid down $7543.09, current average of $538.79/mo.

Yeah most of my gains are "three check" months, and that $1200 of Trumpy Fun Bux certainly didn't hurt, but I was still able to take those windfalls and throw them in the hole. That's a win to me!

Next month I'll have paid off one of the BT cards, and will be throwing another $3500 at another BT offer on the same card. I'm almost certain that by the end of August I'll have cleared all interest-bearing unsecured debt, definitely will by the end of September.

After that, I'll get back to strict Rule 4 implementation (you can see where I toyed with that in early 2020, but decided the extra interest load was too much) and start paying extra on the car note to clear it away. No timeline on that yet, it's a bit far out and I'd like to see how my situation looks in September before setting anything in stone.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 14, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Minor update, but exciting nonetheless: First credit card statement with no interest charges! Not really sure how, as I hadn't paid the card to zero yet, but they certainly weren't there.

5k (was once 13.8k) left to go.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 17, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Minor update, but exciting nonetheless: First credit card statement with no interest charges! Not really sure how, as I hadn't paid the card to zero yet, but they certainly weren't there.

5k (was once 13.8k) left to go.

Yup I am officially in "Pay statement in full" territory with 1000+ left in Checking. Only remaining items with interest are the mortgage (3.75%) and car note (5.84%).

Goddamn, that feels good. Not quite ready to put it on autopay but drat close.

Happy/sad but this will go even faster now that I've canceled my 401k contribution, due to my cash-strapped company canceling 401k match :suicide: [DISCLAIMER: THIS IS AN EDGE CASE YOU SHOULD ALMOST ALWAYS CONTRIBUTE TO GET FULL MATCH]

Some of this "extra" is probably going to get dumped into funding IT certs for my imminent career shift, but everyone else that's gotten canned in the last few years has gotten a nice severance package, so I'm going to attempt to ride it out. Also finding another 40k job with a mere high school diploma has proven... difficult, to say the least.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 7, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The above is just my Checking/Primary credit card but goddamn it feels good.

Still have a car note, a 0% balance transfer, and the house (not shown), but holy poo poo it's been a journey.

And here's the little poo poo responsible for no less than $4100 of expenditure this last year :argh: Those dips in Aug, Sep, and Dec are solely his doing.

He is the bestest sweetest boy and I will hear nothing contrary on the matter

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 20, 2021

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Still have a car note, a 0% balance transfer, and the house (not shown), but holy poo poo it's been a journey.

Scratch the car note, paid it off with the ARPA check :whatup: One step closer! That just leaves the 0% balance transfer, due to be paid off in July. I am officially off the interest grind!

However, there is some bad news, though I kind of saw it coming

Beach Bum posted:

Some of this "extra" is probably going to get dumped into funding IT certs for my imminent career shift, but everyone else that's gotten canned in the last few years has gotten a nice severance package, so I'm going to attempt to ride it out. Also finding another 40k job with a mere high school diploma has proven... difficult, to say the least.

I am being laid off effective 1 April (ain't I a fuckin' fool :suicide:). However, I am getting a nice chunk of severance (about $11k all told) which will provide quite a bit of cushion while I'm on unemployment and searching for a job.

Pretty sure I'm gonna sell the Fit too (the car I just paid off). I need to put a steering rack in it first though, which is gonna be like $500 or so in parts.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 25, 2021

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
This'll probably be my last post in here for awhile, but for the best reason.

I had a bunch of CC debt and a car payment, which I have been working at on and off for the last 4?-ish years. I had a thread that died, and nearly two years ago I got back on the wagon and started grinding, hard.

In June 2019, I had just over $18,000 of debt between the car loan and the credit cards.

As of today, I am net positive on my regular accounts, and only have my mortgage remaining.

I was unfortunately laid off this month, but due to my diligent budgeting and reduced spending over the last two years, along with a healthy severance payment, I now have a net worth of about +$5,000 on my non-investment assets, and I haven't even gotten my first unemployment checks. I have an excellent interim gig as a cabinetry carpenter's assistant/apprentice, a couple other private side gigs bringing in semi-regular income, and an almost unbelievable offer in the industrial power generation industry which will land me a 25% increase over my last salary, starting in Q4.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2021

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Omne posted:

Aaaand just paid off my last student loan!

:hellyeah:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cacafuego posted:

Paid off my student loans on Friday. :toot:

Hell yeah! Good job!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I have more money this month than I did last month

That's all it takes :toot:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Blue Scream posted:

After putting it off for way too long, I finally made a household budget. Nothing fancy, just Google Sheets, but I'll check out the budget megathread for additional tips.

I'll also max out my Roth this year. Feeling pretty good about that :)

I highly recommend YNAB. Good job making positive steps!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Been living on 25k/yr the past two years after leaving a shitbird employer who then sued me, for which I've paid a lawyer $15k (in part thanks to a HELOC). Finally got a full-time position again, tasked with pretty much entirely restructuring the distribution center operation, got a $4/hr raise out of it because I know fuckin' everything and nobody else knows poo poo, getting a fuckton of overtime

and now I am so loving close to being back in the black, though I'll still need to hit up my HELOC for another $20k to pre-pay the attorney's trial hours :shepspends: At least I got a baller fuckin' interest rate (3.99)

I cannot wait until February when all this poo poo is over and done with

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leper khan posted:

JFC. _trial_ hours? Wtf does your former employer think you did? I hope it's more expensive for them than it is for you.

Will you at least be able to recoup costs if it goes in your favor? :ohdear:

Paying trial hours in advance is pretty standard. 5 days, 8-10 hours/day, ~$350-$400/hr.

Tldr they're hosed and if it goes to trial I'm gonna be able to pay off my mortgage with the judgement.

They're alleging data destruction, breach of contract, unjust enrichment.

However, my cross-complaint alleges (with comprehensive evidence) that they misclassified me as salary exempt, this unpaid overtime, unpaid wages (didn't pay my last check). Oh, yeah, did I mention this fuckery is occurring in one of the most employee friendly states in the union? :sun:

If I prevail on the unpaid overtime (yes) or the unpaid wages (lol of course) I get treble damages, attorneys fees, and attorneys fees as damages :smugdog:

I fully expect a settlement offer at the door to the courtroom.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 14, 2023

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Spikes32 posted:

Have you decided in the number (big bigger biggest) you'll need to take the settlement?

Yes.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 14, 2023

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

How did it even get to this point? Do they even have the money to pay you? Because holy moly. :stare:

Even if you did destroy the data they allege you destroyed those wage laws are automatic and statutory penalties and you get up to 30 days further wages for them not paying you. That's just the final paycheck part.

For what it's worth my attorney is equally baffled.

They 100% have the money to pay me, and if they claim they don't there's millions in assets ripe for leins and seizures.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 14, 2023

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'll run it past my lawyer but he didn't counsel me otherwise when he asked the amount for which I'd be willing to settle. My local lawyer advised against seeming greedy and thinks it's the judge's place to assign any punitive damages.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

H110Hawk posted:

Speaking of things you should be running past your attorney - these posts. Don't speculate, and don't disparage. The settlement agreement they will meet you outside the courtroom with will likely include these clauses.

You right :P

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I honestly love the Pedantry.

If there's a place for pedantry it's BFC :eng101:

quote:

various pedantry posts

:swoon: