Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
After four years of rotating employment through contract gigs and periods of unemployment, I finally got a real salaried gig with benefits and everything! Insurance kicks in September 1st, 401k with 25% matching up to 8% starts in October—and increases by 25% match each year until 100% match at up to 8% of salary. Kind of excited to finally get started. I feel a little late on it, I'm 27, but it's good to finally be putting my stupid English degree to work. Plus picked up The Four Pillars of Investing thanks to the forum recommendation.

On that note I've sorted out my monthly expenses, have started budgeting, and am working on a three-month emergency fund right now. Goal is ~$4k, I've got ~$1k so far. Also, after carrying four digit balances on my credit cards for way too long, I've got my singular remaining card that I'll be keeping for emergencies down to $700, and it'll easily be taken care of in the next few months. Also also, without thinking about it or doing anything other than taking more responsibility for my financial status, my credit score's up from the mid-low 600s to 720. Thanks BFC! :feelsgood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Got a new full-time job for a good company. So I've opened a Roth IRA, looking to max it out for the year before April hits. I'm also depositing 12% of my pay pre-tax to a Vanguard fund through the company 401k, with another 3% match. Just turned 29, better late than never. But at least I've managed debt-free aside from a car payment with a decent emergency fund saved up.

Also new job means my insurance now costs me $30/paycheck pre-tax vs the Washington exchange plan I was on before that blew up to $250/month after I got a contract position. They're also paying for my $90/month transit pass. So in addition to my raise from contractor rates, I'm saving an extra $340 a month with better insurance just by working. Hooray!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Thanks mostly to BFC I'm maxing out my IRA for 2014 for the first time ever before moving on to 2015 to do the same, am contributing 15% of my salary pre-tax to a 401k, have eliminated all debt except for my car payment, have an emergency fund + am a month ahead in my checking account, and I'm effectively budgeting for the first time in my life. Thanks y'all!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Just accepted an offer to transition from a content role with my current company to a technical program manager gig, basically running process, meetings, and project planning for a software development team. Went from the ceiling of my old role to the floor of a new one, with a $15k raise. And my previous manager appreciated me enough that she pushed to get me an 18% bonus for the year. My savings account rejoices!

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Broke six figures in my retirement accounts for the first time! Feels good man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Yearly review=promotion with 15% raise, 12% cash bonus, $21k bonus in RSUs. Not gonna complain :)