Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Or you should slow down on your 200k/year hookers and cocaine habit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

leper khan posted:

congrats. it probably doesnt feel any different

I've heard this but was actually kinda surprised how this wasn't that true for me.

We broke this barrier near the end of last month (in our mid-late 30s). While the day to day definitely doesn't feel different, it does feel like a load has been taken off. I guess it's because 1MM has been the next milestone for so long, that it was a relief to finally it over with. Also, based on our spend, we would be able to support ourselves with just one part time job now, furthering the lightness I feel.

Also, a little embarrassing to admit this, but it's kinda validating because my wife and I are not the super high earners you typically see in the super financially optimized forums (household income being low six figures), but at least we were able to do this.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Our household income is currently 130-140k in a M/HCOL city. Definitely comfortable, but not even the income of one doctor or engineer at a tech giant.

While we definitely got lucky with the performance of the market in the last 10 years (which is when I've been saving), it still goes to show that you don't need a stratospheric salary to make it.