Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Would your mom be amenable to just adding you as a joint owner to her accounts and then letting you handle all the finances and essentially locking herself out so she doesn’t have to stress about it, like before?

If I were you and your mom was my mom I feel like letting her try to keep handling this herself is going to end up with her being scammed and losing all of her retirement and savings because she clearly doesn’t have the financial competency (from a lifetime of letting someone else handle it probably) to do this. So you can either invest time teaching her properly, or invest time setting up auto payments and consulting with her monthly, or hiring someone else to do it for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I love numbers, so here's some number facts:

English uses the "short scale" when referring to large numbers (large numbers >= 1,000,000,000), while European languages like German (and French) uses the "long scale."

So the word for the number 1,000,000 is million in English and in German it's Million. But then the English word for 1,000,000,000 is billion while the German word for that number is Milliarde. The English word for 1,000,000,000,000 is trillion while in German it's Billion. And so on. The word Trillion in German represents the number 1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

The number 50,000 in English is 50-thousand, 50 times 1000. In Chinese, this is 5-tenthousand, 5 times 10000. This comes up often in finance/money related contexts, like when your mom asks you how much money you're making because your cousin is making twice as much.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SpelledBackwards posted:

And I learned from my relatives in India that rather than anchor to the English million, they anchor to the lakh (100,000) and crore (10,000,000). So 10 lakhs to a million and 10 million to a crore. No idea how often they use those terms outside of money, and maybe even if they use it at all outside of specifically Indian rupees.

They also write their numbers differently.

1 lakh = 1,00,000
1 crore = 1,00,00,000

E: one last fun number fact I learned in grad school is that in I think South America? way people tally marks (like writing IIII and then crossing it to signify 5) is to draw a box! Each tally adds to the box so the 4th tally makes a box and the 5th tally crosses/ticks the box. I thought it was kinda neat.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 14, 2024