Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

On October 31st, I paid off the last of my credit card debt!

It had started out as around $5,000 of debt on a Visa that I had racked up over one summer when I had gotten divorced and had no job, and no stuff. In addition to the Visa, I also bought roughly $5,000 worth of furniture over two years. (The furniture I did pay off relatively quickly because it was one of those "no interest until _____" things, and drat right I wasn't going to pay interest.)

Anyway, I'd make some progress, slip up, take a trip to Europe... or two...

I finally got serious about paying it off about a year ago, when I had roughly $3,000 left to go.

First, I hid the credit card from myself (I actually have no idea where it is... but it's somewhere in my apartment.) Paid $250 a month, and whenever I ended the month with extra money in my account - paid that on it as well. I am a salaried employee, so I occasionally will earn extra money from hourly activities, and any time I did, that went on the card as well.

It's a huge relief as that's the last of the debt I had. I do have student loans out, but I'm currently in a Forbearance until June when I will qualify for loan forgiveness and they will be gone!

Unfortunately, my car is rather old and starting to putter out, so now I'm saving as much as I can as quickly as I can so I can get a newer rig hopefully over the summer.

I'm also a huge fan of mint.com and the Mint app. It really forced me to look at how I spent my money each month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Teacher Loan Forgiveness Application: Approved

Amount Forgiven: $10,500

% of Loan Forgiven: 100%

YES! YES! YES!

Completely debt free. :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

That's great. Do you get taxed on the forgiven amount?

Nope!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Finally have a month's worth of expenses saved for a rainy day... two more to go!

Plus my retirement account finally went over $20k! :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Officially 5 months ahead on car payments! Woo.

38 more months to go. :smithicide:

Though that still puts me at 46 total payments instead of 63 if I stay on track. Not bad I guess!

I will make a couple larger payments so it will be closer to 40 payments, hopefully.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Gonna hit $25k in retirement funds this week! :homebrew:

I'm just about to turn 28, so I don't know if that's a good amount or not, but I'm pretty stoked. I started putting in retirement in 2008/2009 when the poo poo was going down so it took awhile to recover.

Yay me!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Nocheez posted:

According to this website http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-12-20/the-financial-planning-flowchart you should have half your yearly salary saved by the time you are 30. Depending on how much you make, you're probably pretty close.

It's easier to save when you're young and don't have a family. I'd recommend saving 12-15% of your gross income now and learn how to live on the remainder. This will help you be more frugal while also helping to improve your standard of living once you do retire.

Edit: for myself, I just looked and between my 401k and my Roth, I have over $100K saved.
:eyepop: Wow, it's hard to believe I've been working for over a decade at my current company.

I definitely have over half my yearly salary. Score! I am a poor teacher, so my salary isn't great, but the benefits certainly are. Plus, pension eventually!

I put 10% gross into my 401(a) and then stick an extra $100 into a Roth IRA. Which puts me right around 13%.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Under 15k left on the car! July's payment will officially put me six months ahead, which was the goal for the end of the year. So, that's good. I guess. Stupid car!

:yaycloud:

spinst fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 2, 2014

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

My first full month of using YNAB was October 2013. So, one full year later my net worth has gone up $20k.

:3:

Yay!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

5k emergency fund is complete! :toot:

Now to save 6k for my last year of grad school! Only 5.9k to go! :arghfist:

Nana has offered to pay for it, but she is also known to change her mind, so… I guess if she doesn't pay for it, I can use it towards my car loan!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Congrats! When the loans for my BA were forgiven, I think I literally screamed.

I am patiently waiting for my second disbursement of loans. I have my Teacher Loan Forgiveness paperwork ready and scanned to upload to Navient's site.

Won't even have to make a payment. Aw yeah.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Under 10k on the car loan to go!

Ugh. :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Way to go! All those little things add up. :)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

When I get paid tonight/tomorrow, my net worth will hit 50k! :sparkles:

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Accepted a new position within my school district for the fall.

13% raise via a stipend. My previous position had a 4% stipend, so I guess it's only a net 9% raise.

But still!

:)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Finishing my Masters degree this week.

Without taking on any debt!

*flex emoji*

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

TNO posted:

After sitting in limbo for what felt like forever, I finally got a start date for my new job. It'll be so nice to have a steady paycheck again, and escaping the midwest is just an added bonus.

Congrats on the new gig! Hope you love it.

I sent in my final car payment this morning! Paid it off 2 years early and am now debt free. Frees up $400 or so a month. Stoked.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on getting rid of that payment! Now to buy a new car, right? :getin:

I hope not! My car is in great shape for being 7 years old. Only has 63k miles! I'm driving this puppy for a long time, I hope.

(Though I am putting ~200 bucks away a month for repairs/eventual new car.)

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Hell yes - way to go!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Awesome! That is the best feeling ever.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

4 years of budgeting:

Thanks, BFC and YNAB!

I've been able to:

Pay off my car loan 2 years early
Pay for grad school in cash
Pay for extra grad-level courses for a new certification in cash, which will give me a new career option
Begin saving for a house
Move 3 times (ugh) without breaking the bank
Start a Roth IRA (while funding my other retirement account with 10% gross)
...and I might even hit 100k net worth by the end of the year!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

BAE OF PIGS posted:

November was a three paycheck month, so I had a bit of extra money this month. I've also had a bit of a cushion built up from being frugal and sticking to my budget. I'm hoping in a few months I'll be able to post in here again to say I'm student loan debt free.

Get at it! You're almost there.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

That's a good lookin' graph!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Just over 8 years of readin' BFC and usin' YNAB. :sun:

also lol at home ownership