Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012
Just got a the final signoff for a promotion with a significant raise (will take me to six figures) and instead of spending the money on a new car (like I usually do) I have put it into a savings and investment plan.

Picking up company shares at a cut rate, got a new accountant with a "tax mitigation strategy" that we are putting into place.

At this rate I should be debt free in about 3 years (including the mortgage on my place).

Just wanted to tell someone really =)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

Started using YNAB this month. Really put me on a track to get out of my CC debt (I zeroed out 2 CCs and have 2 more (the big ones) as well as track all of my transactions and stick to a budget. Learned that budgeting only the money you have and giving every job something to do really helped prevent me from buying random poo poo all of the time. Looking forward to the next few months working like this so I can finally get my stupid ex-gf CC debt cleared out.

Fantastic! Just wait until you can start saving for the larger purchases, the sense of achievement I get from buying something outright that I actually had to sit down and plan out for is a real boost.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Here's how it went down:
Coworkers: [money bitching] Debt sucks, right AG?
Me: Well I actually just paid off my car and my credit card, so I don't have any right now and I'm trying to stay that way because yes it does suck.
Coworker who is horrendously bad with money: UGH STOP BRAGGING!

I usually avoid bringing up finances because of this exact situation happening :(

Your response could have been more along the lines of "Yeah man, sure does" On the flipside, congrats on paying your stuff off!

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

reflex posted:

What the hell...:stare:

I am with you on that one. I get the passive expansion of expenditure to match income if you have no discipline.
I have a car loan, so I can use the interest to offset income tax. Not just because I got a raise.

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Orange_Lazarus posted:

... Most people wouldn't even consider trying what you did because "haggling" (loosely applies here) is considered to be "undignified". Even a tight-wad like me wouldn't consider doing it because I'd assume most companies would just laugh when approached over a discount because why would they give me a discount when they have so many other suckers around willing to pay premium without even thinking about it?

I think that is a part of it. They will get enough sales off people paying full price, but really they would be willing to make more sales at a smaller margin because hey... more money right?

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012
Just paid off my last car loan, felt so good calling them up for the payout figure and making the deposit to close the account.
Now it's just a 3k cc and I am debt free bar the mortgage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omgbees
Nov 30, 2012

Omgbees posted:

Just paid off my last car loan, felt so good calling them up for the payout figure and making the deposit to close the account.
Now it's just a 3k cc and I am debt free bar the mortgage

CC paid off, now just mortgage to go.