Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Well first off I signed up with mint.com, and it's amazingly helpful. I was using an app on my phone for budgeting, and that required that both I and my husband remembered to enter everything in manually. With mint.com being tied to both our accounts it's going to be a hell of a lot more accurate, plus it's got the student loans and what little credit card debt we have right there in one place.

Bigger news is that my husband landed a paid graphic design internship yesterday! It's $10 an hour while he's training and $12 after that, and lasts until February when their normal designer comes back from maternity leave. It'll be extra cash for us and a big boost to his resume.

I'm hoping to really start building more savings now. We've got like 8 grand but I'd like to knock out the credit card and some student loans and not have nothing left, so yeah. Time to get any unnecessary spending under control. I'm also trying to talk my husband into moving our savings to an online bank with higher interest and maybe to think about CDs or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Great! Congratulations to your husband, and good on you for working to improve your situation. I bolded the last sentence just because honestly it's probably not worth it unless you mean long term savings, not emergency fund. I was playing on bankrate this morning and you'll be hard pressed to find anything over 1% (maybe there was 1.25% somewhere) for a year CD. I saw a 1.5% rate for a 5 year one :sigh: My high interest online account with ING is yielding me an incredible .79% or something like that. It's about $5 a month on my current balance, which is a little less than $8000 so I guess pretty close to yours. If it's going to take much trying and talking into, don't waste the energy.

Liquidity concerns aside, I'm reluctant to get into something like a 5 year CD at 1.5% because hopefully after 2014 the fed will have stopped holding down interest rates, right? I know low rates good for borrowers but banks aren't lending so NOBODY WINS.

Thanks! Yeah after looking at rates and running numbers I came to the same conclusion. It kind of sucks :/