Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Achievement Unlocked: One Thousand Benjamins

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:woop:

Happy early 27th birthday to me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

PMP is already a running joke in the small/medium tech company world. Some of the worst PM's I've ever worked with were the types that put "PMP" in their business email signature as if it meant something.

But if you want to go work for some big corp, at least in the short term it might be a bit of a boost but it's not going to get you a job solely on its own. Some of our systems engineering consultants slam out a PMP certification knowing that it's just a hoop to jump through to increase the chances of getting some big-corp consulting contracts. Seems like every 5-10 years there's some new fad certification that enterprises just can't help but getting on board with.

At least it's cheaper than an MBA, I guess.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2015

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BossRighteous posted:

Our last 2 apartments required it for leasing and renewal. It's pretty cheap overall

Yeah, it's dirt cheap and absolutely a good idea.

Also if you already have auto insurance, sometimes renter's insurance can be basically free since you'll often get a multi-line discount that is roughly equivalent to the cost of renter's insurance.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

6% raise, glowing performance review, and new title. :coal:

Not world-changing, but double the typical/average ~3% annual bump at my company. My salary is now 113% higher than it was 5 years ago after graduation :w00t:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I guess it's sort of an achievement that markets taking a huge dump affected my paper net worth by like $25k :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Missed my goal date of my 29th birthday by a little over a week, but this bit of a market rally after the year-plus-long slump, plus a big buy-in during the Brexit panic sell-off and subsequent recovery, finally pushed me over the quarter-million mark for the first time ever.

Granted, this figure now frequently swings by thousands of dollars per day at the whim of the market, but a milestone nonetheless. :toot:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

FateFree posted:

Well I've been waiting 8 months to make this post. Back then I had 5k in credit card debt, 52k in student loans, and no savings. Today I have 0 credit card debt, 0 student loan debt, and 10k in savings.

I worked my rear end off taking side jobs on top of my regular job. Also I got laid off and picked up somewhere else in between. But its all done now! I'm gonna go eat a lobster.

Going from -57k to +10k in 8 months is astounding, congratulations. Seriously you deserve that lobster.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Just finalized a promotion with a new title and ~12% salary increase. :hellyeah:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

super nice work on the raise. Always make sure your raise doesn't just grow your spending though!

Most definitely good advice. Fortunately it won't be a problem, I'm already saving about 40-45% of gross. I'll continue to keep about that savings rate, and enjoy the difference. :)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Cicero posted:

Personal Capital claims our net worth just passed the quarter mil mark! And it slightly underestimates things since it can't see the cash in my deutsche bank account. The second half of last year our net worth basically stalled/only slowly inched up due to moving continents, but this still feels pretty good.

Awesome, nice work! The 250k mark is a big milestone.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

No Butt Stuff posted:

You may be able to pay less by not needing financing. Being able to write a cash check makes some dealers drop prices.

The opposite is true. Dealers get kick backs if you use their financing, and you can potentially get a better deal that way.

Using your own financing is effectively the same as cash to a dealer. They get one big check either way, they don't care.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

non-trivial when you add up all the fees & risks of fraud, and the aggregate inconveniences and costs of divorcing a financial institution :respek:

Also just not supporting a poo poo-tier banking institution.

Sure, the loss of one couples' accounts isn't going to break them, but it's a good start. Voting with your wallet is the most impactful thing you can do.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

congrats. gently caress Wells Fargo.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

potatoducks posted:

I know about the whole scandal and all but is Wells Fargo really different now than say BoA? I assume they'll be under some pretty strict scrutiny. Too much of a pain to change my autopays.

All the huge retail banks are scummy, even if you've personally never had a problem with them. If you want to do the "right" thing find a good local bank or credit union and support them with your business.

"But my ATMs/Local Branches!" --
a) Nearly all credit unions are part of the Co-Op Network, which has one of the largest no-fee ATM networks in the country. For instance, nearly every 7-11 has a Co-Op ATM in it. Plus you can use branches of other Co-Op Network credit unions as if it were your own for most banking needs. Also many credit unions will reimburse out-of-network ATM fees (and often have low/no foreign transaction fees).
b) It's 2017 what do you need so many ATMs or local branches for, grandpa?

All that said, of course not all credit unions & local banks are great just because they are credit unions/local banks. But there are some great ones out there, both at the regional and national level. And they offer a lot of the same benefits and services of the mega retail banks like nice websites, free bill pay, apps with mobile deposit, Apple/Android pay, etc. without the mega bank bullshit. Plus you might actually earn some interest on your deposits rather than 0.01% APY.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 20, 2017

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

1/3 of the way to the two comma club. :toot:

These past couple years of market bonanza have put me somewhat ahead of plan, on paper, until something inevitably shits the bed. :v:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Congrats, that's a big milestone and achievement!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

Just accepted an offer to transition from a content role with my current company to a technical program manager gig, basically running process, meetings, and project planning for a software development team. Went from the ceiling of my old role to the floor of a new one, with a $15k raise. And my previous manager appreciated me enough that she pushed to get me an 18% bonus for the year. My savings account rejoices!

:hellyeah:

Congrats dude.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

thats it im fuckin done!

:fuckoff:

Time to go buy a new car! Just think of how much more debt you can take on now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also just signed closing docs on a refi, going from 3.875 to 2.69 on a 30 yr fixed. No points, ~$2500 in non prepaid costs. Brings the monthly down almost $500 and saves $150k over the life the loan. :hellyeah:

These rates are bananas, just last summer when I signed the original mortgage I thought 3.875 was crazy good.