Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Finally started allocating 5% to my Thrift Savings Plan (federal employee, gov't matches up to 5%). I'm 25, should have done it two years ago but better late than never.

I know the feeling. It took me a couple years before I realized that I was basically leaving free money on the table by not contributing to the match of the TSP. At least those first couple years were only GS-7 and -9 (I'm GS-13 now) but I totally could have afforded to pay the 5% back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Mine just stops at the limit but not every HR is smart as I understand it. If you change jobs you have to watch it yourself though.

You've also got to be careful if you've got matching contributions -- my employer specifically warns us to make sure to get the timing right since they automatically cut off contributions when you hit the max, so then you'll be contributing $0 for the rest of the year, and you therefore won't get a 401k match for the rest of the year.