Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
That is much more than an incremental improvement, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats dev, that is kickass!

This month is a good month: my retirement savings just passed the 100k mark, something I'd hoped would happen before I turned 30, success! And my boss just gave me a $6600 bonus :v:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Speaking of self-publishing, talked with my boss about leaving to become a full-time author. He was excited for me and told me I had a job waiting for me anytime. aw yeah.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

surc posted:

Started a Roth IRA and non-retirement long term investments at 27 years old.
I wish I'd known about this stuff when I was just entering the workforce, if I had been contributing to an IRA instead of eating out so much when I was younger, I would be much better off. :(
Just knowing about this stuff puts you way ahead in life; so what if it took you a few years to get started? You're doing great just by starting now!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

pig slut lisa posted:

There's no one person I can thank in this subforum for getting me on the right path, but I'm really glad I sought out BFC eight months ago. I feel incredibly confident about my financial future. I have financial goals and a plan for getting there. It feels good, man. Here's to saving more money in 2015 :cheers:
:hfive: Congrats!!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Holy woot, just broke a quarter million dollars in income for the year! If you had told little kid me that someday I would be writing novels for a living, I would not have believed it. I doubt I'll pull it off again next year since I'd like to work less, not more, but saving most of this year's money should last me a while :v:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

7 novels/novel-length series. A couple of those were co-written, though, so it's not as much work as it seems. I'm hoping to write a novel each month for 2015 and alternate between my old pen names and new ones. All of them in romance. I'm going to try romantic comedy this next year, crossing my fingers that takes off since it's really what I love to write.

edit: it's really stupid because I hang out with all these amazing writers (including a few goons) who put out much more stuff and have been making much more than me. So even with all the success I have, I look at them and think I'm a total loser because I can't write 40k words each week, ha!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Aliquid posted:

This is against your own advice in the Self Publishing thread; I guess you earned it :v:
Yeah, well--

no, poo poo, you're right. I actually got so far as making the cover before realizing that I should be shooting for the FSOG audience with my new one, a billionaire dating reality TV show premise. It'll be funny, but that won't be the angle I use to market it. Another writer friend of mine hit the top 10 on Amazon with a romantic comedy marketed as billionaire romance, so it looks like that's where I'm headed (the marketing, not top 10. Although, crossing my fingers!)

I popped in here to say that I just maxed my roth for this year. It sucks not knowing what I can put in my solo 401k until I get my taxes done so hey, gotta get my taxes done!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Crossing my fingers that I get so ballin I have to go back and undo my Roth contributions for the year, haha! But now that I'm married I have a bit more leeway, too.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats, keep up the good work!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

AHHHH, I made more in February than I did my first YEAR of working. I remember that was the year I started posting in the Personal Finance thread in Ask/Tell so I'm going to go ahead and give you guys all the credit :toot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

legsarerequired posted:

Also, again thanks to you goons, I have influenced two people to take retirement seriously
So awesome to hear this! Glad to see you're getting on the right track to financial responsibility :3 Gives me the warm and fuzzies!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Higgy posted:

I totally realize this is a humblebrag
This is the thread for braggy brags, not humble brags. Take that modesty and get the hell out of here!

j/k, congrats on the big milestone!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

BossRighteous posted:

Wife got a surprise 10% raise. She didn't have to ask for it and it wasn't even part of a formal review.

Wife be killin' it.
Mad props to your wife!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

Gonna be fun to ... start house hunting.
That'll take care of all of the extra money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i own zero homes
GWM right here, kids

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Rolo posted:

I made a plan 8 months ago and today my total credit card debt is zero dollars.

Feels good.
Woooooooooooooo happy new year :toot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have saved enough to see a modest couple hundred net increase to my savings from last month.

Easy street here I come.
Hey, you have a chunk of life preserver to hang on to now, you're not just treading water! That is supremely important during bad times.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

WTF, duck sushi?

My little win for this past week was my laptop cracked wide open at the corner and I was pricing out new ones but I decided to try my hand at repairing since why not. Disassembling it was terrifying, so many little parts! Ten minutes of Youtube tutorials and $12 worth of epoxy and screwdrivers later, and now I am a Computer God. :toot:

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congrats on the new job and not spending all your raise on funko pops!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I passed the certified financial planner exam!!! They still won't give me the CFP marks until I meet the 6000 hour experience requirement, because apparently posting on here doesn't count as "relevant experience" according to those fuckers at the CFP board. Whatever, jerks.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, you can switch it to pretty much any other family member.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

gvibes posted:

Does it even have to be a family member?
Yeah.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Dance Officer posted:

I feel like I deserve to post in this thread finally because I hit 20k in the bank :toot:
That is huge, having a solid emergency fund makes everything so much less stressful. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

SlapActionJackson posted:

I doubt I'm the only one, but I'll be the first to brag about it: We had more in (unrealized) cap gains than gross W2 income for 2023.
We had more unrealized gains than expenses, woop woop.

Also I haven't bitten my nails so far this year, this is going to be the year of fancy elegant nails for me.