Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

My wife and I worked ourselves out of debt, except for the remaining bit of her student loan, which we hope to finish paying off in August.

We have just over $15k in savings, and are about to purchase our house.

It's scary.

The house was left to my brother and I from my mother passing away, so I really only have to pay for half, but it's still about $140k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 2, 2004

Congrats!

What does your business do?

Oct 2, 2004

My wife and I took a little out of our savings account, and finally paid off her student loans.

Other than our mortgage which is about $140k, we're finally debt free and have close to $20k in a tax-free savings account. The mortgage is 2.99% fixed for 5 years, and we're getting 2% in the TFSA.

Each year we're allowed to pay up to 15% of the initial amount of the mortgage as an additional payment, which is about $21k per year.

Is it worth putting the money on the mortgage, or stashing it away somewhere?

Oct 2, 2004

Just had my two year review and had my salary bumped up by $6000. Holy crap it feels good.

Oct 2, 2004

Just got a 25% raise and moved up to lead programmer! :toot: