Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
An extremely small thing but it's been a month or so since I've ordered stupid collectibles from ebay. Almost fell off the band wagon a couple of times but my journey to curb extraneous spending is going well overall, especially online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Only a wee bit jealous. The last few years my bank account hasn't made enough interest to be taxable, never mind nearly $40 a month.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Baddog posted:

And man, maybe we do need an elder care thread!

We probably do as situations like this will be coming up more often, unfortunately. I'm trying to remember how everything went down when my grandmother got on in years and was unable to manage her finances. My mom played the game of having her name on my grandmother's accounts to keep the assets unavailable to the nursing home and to bypass estate taxes when the time came. I also vaguely remember either my mom or my aunt complaining about a situation where POA wasn't enough to let them do whatever admin that needed doing. There were also some other fun tidbits like finding out the hard way there's an upper age limit to annuities.

Edit: Also yeah, I'm agreeing with the above in an extremely round about way. When my grandmother started slipping into dementia mom had to take the checkbook away as well as binning the junk catalogs before they came into the house to keep her from ordering endless crap. No one of any age needs literally 100 pairs of pants: it was out of sight, out of mind with her. All magazines had to have the subscription cards taken out first as well or else she'd keep sending them in. By constantly doing that she had extended Reader's Digest out to 2023 when she would have been 102 years old. And these are minor wastes of money, we're thankful she didn't fall for bigger scams.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 5, 2024

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

drainpipe posted:

Also, a little embarrassing to admit this, but it's kinda validating because my wife and I are not the super high earners you typically see in the super financially optimized forums (household income being low six figures), but at least we were able to do this.

It gives me hope because I am not a super high earner and neither is my boyfriend. We're not at the stage of combining finances or anything, but again it's hope that it's possible to be able to live and have a decent retirement if we do tie the knot etc, etc. Last I checked, I personally was flirting with 100k total net worth depending on how the markets felt that day, so that's something.