Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...
I just paid off one of my student loans. Of course it was the smallest one. And I still have a ton to pay off. But it still feels like an accomplishment!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I got a letter last week full of legalese basically stating their intention to "aquire the entire right, title and interest in and to said patent." The document is officially titled a "Combined assignment and declaration of patent application." It looks like they will give me ten dollars and they request that I sign, notarize and send this back to them. I can post the full text if necessary.

That's a document that inventors usually sign when the patent application is filed. They're probably offering you the $10 because they hope that you'll sign it and they won't have to jump through some extra hoops in order to finalize the patent application if you refuse to sign it.

This isn't legal advice...from your brief summary, it sounds like the IP belongs to the company and you aren't being swindled, and they're offering you $10 so that they can save some money, time, and effort, but things might be a bit different depending on the entire document and facts.

mongeese fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 20, 2013

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

I finally finished off some private student loans. I dumped $7.5k on them last month. Feels good to get them out of the way, but of course I still have a lot more left in federal student loans.